Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I wanna be a World Designer!
Posted By: RC MasterDate: 8/16/11 12:44 p.m.

The latest job that went up on Bungie's career page is the position of a world designer.

Bungie is seeking a passionate, creative, and omnipotent designer to build world activities within in our next universe. Your vision will become the Authority of Great Player Experiences, your ever-expanding mind will unleash the Sacred Secrets of Replay Value, and your voice will lead our players to the Promised Land.

As a World Designer at Bungie you will work with Designers, Producers, Artists, and Engineers to design our game worlds, develop engaging multiplayer experiences, and create dynamic AI encounters that will be talked about for years to come. You will evaluate gameplay pacing, flow, difficulty curves, and balance to polish all game activities for an optimum player experience. You will partner with user testing to evaluate ideas and implementations. You will ultimately be responsible for setup and fine tuning of gameplay experiences, including everything from story moments to player respawn points, and everything in between.

Emphasis mine.

It is interesting that the role of World Designer includes not only "engaging multiplayer experiences" but also "dynamic AI encounters". And again, both "story elements" and "respawn points". Things which were, in Halo, completely separate. Read it the right way, and you could construe it as lending credence to the MMOAG rumour.

Perhaps this is what dmiller was alluding to about not having 'Mission Designers' anymore.

What I also found interesting on the Jobs page was that the previous role of "Player Investment Designer" has been removed. Perhaps this role has been filled? Or perhaps bungie have clarified what they really want with the recent introduction of the role of "Economy Designer":

It’s the economy, stupid! Drive players to invest in our game economy by analyzing the subtleties of behavioral economics and pondering the pitfalls of specialization and free trade. Theorize why people make irrational economic choices and use the tricks you’ve learned to ensure players only make the irrational choices you want them to. Create an economic system that will fulfill a player’s needs just as much as shooting an alien in the face.

The Economy Designer at Bungie will develop a robust and rewarding game economy that drives player behavior toward intended goals and validate those systems through intense simulation, testing and iteration. You’ll design the systems and mechanics which drive in-game trade, satisfy the players’ need for possessions and wealth whilst ensuring rewards retain their intended value despite attempts to exploit or grief the system. You will determine what data is necessary to mine, ensure we have all of the hooks necessary to gather that data, and come up with all of the interesting metrics and questions we should ask of that data. You will run simulations of these mechanics based on expected player behavior and test these simulated results against actual player behavior; tuning the live system accordingly.

Emphasis mine.

Now, functionally, this role shares much with the previously listed one for 'Player Investment Designer" in terms of 'drive player behaviour', investing, possessions and being robust against exploits and such. However, this role is much more mathematically and well, economically orientated. For the Player Investment Designer they wanted someone with 3 years industry experience to help them to get players to invest, but they want someone who actually has a degree in economics for this!

I find the line about 'drive in-game trade' interesting. Of course it could literally just mean: you play, get credits, spend on armour. But again, if you read it the right way you could construe it as trade between players. Or at least something more in-depth than the one way street that was in Reach.

Thoughts?

p.s. I don't actually want to be a world designer, I don't think my grasp of colours is good enough :P

Message Index

Replies:

I wanna be a World Designer!RC Master 8/16/11 12:44 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!kornman00 8/16/11 1:04 p.m.
           Re: I wanna be a World Designer!FyreWulff 8/16/11 4:02 p.m.
                 IDK, I've never actually played WoW lol *NM*kornman00 8/16/11 4:49 p.m.
                       If you have to have EXP, or PI, or whateverBeckx 8/16/11 4:56 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!Raaascal 8/16/11 1:06 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!pete_the_duck 8/16/11 2:41 p.m.
     As long as it's nothing like this....Capt Spanish 8/16/11 4:14 p.m.
           Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Beckx 8/16/11 4:17 p.m.
                 Re: As long as it's nothing like this....excowboy83 8/16/11 4:30 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....ncsuDuncan 8/16/11 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....pete_the_duck 8/16/11 4:33 p.m.
                             Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Beckx 8/16/11 4:34 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Beckx 8/16/11 4:33 p.m.
                             Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Capt Spanish 8/16/11 5:36 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....RC Master 8/16/11 5:44 p.m.
                             Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Phoenix_9286 8/16/11 10:05 p.m.
                                   I agree. It wasn't perfect...Leviathan 8/17/11 3:14 a.m.
                                   Re: As long as it's nothing like this....RC Master 8/17/11 6:09 a.m.
                                         Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Archilen 8/17/11 6:40 a.m.
                                               Re: As long as it's nothing like this....excowboy83 8/17/11 12:57 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!dmiller 9/8/11 9:51 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.