Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I wish Halo comics were discussed here...*long*
Posted By: Leviathan <levihoffmeier@gmail.com>Date: 3/21/11 1:41 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I could account for a few myself (Hedgemony)

: That would be true if the comics weren't appealing to comic book readers who
: are not also gamers. I think the intention of 343i is to tell the story of
: Halo so that they can get non-gamers familiar with the Halo story from the
: beginning, so that they can later expand into tie-ins with the games and
: further explore current canon. The safest route to take was to build on
: the names of previous artist/writers without confusing new people. This
: the problem with trying to please two separate audiences.

: Leviathan's comic wouldn't work as a stand alone product....yet. Imagine if
: you picked up his comic without any knowledge of the Haloverse at all.
: You'd be lost.

: Now if Leviathan's work had of been included in the legendary pack for Reach
: or put online as a weekly build-up before the game was released, then that
: would make more sense because it's for fans already familiar with Halo.
: That's why we love it so much. We are in the know.

: Once 343i finish the current comic, I'm sure they have plans to tell stories
: that fans can appreciate more than stories that are seemingly
: "outside" of the games. I'd love to see more direct tie-ins with
: future games. Once again, Mass Effect has done this perfectly.

: -Hedge.

Operation Late Night Ramble - BEGIN!

... I would like the Halo comic books to be relevant and to bring speculation to the forums like the games and the novels do. Or like "Second Sunrise over New Mombassa" did. That is an ideal Halo comic for me: to tell stories the games could never do, but at the same time reinforce the various corners of the Haloverse. To know of the civilians who fought and died before the events of Halo 2, ODST, Halo 3, makes playing those segments on Earth more powerful.

I buy all the Halo comics that come out and like a lot of them, but I'm not sure if they all really take advantage of what their position can do with the overall Halo story, like how I mention above.

It's risky making standalone stories that don't rely on any of the game's knowledge, because one, you risk turning away the fans of the games, and two, you risk the chance of not pulling in the random comic-purchaser, because you're not exposing them to the real uniqueness of what Halo has to offer. It's risky to play it safe. (Heh, that's kinda funny to say...)

Granted, my comic is definitely geared towards those who have played Halo Reach - and I don't see how it couldn't with the story I wanted to tell. But there are those (not a LOT) on DeviantArt who know nothing about Halo and still seem to be enjoying my comic and are subsequently going to Halopedia and the like to figure out what the hell these doodles are talking about...

(Okay, now this next bit may seem like a tangent, but stay with me... I warned you this was a ramble! :P)

I remember going to the grocery store as a kid and buying Star Wars comics. On the backside of the front cover they would have a few paragraphs bringing you into the story and there would be a timeline of all the major events of the Star Wars universe and where the different books and comics fit into that. As a kid, I knew the basics of the Star Wars movies and was able to mostly understand the stories, even if I didn't understand how they all interrelated at first. The confusion I had stemming from the writers not dumbing it down for me and that respect for the persistence of the universe (don't know if that's still the case- it was a lot simpler back then before the prequels) didn't push me away, it did the reverse. Coupled with cool art and characters and vehicles that looked the same no matter what style the artist was using, I was ridiculously enthused to discover all the lore and stories that the universe held for me.

I want the Halo comics to be like this. I want the expectation that the reader DOES know something about the series he's getting into. I want a UNSC frigate to look the same no matter what artist draws it (not that he should break his style, but remember - X-Wings were X-wings, whether it was painted, drawn, or charcoaled... or whatever!).

For example, I want to make the Shadows of the Empire of the Halo story after Fistful. Begin with the ending of Halo 2, and end with the beginning of Halo 3 (this is actually already plotted out in my sketchbook). People who knew the basic core storyline of Halo would appreciate that kind of story I believe - especially if it was good. If they didn't know Halo, maybe they'd be pulled in with the art. And if they're not pulled in at all, maybe they will play the games one day, or read Fall of Reach -something in the franchise that introduces the reader to the universe as opposed to throwing them into the thick of it. Then someday they can come back and find that comic and enrich their experience. Instead of playing it safe, you find the stories that expand the universe while at the same time strengthening it.

Ok, so what I'm trying to say is, I think Halo comics should be smart and relevant and have a respect for the universe that already exists, and I also believe that such comics would still sell. :)

... I feel like I just wrote a manifesto, hah. Thanks for sticking with me, if you made it this far!

Message Index

Replies:

A Fistful of Arrows (pages 30-32) *IMGs*Leviathan 3/20/11 12:27 a.m.
     Last panel--TDSpiral 3/20/11 12:34 a.m.
           Re: Last panel--Video Cyborg 3/20/11 6:41 a.m.
     That last panel.LostSpartan987 3/20/11 12:37 a.m.
           Re: That last panel.Cody Moore 3/20/11 1:02 a.m.
                 Re: That last panel.Leviathan 3/20/11 2:19 a.m.
                       Re: That last panel.Cody Moore 3/22/11 3:12 a.m.
     I Heart Levipadraig08 3/20/11 2:11 a.m.
     I'm disappointed...Gravemind 3/20/11 2:30 a.m.
           I'd buy 30 copies if that would help convince...Leviathan 3/20/11 12:21 p.m.
                 I could account for a few myselfkidtsunami 3/20/11 4:39 p.m.
                       Re: I could account for a few myselfKermit 3/20/11 6:04 p.m.
                             Re: I could account for a few myselfHedgemony 3/20/11 6:19 p.m.
                                   Re: I could account for a few myselfChris101b 3/20/11 6:48 p.m.
                                         Re: I could account for a few myselfHedgemony 3/20/11 7:17 p.m.
                                               I wish Halo comics were discussed here...*long*Leviathan 3/21/11 1:41 a.m.
                                                     Re: I wish Halo comics were discussed here...*longHedgemony 3/21/11 2:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: I wish Halo comics were discussed here...*longHedgemony 3/21/11 2:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I wish Halo comics were discussed here...*longLeviathan 3/21/11 2:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: I wish Halo comics were discussed here...*longLeviathan 3/21/11 2:52 a.m.
                       Re: I could account for a few myselfkidtsunami 3/20/11 8:11 p.m.
                             Re: I could account for a few myselfArithmomaniac 3/20/11 8:45 p.m.
                                   Re: I could account for a few myselfkidtsunami 3/20/11 8:59 p.m.
                                         Re: I could account for a few myselfArithmomaniac 3/20/11 9:45 p.m.
     "Boo." *NM*Tex 3/20/11 2:32 a.m.
           Re: "Boo."DEEP NNN 3/20/11 7:41 a.m.
                 HBO: BooSonofMacPhisto 3/21/11 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: HBO: BooLouis Wu 3/21/11 11:24 a.m.
                             Re: HBO: BooSonofMacPhisto 3/21/11 11:44 a.m.
     Fantastic, as always *NM*Hawaiian Pig 3/20/11 2:42 a.m.
     Love it.BlueNinja 3/20/11 6:25 a.m.
     Awww, yeah.Beckx 3/20/11 8:30 a.m.
     Emile=brown noisejo 3/20/11 8:31 a.m.
     Great set upKermit 3/20/11 10:46 a.m.
     Dang it, Wu!Leviathan 3/20/11 11:38 a.m.
           Re: Dang it, Wu!Louis Wu 3/20/11 11:46 a.m.
                 HBO: Wu has the fabled "Edit" button. *NM*Hyokin 3/20/11 1:00 p.m.
                 Re: Dang it, Wu!NartFOpc 3/20/11 3:17 p.m.
     Thanks for the comments!Leviathan 3/20/11 12:25 p.m.
           Re: Thanks for the comments!CaptainTony 3/20/11 1:03 p.m.
     Yeah...Quirel 3/20/11 12:49 p.m.
     *Applause* *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/20/11 1:54 p.m.
     Re: A Fistful of Arrows (pages 30-32) *IMGs*Hedgemony 3/20/11 6:04 p.m.
           Re: A Fistful of Arrows (pages 30-32) *IMGs*sharpsniper99 3/20/11 6:11 p.m.
           Re: A Fistful of Arrows (pages 30-32) *IMGs*SonofMacPhisto 3/21/11 11:03 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.