Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Wait, what?
Posted By: Jordan117Date: 9/27/10 5:06 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Oh, you're one of those guys... (Spartan Jag)

: hey, General Vagueness told me I should be dead in another thread (there was
: a prank where Gordon claimed I'd killed myself and people believed him), I
: don't see you all calling for him to be burned at the stake (or in a
: bundle of sticks). What's worse? Calling someone a homosexual in a
: derogatory way, or encouraging someone to kill themselves? I mean, GV
: doesn't know me. What if I was suicidal and I was having a bad day and it
: pushed me closer to the edge? Just because he didn't use a big nasty word
: doesn't mean it's any less significant.

I think you misinterpreted what happened, unless there's something else I'm missing. Looking back at the thread, user electrojew posted a response to Voodoo Child's idiotic suicide "prank" saying:

too bad he isnt dead *serious*

no im just kidding, my condolenses to his family

General Vagueness then replied to that, saying:

Re: too bad he isnt dead *serious*
wow
WOW
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
I knew you were a stupid insensitive troll but I didn't know you were this.

So he actually *attacked* electrojew for saying that -- he never said it himself. I can see how the auto-copying of electrojew's post title in GV's response could give a misleading impression.

Anyway, the comment was posted in a semi-jokey, somewhat confusing way in an already contentious thread when all the focus was on the "pranksters." And the person who posted it hasn't been active in over a year. I wouldn't get too miffed that it didn't get as much ongoing negative attention as one with a blatantly offensive slur in the title.

: That being said, it's the internet. I'm not gonna cut myself because someone
: doesn't like me or calls me a bad name. If you're all crying that someone
: was insulting and used a naughty word, go back to watching the Family
: Channel. If it's too graphic for HBO, why isn't the word censored?

I understand HBO isn't a daycare and can in fact be pretty abrasive and raunchy. But there's no reason we should accept language that insults and demeans other, unrelated groups. There are plenty of sites that cater to the racist, sexist, homophobic crowd -- especially when it comes to gaming discussion. But they're the people that give gaming a bad name. I figured HBO was above that garbage. Even if it's not outright banned here, it doesn't need to be welcomed, or even tolerated. We choose what kind of community we want to be, and that's not the kind of community I want to see here, ever. And I think most people here would agree.

Message Index

Replies:

A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Battuta 9/26/10 1:25 p.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Battuta 9/26/10 1:29 p.m.
     Fall of Reach CanonCody Miller 9/26/10 1:45 p.m.
           Officially Licensed...Riceatron 9/26/10 1:53 p.m.
                 Re: Officially Licensed...Gordon Freeman 9/26/10 2:16 p.m.
                 Re: Officially Licensed...General Battuta 9/26/10 3:20 p.m.
                       Re: Officially Licensed...Tex 9/26/10 3:25 p.m.
                             Oh don't even.Riceatron 9/26/10 4:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Oh don't even.DHalo 9/26/10 4:46 p.m.
                                   ;3 *NM*Tex 9/26/10 6:08 p.m.
                                         : | *NM*Riceatron 9/26/10 6:17 p.m.
                                               HBO: : | *NM*SonofMacPhisto 9/26/10 6:42 p.m.
                                                     HBO: Riceatron is a faggot *NM*Gordon Freeman 9/26/10 8:13 p.m.
                                                           Absolutely uncalled for *NM*vlad3163 9/26/10 10:23 p.m.
                                                                 Agreed *NM*Avateur 9/26/10 11:07 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Absolutely uncalled forGordon Freeman 9/26/10 11:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Absolutely uncalled forvlad3163 9/26/10 11:26 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Absolutely uncalled forGordon Freeman 9/26/10 11:31 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Absolutely uncalled forvlad3163 9/26/10 11:42 p.m.
                                                                                   Oh, you're one of those guys...Jordan117 9/27/10 3:08 p.m.
                                                                                         Dude, I love Louis CK. *NM*Tex 9/27/10 3:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, you're one of those guys...Spartan Jag 9/27/10 4:36 p.m.
                                                                                               Wait, what?Jordan117 9/27/10 5:06 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Wait, what?General Vagueness 9/27/10 5:44 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Wait, what?Spartan Jag 9/27/10 11:20 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Wait, what?gunluva 9/27/10 11:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Me neither.Jordan117 9/28/10 2:23 a.m.
                                                                                                                       And here I thot this thread was relevant to the OP *NM*thebruce0 9/28/10 10:43 a.m.
                                                                                               It's the InternetHawaiian Pig 9/27/10 5:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Absolutely uncalled forAvateur 9/26/10 11:33 p.m.
                                                                 HBO: Absolutely uncalled for *NM*reprobate 9/27/10 1:35 a.m.
                                                           This is what I wake up to?Riceatron 9/27/10 6:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: This is what I wake up to?Wayward Spleen™ 9/27/10 2:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: This is what I wake up to?Crab 9/30/10 10:55 a.m.
                                                           HBO : Gordon Freeman is a dick.Riceatron 9/27/10 7:11 a.m.
                                                                 Re: HBO : Gordon Freeman is a dick.RyanTheHeretic 9/27/10 7:17 a.m.
                                                                 Re: HBO : Gordon Freeman is a dick.Spartan Jag 9/27/10 1:56 p.m.
                                                           Re: HBO: Riceatron is a faggotFrankie 9/27/10 1:40 p.m.
                                                                 HBO: Makes Frankie ask "wtf"? *NM*Wayward Spleen™ 9/27/10 2:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: HBO: Riceatron is a faggotQuirel 9/27/10 3:21 p.m.
           Re: Fall of Reach Canonfuriocity 9/26/10 3:00 p.m.
                 Re: Fall of Reach CanonThe BS Police 9/26/10 3:04 p.m.
                 Re: Fall of Reach CanonStephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/26/10 3:12 p.m.
     Seriously, people!General Battuta 9/26/10 3:19 p.m.
     Upboatedkapowaz 9/26/10 3:38 p.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryAvateur 9/26/10 3:38 p.m.
           Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Battuta 9/26/10 3:59 p.m.
                 Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryHawaiian Pig 9/26/10 4:37 p.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryRiceatron 9/26/10 4:49 p.m.
           Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryBlueNinja 9/26/10 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StorySilent Knight 9/26/10 6:45 p.m.
                 Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's Storythebruce0 9/28/10 10:51 a.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Vagueness 9/27/10 12:28 a.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryKermit 9/27/10 11:55 a.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryWayward Spleen™ 9/27/10 12:54 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.