Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's Story
Posted By: BlueNinja <kennethdemuyt@msn.com>Date: 9/26/10 5:30 p.m.

In Response To: Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's Story (Riceatron)

: Hurr durr porp a worpa dorp.
: That is for you, sir.

: This, when people aren't speaking English, everything seems to go fine. Maybe
: the whole game should have been translated into Hungarian.
: Seriously, though. The two moments Jorge had in the game, aside from his
: death, were probably the most appealing pieces of dialogue Reach had to
: offer, and its sad considering Halo has always been chock full of
: interesting dialogue
: "Listen up, Noble Team. We have a downed relay outpost fifty kliks from
: Visegrad"
: Yeah, Carter. We know.
: It was in the damned opening cutscene.

: Definately.

: >Find the marines
: >Kill covenant
: >Marine goes "Sir. It's the Covenant. They're on Reach"
: "OH SHIT THE COVENANT IS THAT WHAT WE JUST FOUGHT!? OH FUCK I COULDN'T
: TELL"

: "ENEMY BAD GUYS OVER THERE!"
: Halo is nothing if not optimistic, and the dialogue has always reflected
: that. We've always had groups of marines filled with smartasses who run at
: the mouth and say hilarious things like "are you made of leprechauns,
: cause that was awesome!"

: Reach failed to deliver in a lot of places when it came to dialogue

: Jorge "Three, Zealot class. Armor configuration matched";
: Six "Shield strength too!"

: Oh haha, Six thinks he's a people.
: I can't even remember anyone saying anything besides Jorge, and the
: occasional Jun 'OH LOOK AT ME I'M A BADASS NINJA' line of dialogue.
: "Something in the fields.. Killed his son"
: "Something"

: OOOoooOooOOoooOOH.

: [snip]
: You know my opinion on these matters, no need in repeating them. I've voiced
: them enough in HP's thread and the Teleporter thread

: Well, most of those quotes happened at the BEGINNING of FoR... So... All
: clear?
: I dunno.
: I'm with you on the who contradiction/inconsistency thing to a degree.

: It just occured to me the players who don't care for Halo's story at all are
: gonna be like "Wait, Cortana chose Six? Is that what she was talking
: about in Halo 3's opening cutscene?"

People who don't know or care about Halo's storyline probably won't even remember Cortana said that. A friend of mine who'd beaten the game thought Reach took place hundreds of years before Halo 1. The Cortana references, heck, even the remake of Halo's first cutscene at the end: they all went over his head, and he's played all the games. We, the ones who know enough to be able to debate about it, are in the minority. Of all the people who bought and played Reach, only a small fraction is even aware Bungie's new storyline clashes with how it was originally conceived

Sure, you've got a point about games superceding the novels canon-wise, but Bungie had to approve the story of FoR when it came out all those years ago, as well. Sure, they made the universe, so they can bend canon if they need to. The thing is, why did they? I'm positive Reach could've had an as much engaging story without completely screwing up the timeline. They included Cortana and the Pillar of Autumn possibly out of fan service, but they could just as easily have come up with a story that didn't require the PoA to be in two places at once. I love Reach, and I love its story, but when viewed from a canon perspective they really dropped the ball.

I agree with the OP about dialogue, to a certain extent. There's some great dialogue in Reach, which imo makes the rough spots stand out. Nothing's perfect, I guess. Apologies if my writing in this post seems a bit off, I typed this from my cell phone.

Message Index

Replies:

A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Battuta 9/26/10 1:25 p.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Battuta 9/26/10 1:29 p.m.
     Fall of Reach CanonCody Miller 9/26/10 1:45 p.m.
           Officially Licensed...Riceatron 9/26/10 1:53 p.m.
                 Re: Officially Licensed...Gordon Freeman 9/26/10 2:16 p.m.
                 Re: Officially Licensed...General Battuta 9/26/10 3:20 p.m.
                       Re: Officially Licensed...Tex 9/26/10 3:25 p.m.
                             Oh don't even.Riceatron 9/26/10 4:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Oh don't even.DHalo 9/26/10 4:46 p.m.
                                   ;3 *NM*Tex 9/26/10 6:08 p.m.
                                         : | *NM*Riceatron 9/26/10 6:17 p.m.
                                               HBO: : | *NM*SonofMacPhisto 9/26/10 6:42 p.m.
                                                     HBO: Riceatron is a faggot *NM*Gordon Freeman 9/26/10 8:13 p.m.
                                                           Absolutely uncalled for *NM*vlad3163 9/26/10 10:23 p.m.
                                                                 Agreed *NM*Avateur 9/26/10 11:07 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Absolutely uncalled forGordon Freeman 9/26/10 11:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Absolutely uncalled forvlad3163 9/26/10 11:26 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Absolutely uncalled forGordon Freeman 9/26/10 11:31 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Absolutely uncalled forvlad3163 9/26/10 11:42 p.m.
                                                                                   Oh, you're one of those guys...Jordan117 9/27/10 3:08 p.m.
                                                                                         Dude, I love Louis CK. *NM*Tex 9/27/10 3:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, you're one of those guys...Spartan Jag 9/27/10 4:36 p.m.
                                                                                               Wait, what?Jordan117 9/27/10 5:06 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Wait, what?General Vagueness 9/27/10 5:44 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Wait, what?Spartan Jag 9/27/10 11:20 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Wait, what?gunluva 9/27/10 11:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Me neither.Jordan117 9/28/10 2:23 a.m.
                                                                                                                       And here I thot this thread was relevant to the OP *NM*thebruce0 9/28/10 10:43 a.m.
                                                                                               It's the InternetHawaiian Pig 9/27/10 5:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Absolutely uncalled forAvateur 9/26/10 11:33 p.m.
                                                                 HBO: Absolutely uncalled for *NM*reprobate 9/27/10 1:35 a.m.
                                                           This is what I wake up to?Riceatron 9/27/10 6:59 a.m.
                                                                 Re: This is what I wake up to?Wayward Spleen™ 9/27/10 2:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: This is what I wake up to?Crab 9/30/10 10:55 a.m.
                                                           HBO : Gordon Freeman is a dick.Riceatron 9/27/10 7:11 a.m.
                                                                 Re: HBO : Gordon Freeman is a dick.RyanTheHeretic 9/27/10 7:17 a.m.
                                                                 Re: HBO : Gordon Freeman is a dick.Spartan Jag 9/27/10 1:56 p.m.
                                                           Re: HBO: Riceatron is a faggotFrankie 9/27/10 1:40 p.m.
                                                                 HBO: Makes Frankie ask "wtf"? *NM*Wayward Spleen™ 9/27/10 2:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: HBO: Riceatron is a faggotQuirel 9/27/10 3:21 p.m.
           Re: Fall of Reach Canonfuriocity 9/26/10 3:00 p.m.
                 Re: Fall of Reach CanonThe BS Police 9/26/10 3:04 p.m.
                 Re: Fall of Reach CanonStephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/26/10 3:12 p.m.
     Seriously, people!General Battuta 9/26/10 3:19 p.m.
     Upboatedkapowaz 9/26/10 3:38 p.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryAvateur 9/26/10 3:38 p.m.
           Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Battuta 9/26/10 3:59 p.m.
                 Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryHawaiian Pig 9/26/10 4:37 p.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryRiceatron 9/26/10 4:49 p.m.
           Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryBlueNinja 9/26/10 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StorySilent Knight 9/26/10 6:45 p.m.
                 Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's Storythebruce0 9/28/10 10:51 a.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryGeneral Vagueness 9/27/10 12:28 a.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryKermit 9/27/10 11:55 a.m.
     Re: A Tiered Critique of Reach's StoryWayward Spleen™ 9/27/10 12:54 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.