Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Elites are not defectors
Posted By: scarabDate: 12/11/09 5:19 p.m.

Nor are they rebels.

I was reading the Halo 101 articles on Waypoint and the titled The Ark and its aftermath (or whatever) refers to the Elites as defectors from the Covenant.

They did not defect. The Prophets split the Covenant. The Covenant as a political entity was based on a covenant between the Prophets and the Elites. (covenant == agreement or contract) This covenant was extended to the other species that were 'invited' to join the Covenant by accepting the covenant.

The Prophets broke the covenant and therefore lost any right to rule. If any party could be said to be rebels it would be the Prophets, the covenant breakers. But it wasn't really a rebellion against the legal/rightful authority. It was a betrayal of trust, an oath breaking.

The Elites didn't leave of their own volition, they were cast out, sentenced to death, expelled by force.

Why does Bungie insist in using the wrong terms? I think I have been called a heretic by Covenant forces when I was playing as a Human. Heretics are minorities, people who profess to believe the same religion as the majority but have a different interpretation of their, supposedly shared, religion.

Humans do not worship the Forerunner so they don't qualify as believers and are therefore not capable of being heretics.

Good grief, this actually annoys me when I am playing the game — to the point were I want to overkill the perpetrators and pistol whip their corpses.

I've heard of Nerd Rage but Pedant Rage?!?!! :-)

Message Index

Replies:

Elites are not defectorsscarab 12/11/09 5:19 p.m.
     Re: Elites are not defectorsGrimBrother One 12/11/09 5:27 p.m.
           Re: Elites are not defectorsscarab 12/11/09 5:46 p.m.
                 Re: Elites are not defectorsInnerRayg 12/12/09 2:53 a.m.
                       Re: Elites are not defectorsscarab 12/12/09 5:15 a.m.
                             Re: Elites are not defectorsInnerRayg 12/12/09 5:53 a.m.
           Re: Elites are not defectorsTime Glitch 12/11/09 5:46 p.m.
                 Re: Elites are not defectorsscarab 12/11/09 6:00 p.m.
                       Re: Elites are not defectorsGravemind 12/11/09 6:38 p.m.
                             Re: Elites are not defectorsscarab 12/12/09 5:37 a.m.
     Re: Elites are not defectorsAzo 'Galvat 12/11/09 10:59 p.m.
           Re: Elites are not defectorsscarab 12/12/09 4:51 a.m.
                 Re: Elites are not defectors - Evolutions *SP*Bry 12/12/09 5:56 a.m.
                       Re: Elites are not defectors - Evolutions *SP*scarab 12/12/09 6:56 a.m.
                       Re: Elites are not defectors - Evolutions *SP*Azo 'Galvat 12/12/09 9:25 a.m.
                             Re: Elites are not defectors - Evolutions *SP*Frankie 12/13/09 12:52 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.