Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Please remember...
Posted By: Miguel Chavez <bs@bungie.org>Date: 11/13/01 9:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: cowardice (Nijhazer)

: You said it, man... "myths". Meaning, something that is not true.
: Said myths were never confirmed by Bungie; therefore Bungie never said it
: was going to happen.

: If you're upset that Bungie didn't come around bashing every single rumor
: that got started about the game, I can count the number of people here who
: give a damn on one hand. The fact is that when those rumors were going
: around, much of Halo's gameplay was still undecided; that much, Bungie
: confirmed from the very beginning. It's not unreasonable for a software
: company to assume that when they say that much of the game's gameplay has
: still not been determined, that rumors non-Bungie folks start about it
: will be treated as nothing more than exactly what they are.

: -Nij

Something I think we're all forgetting (like a bad dream, mb?)...

There was a time when Nathan Bitner was the official spokesperson for Halo. Personally, I'm sure he's a fine fella, but his contribution to the perception folks had of the game was unfortunate. He blurted out more than he should have, IMO. I mean, it's understandable that one can't help but be excited about where a game is going, but he seemed to have a problem with seperating his very delicate role as spokesperson and joining in with all the fanboi speculation.

Do we recall the comments about the flag waving in the first Halo movie? The 'physics' of the flag and all that? You'll have to excuse me for not pulling up the relevant posts here, but I think he clued us in on all the 'possible' engine enhancements that was going to blow the competition away without the usual caveats. My personal response was that I had to build-up my own 'improbabilty' detector around that time, to make up for what should've been done for me by the company/game spokesperson.

This explains, to me at least, the reticence Matt has expressed into getting too detailed in his posts. Invariably, some little remark gets expanded to 'mountain'-size elaborateness, and Matt, with good intentions, is left holding the bag. Yet even with such a dilemma, Matt was able to keep the Weekly Halo update going for about a year. Good on ya, Matt! :)

(and to continue to add to the laffs in this post, consider the irony that the ONE thing Matt has clearly stated over and fucking over again, the PC/Mac Halo port thing, has been ignored over and over again by folks. Ahh, I kill myself!)

I may be remembering the era of Bitner all wrong, and if so I apologize profusely, but it *is* how I remember that time many a moon ago. And like I said, I don't think Nathan's a bad guy at all, and hope whatever he's doing now turns out to be a success. Hell if I'm going to turn down a decent game. :)

Sorry for going a little off topic... I think your post is dead-on Nij, I just wanted to clarify it a bit and maybe suggest that for a small time Bungie wasn't tight-lipped over all aspects of the game when it should've been.

And as always, my continued example of how they're being even MORE anal about announcing something before it's time.. Phoenix. A very top secret game. Although I'm pretty sure by E3 '02 we'll know what's up with that.

Message Index

Replies:

(Mostly) New Review at gaming-ageFlawless Cowboy 11/12/01 9:49 p.m.
     Re: (Mostly) New Review at gaming-ageno7orious 11/12/01 10:50 p.m.
           Re: (Mostly) New Review at gaming-agevector40 11/13/01 12:14 a.m.
     Re: (Mostly) New Review at gaming-agevector40 11/13/01 12:14 a.m.
     AHA! Definate proof!!!Afoxi 11/13/01 6:39 a.m.
           Re: AHA! Definate proof!!!Lophan 11/13/01 7:12 a.m.
                 Re: AHA! Definate proof!!!Djof@School 11/13/01 8:39 a.m.
                 Yeah it is.X 11/13/01 11:16 a.m.
                       Re: cowardiceNijhazer 11/13/01 11:34 a.m.
                             Re: cowardiceX 11/13/01 12:17 p.m.
                                   Re: cowardiceNijhazer 11/13/01 1:12 p.m.
                                         Re: Bust-out!!!!...lol *NM*kayas 11/13/01 1:16 p.m.
                                   This is just plain wrong.Louis Wu 11/13/01 2:01 p.m.
                                         Yes, I think he does...beef 11/13/01 2:20 p.m.
                                               Re: Yes, I think he does...ApolokiA 11/13/01 6:36 p.m.
                                   Re: cowardiceMark Levin 11/13/01 3:17 p.m.
                                         Re: cowardicevector40 11/13/01 8:02 p.m.
                                               Re: cowardiceMark Levin 11/13/01 9:03 p.m.
                                                     Re: cowardicevector40 11/13/01 10:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: cowardicemnemesis 11/13/01 11:00 p.m.
                             Please remember...Miguel Chavez 11/13/01 9:57 p.m.
                                   oh yeah, in the good ol daysslumbermonkey 11/13/01 10:09 p.m.
                       Re: Yeah it is.Lophan 11/13/01 12:22 p.m.
                       Re: Yeah it is.Ferrex (Microserf) 11/13/01 1:07 p.m.
                             Re: Yeah it is.ApolokiA 11/13/01 6:42 p.m.
                       Early press, Halo network modelsNarcogen 11/14/01 1:30 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.