glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Thanks for the intelligent responses guys :)
Posted By: mterlouw <mterlouw@consolevision.com>Date: 10/30/01 1:42 a.m.

In Response To: To the developers...IPX through IP tunneling (mterlouw)

Thanks for your insight.

I don't know for sure Halo uses IPX, but I doubt they would create a custom protocol for Xbox <-> Xbox communication (so it's got to be something we can work with, i.e. IPX or TCP-UDP/IP).

I'm aware packets don't instantly arrive at their destination when sent--that there is always some latency. By lag I mean any latency that would prevent the data from arriving out of whatever 'window' it needs to be in. Obviously the amount of time it takes to propogate a packet of data across a Halo LAN will vary depending on how many Xboxes are linked, but that same packet travelling across the Internet will take much longer. If you're on cable this can be minimized by playing with others in your subnet, but it's still probably longer than the designers of Halo intended.

The question is, how will Halo react to the slower-travelling packets? We will have to wait to see about this, but I was hoping to get some speculation from the devers, maybe an 'educated guess' based on the knowledge of how the game is coded.

Message Index

Replies:

To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingmterlouw 10/29/01 10:35 p.m.
     Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingPaul Roberts 10/29/01 10:49 p.m.
     Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingvector40 10/29/01 10:57 p.m.
     Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingNarcogen 10/30/01 12:58 a.m.
     Thanks for the intelligent responses guys :)mterlouw 10/30/01 1:42 a.m.
           Re: Thanks for the intelligent responses guys :)FriendlyFire 10/30/01 9:37 a.m.
     Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingmodem 10/30/01 3:16 p.m.
           Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingSpaceAceX 10/31/01 9:02 a.m.
                 Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingLouis Wu 10/31/01 9:12 a.m.
                       Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingSpaceAceX 10/31/01 6:17 p.m.
                             Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingvector40 10/31/01 7:10 p.m.
                       Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingvector40 10/31/01 7:09 p.m.
                             Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingRed Hot Ryan 10/31/01 9:21 p.m.
           Re: To the developers...IPX through IP tunnelingTsudico 11/1/01 10:24 a.m.
     Kalijohn beeler 11/1/01 9:01 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.