Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: New screenshot observations/question
Posted By: Saber <pablorules@mac.com>Date: 9/29/01 6:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: New screenshot observations/question (Louis Wu)

: I think you're totally and utterly confused. She seems to me to be CLEARLY on
: the other side of the glass - the orange stuff is between the viewer and
: her, the two screens at the bottom are between the viewer and her, the
: small screen by her hip is behind her (on the back wall). I have NO idea
: where you're getting the idea that she's on our side of the glass - you
: can't see the bottom edge of the glass obscuring her calf? (It's still
: glass, even though you're looking at an edge, so it's not opaque... which
: is why you can see her through it.)

: You've totally lost me.

I think it's all a matter of perspective. It's like drawing a 3 dimensional cube or rectangular object where you can see all the edges. The opening can be in several locations depending on how you see it.

In the Cortana image, if the lower concrete/metal/marble strip is NOT part of the glass and is opaque, then the reflection of Cortana's shins means that she is on this side of the glass. I think that's what Darkman was saying.

If that's the case, then to explain the other things you saw:

: the orange stuff is between the viewer and
: her,

The orange stuff is very bright so her reflection wouldn't show up in it as well. Sort of like a CRT monitor, the dark edges reflect better than the lighted desktop.

: the two screens at the bottom are between the viewer and her,

Maybe, but I think the same reflectivity I mentioned above could apply here. Those screens obviously can't be reflections since I can read some of the words on them. ie. "Landing Zone", etc. But they could be on this side of the glass and maybe they are a holographic projection. Maybe they are the control panel for the large screen. If they were on the other side of the glass, it appears they would be too close to the screen and you couldn't get between them and the glass to look at them. And if they are on the other side of the glass, why are they so much brighter than the screen in the background? And if they are the control panel and on the other side of the glass, why would they face away from the screen?

: the
: small screen by her hip is behind her (on the back wall).

The back wall could be a reflection of the wall behind our view.

Some more observations:

- She appears to be in front of the grid that shows up in the glass. Her purple areas more than her black areas.
- If she's on this side of the glass, where is her actual image? (Maybe the camera was just moved in front of her)
- If she's on the other side of the glass, why doesn't she come around to our side to more easily read the numbers and text? (Yeah, yeah, she's a genius AI that can easily read the text in any direction. :-) )

I can still go either way on this. I can see her behind the glass and on this side. My first impression was that she was on the other side of the glass. To someone who's played the game I'm sure it is obvious. This wouldn't be part of the NDA would it? Did the NDA say you couldn't tell us whether glass panels used to display info on the PoA were on the wall or out in the center of the room? ;-)

Message Index

Replies:

New screenshot observations/questionDarkman 9/29/01 9:00 a.m.
     Re: New screenshot observations/questionLouis Wu 9/29/01 9:28 a.m.
           Re: New screenshot observations/questionLord General MB 9/29/01 3:53 p.m.
                 Re: New screenshot observations/questionkayas 9/30/01 4:24 p.m.
           Re: New screenshot observations/questionvector40 9/29/01 5:25 p.m.
                 Re: New screenshot observations/questionDan Rudolph 9/30/01 12:53 a.m.
                       Re: New screenshot observations/questionvector40 9/30/01 12:57 a.m.
                             Re: New screenshot observations/questionDan Rudolph 10/1/01 1:47 a.m.
                                   Re: New screenshot observations/questionvector40 10/1/01 7:00 p.m.
                                         Re: New screenshot observations/questionvector40 10/1/01 7:02 p.m.
           Re: New screenshot observations/questionSaber 9/29/01 6:15 p.m.
           Re: New screenshot observations/questionDarkman 9/29/01 7:25 p.m.
                 Hologram Emitterjeremedia 9/30/01 2:05 a.m.
                       Re: Hologram EmitterSwitchblade 9/30/01 4:31 p.m.
     Suggested room setupCunbelin The Surly 9/30/01 4:27 a.m.
           Re: Suggested room setupSkeletor 9/30/01 6:26 a.m.
                 Who cares?-mortensenj 9/30/01 1:31 p.m.
                       Re: Who cares? My Nuts *NM* *NM*kayas 9/30/01 4:29 p.m.
     Re: New screenshot observations/questionScalper 9/30/01 2:42 p.m.
           Re: New screenshot observations/questionScalper 9/30/01 2:46 p.m.
                 Brain Cloud.Dispatcher 9/30/01 3:29 p.m.
                       Re: Brain Cloud.vector40 9/30/01 5:06 p.m.
                 Re: New screenshot observations/questionvector40 9/30/01 3:30 p.m.
     You Fools!! It's the POA Bridge!Phallic Effigy 9/30/01 4:33 p.m.
     Re: New screenshot observations/questionVan Fanel 9/30/01 4:48 p.m.
           Re: New screenshot observations/questionDarkman 9/30/01 5:28 p.m.
     Re: New screenshot observations/questionbobby 9/30/01 5:42 p.m.
           Re: New screenshot observations/questionThe Red Fox 9/30/01 7:49 p.m.
                 Re: New screenshot observations/questionDarkman 9/30/01 8:10 p.m.
                       Re: New screenshot observations/questionshamsel 9/30/01 8:36 p.m.
                             Re: New screenshot observations/questionvector40 9/30/01 9:46 p.m.
                                   Re: New screenshot observations/questionDarkman 9/30/01 10:25 p.m.
                                         Re: New screenshot observations/questionvector40 9/30/01 11:37 p.m.
                                               Re: New screenshot observations/questionDarkman 10/2/01 1:42 a.m.
     Re: New screenshot observations/questionOmniscient 9/30/01 10:37 p.m.
     Hehehe. This is GREAT.Sholl 10/1/01 12:12 a.m.
           Re: Hehehe. This is GREAT.Skeletor 10/1/01 1:37 a.m.
                 Re: Hehehe. This is GREAT.The Red Fox 10/1/01 6:17 a.m.
                       Re: Hehehe. This is GREAT.vector40 10/1/01 6:58 p.m.
                             Re: Hehehe. This is GREAT.PsysicTV 10/3/01 12:00 a.m.
     Re: New screenshot observations/questionRandomBoB 10/1/01 9:28 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.