Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: dev cam?
Posted By: RVideo <racer4770@aim.com>Date: 4/9/08 8:55 a.m.

In Response To: dev cam? (nomis78)

: what is it and how do you access it? :S

Devcam is just an old term that refers to the modified "cameras" that were used in Halo and Halo2 - short for "developer's cam" I believe.
Youtube has a ton of video tutorials on how to get into pan-cam mode. The neat thing about pan-cam (Halo3's version of the old Devcam) is that anyone can use it. In Halo2, to operate a devcam, you had to run a modified Xbox that would allow for the special trainer to run concurrently with the game engine. You also had to have a special trainer loader as well and, of course, you had to learn/memorize a fair list of control options.

The only drawbacks for Halo3's pan cam are that (a) you cannot use them during cutscenes (b) pan-cam does not work on playback for XBL games (even when you aren't signed on) (c) It still requires a few steps to initiate every time and (d) Halo3's rendering engine is very unforgiving if you bound too far outside of the main map - some maps have quite a few layers of barriers, all of which effect even pan-cam mode (makes it difficult to move around sometimes).

Also, nobody knows when the pan-can functionality will be 'fixed' meaning that any upcoming patches/updates may disable it's use. While it is completely harmless and can only be used in very specific circumstances and provides of course no tactical benefit for any gameplay, it's a fair bet that this may be fixed (or more appropriately - disabled) in the future, although it's anybody's guess.

If and when pan-cam is "patched", it will be pretty much impossible to explore or create special screenshots of distant game assets as shown in my panoramas and other images and videos.

Fore me personally, the only two hurdles that I have yet to accomplish are getting out of The Pit and finding out how to break away from the cutscene camera during cutscene playback. To date, I have not found any way to capture any screenshots with Cortana aside from the given in-game camera angles. I have a lot of hopeful ideas for hi=res composites from some of our favorite H3 cutscenes, but I am afraid it's a good chance that will never happen.

Message Index

Replies:

More devcam (pan-scan) panosRVideo 4/8/08 11:47 p.m.
     Re: More devcam (pan-scan) panosreprobate 4/9/08 12:14 a.m.
           Your paranomas are the best! *NM*SPU7N1K 4/9/08 2:09 a.m.
                 thx, i no *NM*reprobate 4/9/08 3:35 a.m.
     Re: More devcam (pan-scan) panosRVideo 4/9/08 4:42 a.m.
     Re: More devcam (pan-scan) panosmendicantbias00 4/9/08 7:06 a.m.
           dev cam?nomis78 4/9/08 8:17 a.m.
                 Re: dev cam?RVideo 4/9/08 8:55 a.m.
                       Re: dev cam?mendicantbias00 4/9/08 9:47 a.m.
                             Re: dev cam?RVideo 4/9/08 4:46 p.m.
                       Re: dev cam?SPU7N1K 4/9/08 9:48 a.m.
                 Re: dev cam?pete_the_duck 4/9/08 9:48 a.m.
                       Can you post more elaborate directions?Littlebigman 4/10/08 2:29 p.m.
                             Re: Can you post more elaborate directions?nomis78 4/10/08 6:22 p.m.
                       Re: dev cam?discopete019 4/12/08 7:58 p.m.
                             Re: dev cam?pete_the_duck 4/12/08 8:20 p.m.
                                   Re: dev cam?discopete019 4/12/08 9:08 p.m.
                                         Re: dev cam?pete_the_duck 4/12/08 9:20 p.m.
                                               Re: dev cam?discopete019 4/12/08 9:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: dev cam?discopete019 4/13/08 5:34 p.m.
                                                           Re: dev cam?pete_the_duck 4/13/08 5:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: dev cam?discopete019 4/13/08 5:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: dev cam?mendicantbias00 4/13/08 7:30 p.m.
                                                                             Re: dev cam?discopete019 4/13/08 7:56 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.