Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Upon further scrutinization...
Posted By: gspawnDate: 9/9/06 7:17 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Upon further scrutinization... (Peptuck)

: Evidence? i can't see much of a difference between the two....

The armor in the background has the "hand holes"- it's certainly mark VI. Also, don't jump to the conclusion that because that one's holding the AR that it's Halo (1) armor as I think some people might be doing. MC was holding the Assault Rifle in the Halo 3 trailer, remember?

The one in front seems to me to certainly be in Mark V. At the least, you can check the back of his helmet. The old armor had a big pad of "black stuff" on the back. The new armor cut that off almost completely.

So those two are definately in two different suits of Mjolnir. Apply Occam's razor with a combination of inductive reasoning... if two characters are in different states of SPARTAN armor, the third is most likely also in some revision of the armor. As noted elsewhere, the unknown armor has no "shield stuff", meaning it's most likely an older model. The shield pack could have been slimmed down, but...

Due to chronology, we can also speculate that this novel takes place before Halo 3 (in line with other novels), and we've clearly seen that Master Chief is in the Mark VI in Halo 3 (trailer again). If a newer armor was developed between Halo 2 and Halo 3, wouldn't Chief be wearing it by the time H3 starts?

The back cover mentions lots of normal soldiers, a secret program, and (presumably only) one SPARTAN. Again, taking the simplest explanation and assuming the cover relates to this, we're looking at at least 1 normal soldier pushed into MJOLNIR. As in, one SPARTAN could have been chosen to lead the project, then Chief got called in (since he's sort of the story focus) meaning we'd have a maximum of two SPARTANs on scene (if the story sticks to the cover premise). Even more likely, there would only be the one SPARTAN and two normal people crammed into MJOLNIR.

Again, taking the simplest avenue available, the goal of S-III is cramming normal people into whatever MJOLNIR can be found to create a sort of "Spartan-III" class of warriors. Only one's supposed to be on scene, yet we see 3, and they're wearing gear that comes from an odd assortment of time periods... looks rag-tag enough to me.

Finally, for those who think the "new guy" is the Forerunner intelligence mentioned... I say have a look at Pathways into Darkness. I'd be willing to bet the ancient Forerunner intelligence is slowly waking and might have some way of activating the Halos (or at least destroying the S-III project), and this will result in the classic dilemma of needing to nuke the **** out of it.

All IMHO, of course.

BTW: I couldn't help but think the gun they're holding is the one from Fall of Reach (MA4B maybe?)... it is supposed to be shorter.

Message Index

Replies:

Ghosts of Onyx speculation58 9/8/06 8:49 p.m.
     Upon further scrutinization...58 9/8/06 9:34 p.m.
           Re: Upon further scrutinization...Bodie 9/8/06 9:50 p.m.
                 Re: Upon further scrutinization...Cocopjojo 9/8/06 9:54 p.m.
                 Re: Upon further scrutinization...UrsusArctos 9/8/06 10:17 p.m.
                       Re: Upon further scrutinization...58 9/8/06 10:39 p.m.
                             Re: Upon further scrutinization...Peptuck 9/9/06 2:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Upon further scrutinization...gspawn 9/9/06 7:17 a.m.
                 Re: Upon further scrutinization...Peptuck 9/9/06 1:50 a.m.
           My ThoughtsSteve 9/8/06 10:07 p.m.
                 Re: My Thoughts58 9/8/06 10:38 p.m.
                       Re: My Thoughtsserpx 9/8/06 11:25 p.m.
                             Re: My Thoughts58 9/9/06 12:11 a.m.
                       Re: My ThoughtsCorinator 9/8/06 11:35 p.m.
                             Re: My ThoughtsRosco-128 9/9/06 1:18 a.m.
                                   Re: My Thoughtsj41m3z 9/9/06 1:20 a.m.
     Re: Ghosts of Onyx speculationvlad3163 9/9/06 1:08 a.m.
           Re: Ghosts of Onyx speculationSPARTAN-034 9/9/06 12:40 p.m.
                 Re: Ghosts of Onyx speculationSmackblasta 9/28/06 12:11 a.m.
                       ::snicker:: a little behind schedule.Smackblasta 9/28/06 12:12 a.m.
                       It was specified as non-Spartan armor by Frankie. *NM*Document 9/28/06 12:14 a.m.
                             Re: MadnessSkunkwurx 9/29/06 10:21 a.m.
                       Re: Ghosts of Onyx speculationSkunkwurx 10/1/06 3:02 p.m.
                             Re: Ghosts of Onyx speculationStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/1/06 3:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Ghosts of Onyx speculationUrsusArctos 10/2/06 12:55 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.