/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Taking a deep breath :)
Posted By: Miguel ChavezDate: 12/4/01 9:17 p.m.

In Response To: Feats of Strength (Spoilers) (Alfred Mordeir)

: Ok Point taken. I admit, that all of what I wrote was after the initial shock
: of finishing the game.

Listen Tim, first off, I'm not 'quarreling' with you. :) You stated your opinion and I simply wrote that I think you were being too harsh and to maybe give it another chance.

I think Halo holds a very special place in Bungie history, on several levels. It's the first game they've made that had to appeal to a different type of player, and to a larger slice of such a player base. It's also the first game that they've ever done that was developmentally tied to an agenda (launch title for Xbox) other than their own. It's the first game that has made Bungie, dare I say it, famous. With all that, they still tried to inject the 'Bungie spirit' into the game and I think they've very much succeeded. All I can hope for now is that we'll get more of the same... richer, with more depth, and a full 'spreading of the wings' I have high hopes (which I hope I don't have to adjust :-) for Phoenix, in that it's the anti-Halo: No hype, no teases, just long long development. My wish is that they've used that time to good purpose and have something kick ass to show us at the coming E3. At my last visit to their offices, a few months ago, there was a definite seperation between the Halo group and the Phoenix group. It was a positive sign that even Halo's crunch schedule wasn't impacting Phoenix.

: Okay, the money wasn't really as important to me as it might have seamed,
: that's why I mentioned it last. It wasn't the money so much as the time
: spent. I was at MacWorld in NY when it was first anounced three years ago.
: The year after that when I was one day early for the Bungie fan fest I
: told you how excited I was about Halo. The year after that at Bungie
: munchies when I got to meet one of the guys who worked on Halo. Now it's
: been three years, I played the game, and now it's over. What's left? A few
: lines of dialogue to revisit, a possible sequal. I can't live like that.
: Don't worry, I'm not goining to blame Bungie for my crappy social life,
: even though they did put that down in their company agenda.

Heh! :) I really think Tim that if you keep playing it, it'll keep you happy a little while longer.

My personal reaction: When the Xbox arrived at my doorstep I didn't see it as "OK, you better impress me! I've been waiting years for you!" I was more "Well, my little DVD-ROM full of data, you've been a long time coming, let's see what the guys and gals over there have been able to accomplish after the roller coaster ride of the last few years."

: I am very familiar with level revisitations, and they do work in some
: instances to a degree. But when there are only ten levels to begin with, I
: think you'll agree that when 30% of the game is a revision it seems a
: little Cheap. Not to mention they were three in a row.

Yes, I fully admit that reused maps, even with certain significant changes, can feel like a cheap way to get more mileage out of them. The number of levels, I believe, are the only blatant 'proof' in my mind that Halo was under pressure to be done in time for a launch. Then again, let's also be frank about what consistutes a level in Halo... We're talking, on average, about 5 maps worth of Marathon or Myth as equivalent to ONE level in Halo. There's a significant amount of virtual real-estate being used in Halo. Does it make up for the reuse of data? Maybe not completely, but I still feel that the levels deserve more accolades than derision. That's just my opinion though, I'm not forcing it down anyone's throat.

If you peruse HBO's forum, you'll also find that alot of honesty from the folks at Bungie on what had to get taken out of the game, simply because there was no time to get all the technical details worked out. And so yes the story's richness suffered, which they readily admit. Yet in those same forums you'll find alot of discussion over what *has* been given to us story-wise.

: Finally I admit that Halo is still a beautifully done game, with a great
: engine and asuperb combat system. Although I don't take anything back
: (cept maybe the $500 bit) I hope you understand that I was just blowing
: off steam, and I intnd to go through the game again to try and pick up
: anything I might have missed. Yes I probably did get my hopes up. But all
: I really wanted was something a little more up to speed what Bungie prides
: its self on. I didn't have to be as deep or provocative as Marathon. I'm a
: story person, I think that my contribution to this forum and website
: proves that. Halo could have been built off the engine of
: "Gnop", and I would still have bought it if it's story was good.
: I'd like to thank you for your honesty, and I hope we can still be friends
: after this quarrel.

Hey, always friends here. Never a doubt :)

: I still hate Monitor,

343 Guilty Spark is the Jar Jar Binks of Bungie, though even Jar Jar was worse in my mind. At least you can understand GS. :)

: Alfred Mordeir (aka Tim Branin)

- Miguel

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Air of grievences (Spoilers)Alfred Mordeir 12/3/01 6:32 p.m.
     Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Miguel Chavez 12/4/01 3:37 a.m.
           Feats of Strength (Spoilers)Alfred Mordeir 12/4/01 7:32 a.m.
                 Re: Feats of Strength (Spoilers)Hamish Sinclair 12/4/01 7:58 a.m.
                       Re: Feats of Strength (Spoilers)Hippieman [B.Org] 12/4/01 8:23 a.m.
                       Revisting Levels...Pfhor 12/4/01 9:56 a.m.
                 Taking a deep breath :)Miguel Chavez 12/4/01 9:17 p.m.
           Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Hamish Sinclair 12/4/01 8:12 a.m.
                 Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Miguel Chavez 12/4/01 7:00 p.m.
                       Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Jason Yates 12/4/01 8:03 p.m.
                             Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Inverted Sock Puppet 12/4/01 8:15 p.m.
                                   Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Jason Yates 12/4/01 8:37 p.m.
                                         Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)amongmyselves 12/5/01 6:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Ahruman 12/5/01 1:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Alfred Mordeir 12/5/01 9:13 a.m.
           WARNING!!!!Mega Mega Spoiler*Alfred Mordeir 12/5/01 11:57 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.