/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Feats of Strength (Spoilers)
Posted By: Alfred MordeirDate: 12/4/01 7:32 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers) (Miguel Chavez)

Ok Point taken. I admit, that all of what I wrote was after the initial shock of finishing the game.

: You can bitch and moan all you want, but I never understand the 'I paid $$$$
: for this!" complaint. No one forced you to buy the Xbox, and there
: are certainly ways of playing the game without having to buy it. Many
: people played the game either via rental, thru a friends Xbox, or by
: hogging the demo unit at a local video game store. I think what I'm trying
: to say is blaming Bungie for poor spending of $500 or so is unfair.
Okay, the money wasn't really as important to me as it might have seamed, that's why I mentioned it last. It wasn't the money so much as the time spent. I was at MacWorld in NY when it was first anounced three years ago. The year after that when I was one day early for the Bungie fan fest I told you how excited I was about Halo. The year after that at Bungie munchies when I got to meet one of the guys who worked on Halo. Now it's been three years, I played the game, and now it's over. What's left? A few lines of dialogue to revisit, a possible sequal. I can't live like that. Don't worry, I'm not goining to blame Bungie for my crappy social life, even though they did put that down in their company agenda.
: What also puzzles me are complaints from Bungie fans of level repetition. I
: mean, it's not GREAT that the device is employed in the game, but are our
: memories so short that we don't remember previous Bungie games that did
: the same thing? PiD immediately comes to mind. Even Myth revisited certain
: levels.
I am very familiar with level revisitations, and they do work in some instances to a degree. But when there are only ten levels to begin with, I think you'll agree that when 30% of the game is a revision it seems a little Cheap. Not to mention they were three in a row.
: Frankly, I think you went in with your expectations raised way too high. Do
: me a favor and play the game in Heroic or Legendary and tell me your
: thoughts on that.
Finally I admit that Halo is still a beautifully done game, with a great engine and asuperb combat system. Although I don't take anything back (cept maybe the $500 bit) I hope you understand that I was just blowing off steam, and I intnd to go through the game again to try and pick up anything I might have missed. Yes I probably did get my hopes up. But all I really wanted was something a little more up to speed what Bungie prides its self on. I didn't have to be as deep or provocative as Marathon. I'm a story person, I think that my contribution to this forum and website proves that. Halo could have been built off the engine of "Gnop", and I would still have bought it if it's story was good.
I'd like to thank you for your honesty, and I hope we can still be friends after this quarrel.

I still hate Monitor,
Alfred Mordeir (aka Tim Branin)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Air of grievences (Spoilers)Alfred Mordeir 12/3/01 6:32 p.m.
     Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Miguel Chavez 12/4/01 3:37 a.m.
           Feats of Strength (Spoilers)Alfred Mordeir 12/4/01 7:32 a.m.
                 Re: Feats of Strength (Spoilers)Hamish Sinclair 12/4/01 7:58 a.m.
                       Re: Feats of Strength (Spoilers)Hippieman [B.Org] 12/4/01 8:23 a.m.
                       Revisting Levels...Pfhor 12/4/01 9:56 a.m.
                 Taking a deep breath :)Miguel Chavez 12/4/01 9:17 p.m.
           Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Hamish Sinclair 12/4/01 8:12 a.m.
                 Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Miguel Chavez 12/4/01 7:00 p.m.
                       Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Jason Yates 12/4/01 8:03 p.m.
                             Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Inverted Sock Puppet 12/4/01 8:15 p.m.
                                   Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Jason Yates 12/4/01 8:37 p.m.
                                         Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)amongmyselves 12/5/01 6:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Ahruman 12/5/01 1:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Air of grievences (Spoilers)Alfred Mordeir 12/5/01 9:13 a.m.
           WARNING!!!!Mega Mega Spoiler*Alfred Mordeir 12/5/01 11:57 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.