/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halo
Posted By: amongmyselvesDate: 11/29/01 9:28 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halo (Jacke)

: You have to remember that this is Microsoft, with a huge investment
: in the Xbox, and one of their most important launch titles. Is it not
: possible that they have 'convinced' reviewers to have a more positive
: look on Halo?

I don’t think that there is much convincing to be done because, as a console game, Halo is extraordinary. We have to remember that Halo has become synonymous with the xbox, and has sort of become Microsoft’s “flagship” game. Because of this, I am most convinced that Microsoft had much influence in Halo’s release. If Halo seems as though it was slightly rushed or seems “dumbed down” that might be because it very well may have been! We also have to remember most console games have to appeal to an audience with short attention spans and are predominantly impatient and very focused on the “wow” factor. Marathon never would have done as well had it been released as a console game! Few console players have the patience necessary to read all the terminals – “just get to the action!”

I for one am resting in the hope that Halo for Mac/PC will have all those things that were rushed out of Halo... that Halo for xbox will prove to be the simpler console version of Halo. If you read Matt Soell’s Halo updates at HBO (http://halo.bungie.org/haloupdates) you can see that a lot of ideas were simply left out! Hippieman made a comment earlier in this forum about how there were many “holographic computer terminals/switches that were never used... it's like the game was supposed to be more and got dumded down.”

And what about Bungie’s comments on the Mac/PC build of Halo? In May 2001, Alex Seropian suggested to MacGamer that the Mac/PC version would have "more missions and more online aspects." In a November 14th HomeLan interview Matt Soell said “We honestly haven't had the time to plan the Mac/PC versions yet. After the team finishes this last round of testing the Xbox version, they will take some much-needed time off and then regroup to figure out what comes next. We know they're going to happen, but exactly HOW has not been worked out yet.”

HOW? Given the xbox’s PC architecture I don’t think that it would be all that difficult to bring it to the Mac/PC, unless they intend to do something far more sinister...

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloamongmyselves 11/28/01 11:33 a.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloHamish Sinclair 11/28/01 12:05 p.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloarchon 11/28/01 2:53 p.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloRincewind MoG 11/28/01 5:00 p.m.
           Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloferrex 11/28/01 7:51 p.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloarchon 11/28/01 8:55 p.m.
                 *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sKanen Faud'r 11/29/01 12:00 a.m.
                       Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sferrex 11/29/01 9:53 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sRincewind MoG 11/29/01 10:11 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sKanen Faud'r 11/29/01 10:26 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sHamish Sinclair 11/29/01 10:50 a.m.
                                   Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sferrex 11/29/01 12:00 p.m.
                                         Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sHippieman [B.Org] 11/29/01 5:19 p.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloAlfred Mordeir 12/4/01 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloDjof 12/4/01 11:23 a.m.
                             I'll be in my late forties by then *NM*Alfred Mordeir 12/4/01 12:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I'll be in my late forties by thenDjof 12/4/01 5:59 p.m.
                                         Re: I'll be in my late forties by thenget azure 12/6/01 6:43 a.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halomartin antell 11/28/01 11:54 p.m.
           Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloJacke 11/29/01 2:43 a.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloamongmyselves 11/29/01 9:28 a.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloAndrew Nagy 11/29/01 3:04 p.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halomartin antell 11/29/01 11:39 p.m.
                             dumbing down tru the agesTru7h 12/2/01 3:51 a.m.
                                   Re: dumbing down tru the agesTru7h 12/2/01 11:18 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.