/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade's
Posted By: ferrexDate: 11/29/01 9:53 a.m.

In Response To: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade's (Kanen Faud'r)

: There are only 4 characters in the game - You, Cortana, Captain Keyes, and
: 343 Guilty Spark (the only one worth talking to). No named marines (except
: maybe the Foehammer pilot), no Covenant commanders, no other Spartans,
: nobody with whom there is any relationship or conflict.

And Johnson, the marine sergeant, but this is a very good point. But still, Marathon only had yourself, Durandal, Leela, and Tycho (that stand out in my mind, anyway).

And no relationship? No conflict? I absolutely must disagree with you there--there are very clearly relationships and conflicts between the Chief and 343GS, Cortana and 343GS, Cortana and Keyes, et cetera. This is what I'm talking about--people are deciding that Halo has a sub(Bungie)standard story before they've even explored things like 343's apparent familiarity with the Chief.

: The Flood stuff has logic holes you could drive a Scorpion through. Halo's
: containment protocols are ludicrous, it makes no sense for them to be
: there if the Forerunners are gone, they spread far too fast unless they've
: been released everywhere on Halo simultaneously, there are hundreds of
: them in the library where there's no door in, they don't leave in the
: space capable fighter you take.

While the end result is the same, gaps in what was told are different than logic holes. There is an unfortunately limited amount of information that can be conveyed when you have to do so via very labor intensive cinematics, and the unfortunate end result was that some parts were not fleshed out as completely as we would have liked.

: Cortana's plans seem pathetically unsubtle for an A.I., she has full access
: to the Covenant BattleNet, Halo's command circuits, and the remaining
: Human forces but can't come up with any better plans than having you smash
: some stuff and go rescue Keyes every couple of hours.

Yes, it would have been more appropriate if Cortana could tell every Covenant ship to "sleep" and watch them explode, but that wouldn't give you a lot to do. You have to balance story with player involvement.

Remember, most Marathon levels involved either fighting to a point, and smashing/reading/standing on something before the level ended. This isn't original sin.

: Bottom line - I'll be damned surprised to see Mark posting
: "Volunteers:The Silent Cartographer" in 7 years. That doesn't
: mean Halo isn't a great fps, it's just great in different ways than
: Marathon was/is great.

Marathon Infinity is a title set in a very mature story. By the same token, I don't see Mark posting a "Volunteers: Arrival" either. It also had arguably the least popular story because it was so inaccessible.

My point is this: deciding that Halo lacks the depth of it's Marathon predecessor is premature. Two weeks after Marathon, I could easily have compiled a similar list of holes and problems. Gradually, pieces fell into place. But it didn't happen overnight.

Halo has gigantic, unbelievably deep shoes to fill for those of us who thumb through Hamish's astonishing archive and wait for each new level of Mark's Volunteers series. And it will probably never fill them--first love is a tough thing to beat.

But keep something in mind when you look at what Halo is today. For many, many people, Halo will be their Marathon, their introduction into something deeper than what they're used to. When introducing someone to a subject, it helps not to drop a massive textbook on their heads. I'm not saying we didn't want to include more story, but I daresay a Marathon Infinity-esque story would not have gone over as well outside of the Marathon veteran audience.

So while I don't begrudge you your opinion, nor will I go out of my way to refute it, I encourage a bit of patience. Watch and see how some of the wrinkles unfold, and where things go from here.

Cheers,
rex

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloamongmyselves 11/28/01 11:33 a.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloHamish Sinclair 11/28/01 12:05 p.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloarchon 11/28/01 2:53 p.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloRincewind MoG 11/28/01 5:00 p.m.
           Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloferrex 11/28/01 7:51 p.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloarchon 11/28/01 8:55 p.m.
                 *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sKanen Faud'r 11/29/01 12:00 a.m.
                       Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sferrex 11/29/01 9:53 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sRincewind MoG 11/29/01 10:11 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sKanen Faud'r 11/29/01 10:26 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sHamish Sinclair 11/29/01 10:50 a.m.
                                   Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sferrex 11/29/01 12:00 p.m.
                                         Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sHippieman [B.Org] 11/29/01 5:19 p.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloAlfred Mordeir 12/4/01 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloDjof 12/4/01 11:23 a.m.
                             I'll be in my late forties by then *NM*Alfred Mordeir 12/4/01 12:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I'll be in my late forties by thenDjof 12/4/01 5:59 p.m.
                                         Re: I'll be in my late forties by thenget azure 12/6/01 6:43 a.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halomartin antell 11/28/01 11:54 p.m.
           Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloJacke 11/29/01 2:43 a.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloamongmyselves 11/29/01 9:28 a.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloAndrew Nagy 11/29/01 3:04 p.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halomartin antell 11/29/01 11:39 p.m.
                             dumbing down tru the agesTru7h 12/2/01 3:51 a.m.
                                   Re: dumbing down tru the agesTru7h 12/2/01 11:18 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.