/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

*spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade's
Posted By: Kanen Faud'rDate: 11/29/01 12:00 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halo (ferrex)

: Not to gripe or point fingers or anything, but I think people are giving up
: on Halo just a wee bit early. True, it doesn't have the volumes of
: material that could be found in Marathon's many terminals. But that does
: not instantly rule out depth.

Disclaimer - I'm voicing a few critcisms here, but I really enjoyed Halo, and I'm not sorry that I bought an XBox merely to play Halo and Munch. I think everybody there did a great job and deserves congratulations.

Now on to some complaints about the story...

** Crazy spoilers don't read unless you're done with Halo, I warned you **

There are only 4 characters in the game - You, Cortana, Captain Keyes, and 343 Guilty Spark (the only one worth talking to). No named marines (except maybe the Foehammer pilot), no Covenant commanders, no other Spartans, nobody with whom there is any relationship or conflict.

The Flood stuff has logic holes you could drive a Scorpion through. Halo's containment protocols are ludicrous, it makes no sense for them to be there if the Forerunners are gone, they spread far too fast unless they've been released everywhere on Halo simultaneously, there are hundreds of them in the library where there's no door in, they don't leave in the space capable fighter you take.

There are a half dozen or so Covenant cruisers that magically disappeared after the first chapter.

Neither the Covenant forces nor the Humans seem to actually be doing anything once they land on Halo. It's painfully clear that you're the only game in town action-wise.

The most intriguing bits of the story are too reminiscent of MI. You were here before on this mysterious installation in the distant past when the first Flood outbreak occured. And ALL of this background occurs in approximately 10 paragraphs of exposition over 1 level and 1 cutscene.

The limited chances to add narrative aren't taken - Cortana could talk to you a lot more, as could 343 Guilty Spark. Maybe it would drive you nuts, but it could be there and let the player turn it off if they didn't care.

Fusion reactors don't blow up when they lose containment - that's one of the reason they're so nice (ok, that one's a personal peeve with plenty of sci-fi.) For that matter a ring wouldn't fly to pieces when you blew a hole in it.

Cortana's plans seem pathetically unsubtle for an A.I., she has full access to the Covenant BattleNet, Halo's command circuits, and the remaining Human forces but can't come up with any better plans than having you smash some stuff and go rescue Keyes every couple of hours.

They can't build a $%&%$^&% flashlight (ok, so that isn't even slightly story related, put it still irks me.)

Anyway, I'm sure there some more if I thought about it. But on the other hand, none of that is going to keep me from going back and playing it on Legendary.

Bottom line - I'll be damned surprised to see Mark posting "Volunteers:The Silent Cartographer" in 7 years. That doesn't mean Halo isn't a great fps, it's just great in different ways than Marathon was/is great.

- eli

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloamongmyselves 11/28/01 11:33 a.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloHamish Sinclair 11/28/01 12:05 p.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloarchon 11/28/01 2:53 p.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloRincewind MoG 11/28/01 5:00 p.m.
           Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloferrex 11/28/01 7:51 p.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloarchon 11/28/01 8:55 p.m.
                 *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sKanen Faud'r 11/29/01 12:00 a.m.
                       Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sferrex 11/29/01 9:53 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sRincewind MoG 11/29/01 10:11 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sKanen Faud'r 11/29/01 10:26 a.m.
                             Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sHamish Sinclair 11/29/01 10:50 a.m.
                                   Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sferrex 11/29/01 12:00 p.m.
                                         Re: *spoilers* *long* Re: Penny Arcade'sHippieman [B.Org] 11/29/01 5:19 p.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloAlfred Mordeir 12/4/01 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloDjof 12/4/01 11:23 a.m.
                             I'll be in my late forties by then *NM*Alfred Mordeir 12/4/01 12:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I'll be in my late forties by thenDjof 12/4/01 5:59 p.m.
                                         Re: I'll be in my late forties by thenget azure 12/6/01 6:43 a.m.
     Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halomartin antell 11/28/01 11:54 p.m.
           Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloJacke 11/29/01 2:43 a.m.
                 Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Haloamongmyselves 11/29/01 9:28 a.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on HaloAndrew Nagy 11/29/01 3:04 p.m.
                       Re: Penny Arcade's thoughts on Halomartin antell 11/29/01 11:39 p.m.
                             dumbing down tru the agesTru7h 12/2/01 3:51 a.m.
                                   Re: dumbing down tru the agesTru7h 12/2/01 11:18 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.