/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers - Napalm/Chicken
Posted By: Mark LevinDate: 8/1/01 6:08 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteers - Napalm/Chicken (William Spencer)

: This level is yet another entry in the What Idiot Designed This Spaceship?
: contest.

I completely disagree... This level feels real to me. It's somewhere behind an "Authorized Personnel Only" door on the Marathon, an important part of the air distribution system.

This is another very creepy level, the most since Bigger Guns Nearby. It's dark, it's cramped, it's full of wasps that like to squeal and jump out at you. Even better, it has random wasps. You hide in a corner and stand motionless as a wasp flits past, hoping it won't see you... The tunnels are dark and confusing, adding to the feeling of despair Marathon seems to be feeling right now. The aliens are winning, and Leela is being forced to take more and more drastic measures to save what she can. More than once I shouted out loud as a monster popped up when I least expected it.

Starting with the west tunnels is a good idea, that side has the health charger, and it's easier to reach the door on that side. The steps in the floor make combat difficult, as you bounce down or up when you least expect it, making the wasps hard to hit.

The other side houses the famous Chicken Term, and the equally famous flamethrower secret. I was able to grab the flamethrower without getting stuck on the first try during this run, but I wasn't able to read the terminal. How droll.

There's a small bug near the end of this level: Apparently Bungie hadn't discovered diagonal running when they designed the final platform puzzle: It's possible, if you're good enough, to run back and forth and hit the switches too fast, so that the second platform starts to rise before the first is high enough for you to step on it.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers - Napalm/ChickenWilliam Spencer 8/1/01 11:37 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers - Napalm/ChickenHamish Sinclair 8/1/01 12:46 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers - Napalm/Chicken7revor Smith 8/1/01 1:50 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers - Napalm/ChickenMark Levin 8/1/01 6:08 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers - Napalm/ChickenSidoh 8/2/01 10:57 a.m.
           Re: Volunteers - Napalm/ChickenGraham Cull 12/13/01 9:42 a.m.
                 Re: Volunteers - Napalm/ChickenMark Levin 12/13/01 10:07 a.m.
                       Re: Volunteers - Napalm/ChickenSteve Levinson 12/13/01 10:20 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.