/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?
Posted By: Kanen Faud'rDate: 5/16/02 3:50 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th? (Steve Levinson)

: While this sounds like a great idea, there are just too many differences
: among fps engines to make this feasible. From what I understand, each and
: every map requires a lot of tweaking and reworking to make it compatible
: with a different fps engine. I like the idea, but it's not practical.

In my (somewhat informed) opinion it would be simpler to make a modern fps engine load maps and play a game "close enough" to Marathon than it would be to finish the transition of the existing engine into a completely 3D engine. However that isn't considering the work already done on Aleph One, which is substantial, only starting from scratch. Since I'm not volunteering to do this the point is rather moot, but anybody with a LOT of freetime could start by looking at Torque (http://www.garagegames.com)

As for Mac/PC Halo supporting Marathon maps - that would involve all the work of converting it to any other engine. And I strongly doubt that Bungie will be doing it. Add to that the fact that the source will not be available to 35d parties and you get "ain't gonna happen..."

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Steve Levinson 5/13/02 10:04 p.m.
     Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Mark Levin 5/14/02 12:06 a.m.
           Completely AgreeKhral 5/14/02 8:55 a.m.
                 Re: Completely AgreeSteve Levinson 5/14/02 10:18 a.m.
                       Re: Completely AgreeMark Levin 5/14/02 11:15 a.m.
           Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Kanen Faud'r 5/14/02 12:31 p.m.
                 Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Steve Levinson 5/15/02 11:30 a.m.
                       Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Kanen Faud'r 5/16/02 3:50 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.