/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?
Posted By: Mark LevinDate: 5/14/02 12:06 a.m.

In Response To: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th? (Steve Levinson)

: I would like to think that I will be able to
: play them forever, but that won't happen if they are allowed to die along
: with OS 9.

The problem, as I see it, is that the great experiment has failed. Aleph One has become a mishmash of random features and half-hearted attempts to fix the engine's various bugs without any thought to consistency or overall stability. The reason no one uses A1 for scenarios is simply that it is still not as good as Infinity is already, and most of that is due to its lack of stability. Compounding the problem is the fact that the community consists of basically 1 lead developer (Loren), a few platform maintainers who keep A1 running on Windows/SDL/etc, and not much else.

The solution? Fork Aleph One (for the non-programmers, split the project into 2 separate programs with different goals), into a "stable" branch focusing on stability and compatibility and a "development" branch focusing on new features. However, that's going to be hard without more than 1 programmer willing to spend time on it.

: Sadly, one of the best scenarios of all time, Trojan, will never be ported to
: A1. What a shame - and how short-sighted.

Semi-contradicting what I said above, but I believe that A1 will (eventually|slowly|maybe) gain the ability to use Marathon 1 content, in which case Trojan will be runnable.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Steve Levinson 5/13/02 10:04 p.m.
     Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Mark Levin 5/14/02 12:06 a.m.
           Completely AgreeKhral 5/14/02 8:55 a.m.
                 Re: Completely AgreeSteve Levinson 5/14/02 10:18 a.m.
                       Re: Completely AgreeMark Levin 5/14/02 11:15 a.m.
           Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Kanen Faud'r 5/14/02 12:31 p.m.
                 Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Steve Levinson 5/15/02 11:30 a.m.
                       Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Kanen Faud'r 5/16/02 3:50 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.