/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Completely Agree
Posted By: KhralDate: 5/14/02 8:55 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th? (Mark Levin)

::begin rant::

I gotta agree with Mark Levin. When I first saw how Aleph One support OpenGL, I was completely awestricken. But now it seems like Aleph One has turned more into bloatware than anything else. I don't mean to disrespect its developers or anything, but it looks more like a "look what I can do!!!" contest rather than something that only focuses on making the original Marathon series better. It shouldn't be changed to the point where Marathon is completely unrecognizable or completely different, because then it wouldn't be Marathon anymore. Why not just stick with OpenGL support, making it more stable, and rework the netcode so it works over the internet? Consistency is the key here. To make it as close to the original as possible, but not to change it so it's something completely different. That's the impression I got when I first heard about Aleph One.

Not as easy as it sounds, I understand. Nobody ever said it was. It still feels like there's a lot of time being wasted on adding details like 3D models and scripting languages (how many mapmakers even know or care to learn how to do this? wasn't the purpose of Forge to be something simple for everyone?) and whatnot, it really makes you wonder whether it'll ever have internet gameplay (TCP/IP) support. Because Marathon is not only known for its wonderful story, but also for its fun netgames. I and many other Marathon fans have yet to experience this, because some of us haven't had the luxury of LAN parties. So I've pretty much given up on checking back constantly and waiting.

I realize its developers are in no way obligated to provide me or anyone else with that kind of experience. That's completely up to them. But if that was their original goal, it now seems like they've gone completely off tangent where their goals keep changing into adding more and more tiny details... rather than focusing on the more important (non-eyecandy) things that made Marathon great in the first place. It is now more of a play toy for coders rather than something that enhances the Marathon experience. Bah!!

Just my two cents. Flame on.

::end rant::

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Steve Levinson 5/13/02 10:04 p.m.
     Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Mark Levin 5/14/02 12:06 a.m.
           Completely AgreeKhral 5/14/02 8:55 a.m.
                 Re: Completely AgreeSteve Levinson 5/14/02 10:18 a.m.
                       Re: Completely AgreeMark Levin 5/14/02 11:15 a.m.
           Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Kanen Faud'r 5/14/02 12:31 p.m.
                 Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Steve Levinson 5/15/02 11:30 a.m.
                       Re: Will Marathon see its 10th birthday? Its 20th?Kanen Faud'r 5/16/02 3:50 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.