/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: 5D space origins
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 7/24/23 4:57 a.m.

In Response To: Re: 5D space origins (Godot)

: Check out the Forge section in the Marathon Trilogy manual.

: https://marathon.bungie.org/story/_files/Marathon_Trilogy_Manual.pdf

: page 50 gives you how these impossible spaces are created.

: Bungie invented them.
: They only work in the real world if you have a Jjaro implant.

: Cheers
: Hamish

Most DOS/Windows players before discovering Marathon would have found out from other games as later developers copied Bungie's idea but implemented it differently. Duke Nukem 3D for example doesn't seem to use Bungie's overlapping sector method but it has 5D space in the form of Unreal 1, Prey or Narbacular Drop style portals.

Typically they hide portals in elevator shafts that connect to an identical lift in another part of the map. Swimmable liquids seem to work that way too, again unlike Marathon 2, which makes me wonder how much of a nightmare it is/was to make changeable water levels in Build. The most famous example of this is Lunatic Fringe in episode 2: a circular map that requires you to run 720 degrees around to get back to the start. I'd have loved to have seen something similar in Marathon 1. The 5D Maze in Ingue Ferroque is pretty tame by comparison.

Another good example is a swimming pool in the episode 3 map Hotel Hell on the top floor of the building connects to a broken toilet on the ground floor via a breakable wall with no height difference.

I don't know if Build and most 3D engines like Unreal, Source support true overlapping sectors/brushes but I know for a fact some 3D engines support them because Tomb Raider certainly does: the Black Arms UFO in Tomb Raider 3 is a good example, to the point Lara can still get hit by laser traps in one of the rooms the ship's space intrudes on.

Adding on to this, playing the PS1 version of TR5 on PSP made me discover 5D space in The 13th Floor level by way of explosion effects in one overlapping room never stopping due to a glitch. This was a problem as one of those overlapping rooms was the corner of the final room so you could get killed just by running to the level exit.

Portal 2 & The Stanley Parable remake (not Ultra Deluxe but it does count too) use the portal method, the former's specifically being invisible ones used in certain vistas toward the end of the game.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

5D space originsehyto 7/18/23 5:10 a.m.
     Re: 5D space originsGodot 7/18/23 6:00 a.m.
           Re: 5D space originsLion O Cyborg 7/24/23 4:57 a.m.
                 Re: 5D space originsBo Lindbergh 7/24/23 7:14 a.m.
                       Re: 5D space originsLion O Cyborg 8/3/23 7:43 a.m.
                 Copied?Document 7/25/23 5:51 a.m.
                       Re: Copied?Lion O Cyborg 8/3/23 7:45 a.m.
                             Re: Copied?VikingBoyBilly 8/3/23 3:53 p.m.
                 Re: 5D space originsVikingBoyBilly 7/26/23 1:33 a.m.
                       Re: warped spaceDocument 7/26/23 9:12 a.m.
                       Re: 5D space originsLion O Cyborg 8/3/23 7:40 a.m.
                 Re: 5D space originsVikingBoyBilly 8/5/23 5:10 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.