/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Ideal Marathon Reboot
Posted By: Tim "Mordeir" BraninDate: 11/4/22 9:06 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Ideal Marathon Reboot (ukimalefu)

: IT MUST BE AVAILABLE ON THE MAC, FULLY FEATURED, FROM DAY 1

: Sure, multiplatform too, PCs and consoles.

: Voice acting and cinematic video are cool, but TERMINALS MUST BE an important
: part of how the story is delivered. To keep up with modern times, the
: player character could carry a handheld device, or have text appear on the
: HUD.

: I agree about the horror/atmospheric setting, maybe survival too, similar in
: a way to Resident Evil or Silent Hill, but in space.

: And it should be an entirely new game, not a remake. The same original
: Marathon game with a new engine should be a free game.

: But I'd probably never play any new Marathon, my Mac is too old, and I can't
: get any new device any time soon.

: I should finish Apotheosis. It's great.

Hmm yeah, I'm thinking terminals stay, but perhaps they're more of an interactive multimedia experience beyond just text and still images. This is another example of where there's a temptation to follow the Bioshock trend of of just having tape recorders lying everywhere, but I think we need to hang onto those as being iconic to the core of the series. But Im thinking maybe there's a limited search engine and there might be audio and video files as well, allowing you to go as deep into the rabbithole as you like.

I'm still imagining this as a mass market game meant for an audience that for the most part has never played Marathon. So I feel we might as well have it take place on the Marathon, and if we don't do a complete retelling of the original story, at least include some of the basic elements and characters. I'd also like to really explore the idea that this colony ship was hurdling through space for 300 years with people being born, living and dying of old age on the Marathon without ever setting foot outside or seeing a sunrise. That's what a BOB is after all, "Born on Board". Perhaps there's a whole history of life on Marathon before reaching Tau Ceti worth exploring. I mean one of the core bedrock themes of the Marathon series is slavery: the Pfhor are slavers, We are slave to Durandal, Durandal was slave to Strauss, and in a sense the Marathon is a slave ship because it's populated mostly by an underclass of people who never had a say in whether or not they wanted to be colonists, because everyone who boarded the ship willingly either died 200 years ago, or is asleep in stasis.

Maybe that's another element to the Security officer's character. He's a cop, so probably his job when there isn't an alien invasion is keeping order in the ship and on the colony, which probably means keeping BOB in line, so maybe there's some baked in distrust even when he is saving the ship from aliens.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Ideal Marathon RebootTim "Mordeir" Branin 11/3/22 3:44 p.m.
     Re: Ideal Marathon Rebootukimalefu 11/4/22 12:45 a.m.
           Re: Ideal Marathon RebootTim "Mordeir" Branin 11/4/22 9:06 a.m.
                 Re: Ideal Marathon RebootLion O Cyborg 11/4/22 9:13 a.m.
                       Re: Ideal Marathon RebootTim "Mordeir" Branin 11/4/22 10:27 a.m.
                             Re: Ideal Marathon RebootLion O Cyborg 11/4/22 1:43 p.m.
                       Re: Ideal Marathon RebootTim "Mordeir" Branin 11/4/22 10:51 a.m.
                             Re: Ideal Marathon RebootLion O Cyborg 11/4/22 2:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Ideal Marathon RebootTim "Mordeir" Branin 11/4/22 6:03 p.m.
                                         Re: Ideal Marathon RebootLion O Cyborg 11/5/22 9:23 a.m.
                                               Re: Ideal Marathon RebootTim "Mordeir" Branin 11/5/22 12:32 p.m.
                                                     Re: Ideal Marathon RebootLion O Cyborg 11/5/22 4:24 p.m.
     Re: Ideal Marathon RebootLion O Cyborg 11/4/22 9:07 a.m.
     Re: Ideal Marathon RebootBob-B-Q 11/4/22 9:21 a.m.
     Re: Ideal Marathon RebootVikingBoyBilly 11/4/22 4:44 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.