/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)
Posted By: AntarcticoDate: 7/31/13 11:27 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Try Again -- The Movie (Godot)

: Can you fire it up a third time and test something for me? I can't access
: mine at the moment.

Lucky for you I'm not working today. ;p

: In the original game, on Try again, does the Jug in the large room with the
: 'bridge ' follow you to the other side of the walkway (i.e. it flies over
: the walkway). I'm sure it can do this.

: In the current beta, it appears less mobile and is restricted to flying up
: and down a short distance on one side only.

As many times as I tried, I could not get the Jug to cross over to the other side of the bridge, and I never remember seeing this in any of my games BITD.

: If memory also serves, in the original game you can entice the Jug into the
: area where the teleporter is located. I think you know where this is
: going. ;)

I suspect this was a very rare behavior and not intended by the level designer, but I do remember seeing this once, and only once, in one of my games way BITD, but I don't remember what difficulty it was at and what I was pounding it with, rockets probably. If you can suggest how I can entice our reluctant puppy through those doors, I will have another whack at it. :)

: Anyways can you test to see if there is an issue with Jug movement in the
: beta.

I will say, movement-wise, going back and forth between the beta and Marathon 1.2 on my Mac, the Jug moved and behaved identically. Basically, it was sort of sleepy, it liked to sink down to its corner and look out the opening to the lava, and when I backed off to the other side of the radiation doors, and it could not get a clear shot, back toward its cozy corner it would head.

However, there is a problem with the Jug, and a sort of significant one at that -- it's with the Jug's Warp-pedos.

In the current beta, the Warp-pedos fly just like they do in M2/MI, and this is very different to how they behave in Marathon. I noticed while going back and forth that in Marathon on my Mac, there was a much larger random angle to the initial launch of the Jugs Warp-pedos. There was so much potential random angle that sometimes they would cross in an "X" over the head of the Jug, or if the Jug was near the top of the room, one or both Warp-pedos would fly right into the ceiling. This does not happen in the beta. Also, the homing is very noticeably weaker in the original Marathon vs. the beta. In the beta, I would sometimes have Warp-pedos following me around shallow corners, and they would always cluster into a tight pair if they had sufficient flight time. Neither of these things happen in the original Marathon.

Additonally, in original Marathon, the Warp-pedos seem heavier. For example, if I backed off far enough from a Jug's Warp-pedos in an area where the jug had to fly lower than in the radiation door area, like in the lava area near the first terminal, the Warp-pedos here would often drop until they impacted on the floor, while in the beta, Warp-pedos fired in this same area had a great deal more loft, and rather than grounding out, they would stay airborne and follow me until I turned a corner too sharp for them to navigate. The grounding out behavior in Marathon might also be related to the greater random angle of launch, as if a Warp-pedos is randomly angled sharply down, this is going to make it much more likely to ground out.

And finally, as an odd aesthetic note, there is a perceptible random M2/MI style "wiggle" to the Warp-pedos in the beta (hell,I can almost remember the setting in Forge for this), but in original Marathon, this little wiggle is not present, or it is set so low that I could not clearly see it in the original's software rendering.

To sum it up, currently in the beta the Jug's Warp-pedos just play plain wrong for Marathon. :(

Regards -- Antarctico

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/30/13 6:29 p.m.
     Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 12:30 a.m.
           Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 7:31 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 7:56 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:06 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:24 a.m.
                                   Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:32 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The Movietreellama 7/31/13 8:03 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:13 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:15 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieDocument 8/1/13 5:27 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The Movietreellama 8/1/13 6:40 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The Movietreellama 7/31/13 8:04 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:33 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:13 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:24 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:34 a.m.
                                   By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 11:27 a.m.
                                         Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)treellama 7/31/13 11:38 a.m.
                                               Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)treellama 7/31/13 11:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 1:50 p.m.
                                                           Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)treellama 7/31/13 3:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 3:37 p.m.
                                                                       Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)jonny 7/31/13 5:37 p.m.
                                                                             Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 7:16 p.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)PerseusSpartacus 7/31/13 4:39 p.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 7/31/13 10:53 p.m.
                                         Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 7/31/13 12:19 p.m.
                                               Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 1:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 8/1/13 2:33 a.m.
                                                           Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 2:40 a.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 8/1/13 3:12 a.m.
                                                                       Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 3:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Dr. John Sumner 8/1/13 4:58 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 5:14 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 8/1/13 8:46 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.