/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Try Again -- The Movie
Posted By: AntarcticoDate: 7/31/13 7:31 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Try Again -- The Movie (Godot)

: Nice VId...

Thanks!!! :)

: ...Good to see you took out the Jugs even though you didn't have to.
: But stand punching a Jug is one of the biggest downsides to watching
: a Vid film (IMHO)
:
: Thank God for the bracket key!!! ;)

No disagreement here, it is also pure tedium to be doing the punching, but it is kind of the old school thing to do, plus I had not punched out this particular Jug for possibly close to a decade, so I wanted to give him a good whacking for old times sake. If I'm just playing for myself, I light him up a plasma pistol and be done with it. :)

: One interesting thing I noticed that is different from the original Vid films
: of this level is the logistical handling of the Alien Weapon (or lack
: thereof). In the original game, on Total Carnage, you could pick up
: multiple Alien Weapons yet only ever have one to use. This meant you had
: to ensure that you didn't kill Enforcers in corridors you had to
: frequently access (thus picking up their weapons unnecessarily) or indeed
: kill two Enforcers in close proximity and accidental pick up both weapons.
: Made for logistically challenging level play. It helps that this level
: allows you to access areas from multiple directions. :)

Wow, you are absolutely right! You know, something has seemed off about the weapons pick up going back to M1A1, and this is it. I am sure you have noticed this also, in the original game if you ran over, let's say here, a fresh AR in a level it would replace the AR in your hands, every single time, whether you needed it or not. This meant, to maximize your ammo pick ups, a hoarding type of player would wait until his AR was almost completely empty of ammo, and then go pick up that new, fully loaded AR. In the current beta, none of this happens, if you have a weapon already in your inventory, you cannot pick up a new weapon, you run over it and it stays on the floor. This is the cause of the Alien Weapon behavior you mentioned. In the current beta, until the Alien Weapon in hand is exhausted and disappears from your inventory you cannot pick up a new one. In the original game, you gobble up a weapon whenever you run over it, and the game would swap out the weapon in your inventory in favor of the new one, and then the old swapped out weapon would magically disappear from the world.

I think this needs to be changed in the next beta and returned to a correct Marathon behavior, as it really effects a fairly significant aspect of inventory management strategy. Alternately, for those who prefer the M2/MI behavior, you could make the (currently broken) correct Marathon behavior as default and then have a check box in the game preferences to select the M2/MI behavior, however checking this would break film and online compatibility.

: If memory serves I believe there is just enough weapons and ammo on this
: level to kill all four Jugs without resorting to fists (starting the level
: from scratch obviously). Maybe someone can confirm?

If I had not blown off an alien weapon clearing out those two Hunter stragglers and the one up on the secret terminal ledge near the end, and if I had gotten lucky and not had one of the Enforcers get fragged by a pissed-off Jug, and if I had punched out more than just the first Enforcer, then yea, there would have been enough Alien Weapons. It only takes somewhat less than three to kill a Jug on Total Carnage.

Oh, and again as the description of my video points out, we really need to get the flamethrower/alien weapon "flying" behavior fully working. Hell, "flying" like this is even mentioned in the secret Bungie vid-tips terminal. :(

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/30/13 6:29 p.m.
     Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 12:30 a.m.
           Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 7:31 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 7:56 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:06 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:24 a.m.
                                   Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:32 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The Movietreellama 7/31/13 8:03 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:13 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:15 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieDocument 8/1/13 5:27 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The Movietreellama 8/1/13 6:40 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The Movietreellama 7/31/13 8:04 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:33 a.m.
                 Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:13 a.m.
                       Re: Try Again -- The MovieAntarctico 7/31/13 8:24 a.m.
                             Re: Try Again -- The MovieGodot 7/31/13 8:34 a.m.
                                   By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 11:27 a.m.
                                         Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)treellama 7/31/13 11:38 a.m.
                                               Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)treellama 7/31/13 11:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 1:50 p.m.
                                                           Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)treellama 7/31/13 3:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 3:37 p.m.
                                                                       Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)jonny 7/31/13 5:37 p.m.
                                                                             Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 7/31/13 7:16 p.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)PerseusSpartacus 7/31/13 4:39 p.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 7/31/13 10:53 p.m.
                                         Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 7/31/13 12:19 p.m.
                                               Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 1:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 8/1/13 2:33 a.m.
                                                           Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 2:40 a.m.
                                                                 Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 8/1/13 3:12 a.m.
                                                                       Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 3:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Dr. John Sumner 8/1/13 4:58 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Godot 8/1/13 5:14 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: By Your Command (was: Try Again -- The Movie)Antarctico 8/1/13 8:46 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.