/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Hindmost Creche Speculation
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/18/12 12:04 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Hindmost Creche Speculation (PerseusSpartacus)

: I would like to add something, though. If the Great Mother is at the top of
: the Hindmost Creche, her offspring would be the sort of 'aristocracy' of
: the Pfhor, perhaps even the Imperial or Command rank in the Pfhor
: hierarchy (see ' The Pfhor ' on the Marathon Story Page).

: There would probably be other 'Mothers' in the Hindmost Creche, giving birth
: to lesser-ranking offspring. Why are Fighters and Troopers (who appear to
: be of a different species than the Enforcers) so numerous? Because there
: are more 'Mothers' giving birth to the Fighter/Trooper race than there are
: 'Mothers' giving birth to Enforcers.

I don't know that there would be other mothers in the Hindmost Creche. I had figured that there was one mother per creche; a creche is a nest, where a mother lays eggs which hatch into the Pfhor who she commands. There is then a hierarchy of mothers, with the Great Mother at the top, and her creche is the Hindmost Creche. (And I figured the different 'species' would be different castes just like you have with terrestrial insects, morphologically different organisms spawned from the same parent and working together in one superorganism).

Basically, imagine a colony of ants or other eusocial insects. You have a single queen, and then a number of biologically different castes (worker, soldier, drone, etc) all descended from her, in different proportions, most of them sterile. Occasionally she births new queens, and these go on to form new colonies; likewise some of the castes (e.g. drones) regularly wander between colonies.

Now imagine that these ants are humanoid and sapient, and a queen demands the continued subservience of the colonies of the queens she has spawned. They in turn demand the subservience of the colonies of queens they spawn, and so on, a hierarchy growing and branching as a great empire of subservient colonies grows and spreads, all ultimately answering to the first queen, the ancestor of them all. (There is a question here of how to handle inheritance of power, if queens eventually die).

That is how I imagine Pfhor society.

Of course being a slave empire, genuinely other species are also in their society, and would naturally be shoehorned into their caste system. So Enforcers may be some other species which is especially good at keeping order, just as Drinniol are especially good at manual labor and S'pht are especially good with cybernetics. I would be curious how they would keep the Enforcers in line though, if the Enforcers job is keeping others in line; the Drinniol are timid and apparently need constant feeding or they die, the S'pht are cybernetically bound to some central "royalty" which a suitably modified Pfhor can stand in the place of... maybe Enforcers are just anal about keeping an orderly society and so they really like what the Pfhor want them to do?

(It occurs to me now that there would be something very poetic about the Enforcers being the Nahk, since the three great slave revolts of the Pfhor we're aware of are the S'pht, the Nahk, and the Drinniol. Unfortunately "There is not a single Nakh alive today", so that's not an option).

(Also makes me wonder what use the Pfhor would have found for humans. Maybe put us to work building better AI for them? Then again the S'pht could have done that by now. Maybe the Pfhor don't trust AI and intentionally keep theirs dumb, though that puts their use for Tycho in doubt. They did rather quickly deem us unsuitable for enslavement I guess, and set about eradicating us instead, so maybe we are of no use to them).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Hindmost Creche SpeculationPhiltron 10/12/12 5:22 p.m.
     Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationEarthtopus 10/12/12 8:32 p.m.
           Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationJabberwok 10/14/12 3:05 p.m.
     Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationForrest of B.org 10/12/12 10:55 p.m.
           Re: Hindmost Creche Speculationchiasaur11 10/13/12 8:30 p.m.
           Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationPerseusSpartacus 10/17/12 4:07 p.m.
                 Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationForrest of B.org 10/18/12 12:04 a.m.
                       Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationPhiltron 10/18/12 5:58 a.m.
     Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationGodot 10/14/12 5:40 a.m.
     Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationJabberwok 10/14/12 3:03 p.m.
     Re: Hindmost Creche SpeculationYossarian 10/18/12 12:10 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.