/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone
Posted By: AlricDate: 2/11/12 5:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone (Bob-B-Q)

: In fact, nearly all of them are wrong. That the P4 and MP41 didn't exist in
: 1938 is obvious enough, plus the M1911A1 and M79 were obsolete by 1993.
: The number of M16s with bent muzzles is also odd given that the
: then-standard model, the M16A2, had a reinforced forward barrel.

: Given that the Cubans entered the pyramid circa 1978, their rifles should be
: AKMs, not AK-47s, but nobody in the entire entertainment industry seems to
: know the difference anyway.
Most games of this era had worse research in weapons than modern ones, likely due to the lack of easily accessible reference material. Damage Incorporated (made using the M2 engine in 1997) had hilariously inaccurate (and inconsistent!) portrayals of weaponry, for example.

The MP-41 in PiD is most definitely not an MP-41...the MP-41 was a rare variant of the MP-40 that had a fire selector as well as a fixed wooden stock instead of the pistol grip and underfolding stock that the MP-38 and MP-40 had. I think Bungie meant that it was an MP-38 but goofed somewhere.

The M1911A1 (or handguns directly based on its design) is still commonly used by special units in the US military even today, particularly Delta Force and the USMC's Force Recon. I'll say it's very likely that the squad in PiD could have chosen it over the M9 due to the M1911A1's greater stopping power. You can see the Delta Force soldiers in the movie Black Hawk Down equipped with these in contrast to the M9 sidearms carried by the US Army Rangers.

The M79 is a bit harder to explain. I'll just chalk it up to Bungie not including secondary weapons in PiD but wanting to have a grenade launcher. However...the M79 apparently did have some very minor advantages over the M203. Its break-open design allowed it to use longer 40mm grenade cartridges that the M203 couldn't load (perhaps some of the special grenades in PiD were of these type). It was also supposedly slightly more accurate than the M203. Also...I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but in an early demo of PiD there was reference to a M72 LAW rocket launcher in the data strings. Talk about overpowered...but against the purple barnies, maybe not.

The M16s barrels being bent is a bit strange, but from appearances they seem to be M16A2s, especially judging from the game's box art. For what its worth, the M16A2 and later variants of the M16 had, among other improvements, heavier barrels that were more durable than the thinner, lighter barrels found on the M16 and M16A1. I will say that the full-length M16A2 is an odd choice for close quarters combat as seen in PiD. US Special Forces at the time often used the XM177 Colt Commando (the predecessor to the modern day M4 Carbine), a shortened version of the M16A1 with a 11.5 inch long barrel and collapsing stock designed for vehicle crews needing a portable weapon, and also for soldiers who needed a more maneuverable weapon than the full length M16. This weapon was also used by the Delta Force soldiers in the movie Black Hawk Down in contrast to the US Army Rangers' M16A2s. And yes...a sidequest where you had to assemble working parts to get a working M16 would have been epic. I always was disappointed that you never got to use an M16 or an M1911 to blast your way through the pyramid in PiD.

The "AK-47" could have been an AKM, the graphics aren't detailed enough to tell the difference if memory serves me. I believe that in real life the improved, cheaper to manufacture AKM and the Chinese made AK copy, the Type 56, were both more common than the original milled receiver AK-47. Whatever the case, it's not impossible that the weapons used by the Cubans could have been original AK-47s.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Earthtopus 2/8/12 8:43 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/8/12 11:48 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zonepoena.dare 2/9/12 2:01 a.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 6:31 a.m.
                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 1:56 p.m.
                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 2:10 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 9:51 a.m.
           some say the world will end in fire.Earthtopus 2/9/12 10:17 a.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Godot 2/9/12 10:37 a.m.
                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 12:32 p.m.
                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneMrM12LRV 2/9/12 1:11 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 2:07 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 3:02 p.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 11:41 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneMrM12LRV 2/9/12 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 4:00 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 4:05 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 11:43 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/10/12 9:23 a.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/10/12 1:53 p.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/11/12 2:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/11/12 9:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/11/12 9:48 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/11/12 6:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/11/12 8:43 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/12/12 7:12 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/12/12 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/12/12 1:29 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/12/12 4:40 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/12/12 5:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Bob-B-Q 2/12/12 8:16 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/12/12 9:30 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/13/12 9:30 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/13/12 9:45 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/13/12 9:48 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/13/12 6:48 p.m.
                                                                                                           Conspiracy!Earthtopus 2/13/12 11:16 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/11/12 5:53 p.m.
                 Re: Snowdenpoena.dare 2/9/12 6:40 p.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneJabberwok 2/11/12 12:16 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.