/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone
Posted By: AlricDate: 2/11/12 6:13 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone (Godot)

: It would be great to have references for these sort of statements: "That
: the P4 and MP41 didn't exist in 1938 is obvious enough, plus the M1911A1
: and M79 were obsolete by 1993."

: "The P4's parent design, the Walther P38, would not have been available
: to a unit operating overseas in 1938. "

The Walther P38 was designed and entered service in 1938: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P38

Calling it the Walther P4 is a mistake; the Walther P4 was a variant of the P38 that entered production in *the late 1970s*

The MP-41 entered production in 1941, as can be inferred by its designation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP_40#Variants_and_developments

"By the early 1990s, most M1911A1s had been replaced by the M9, though a limited number remain in use by special units. The U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) in particular were noted for continuing the use of M1911 pistols for selected personnel in MEU(SOC) and reconnaissance units (though the USMC also purchased over 50,000 M9 handguns)." Source: "Replacement for most uses" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

"The M203 was a success, and was standardized in 1969; it had replaced the M79 by the end of the war, though M79s were still used in Reserve and National Guard units." Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M79_grenade_launcher

: "The number of M16s with bent muzzles is also odd given that the
: then-standard model, the M16A2, had a reinforced forward barrel."

"M16A2 and later variants (A3 & A4) weigh more (8.5 lb (3.9 kg) loaded) because of the adoption of a thicker barrel profile. The thicker barrel is more resistant to damage when handled roughly and is also slower to overheat during sustained fire. Unlike a traditional "bull" barrel that is thick its entire length, the M16A2's barrel is only thick forward of the handguards." Source: "Design" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

More sources can be found on the sites I gave...I can personally vouch for the accuracy of the statements about the M16A2 and later derivatives having thicker barrels, owning an AR-15 myself.

: Of course, even with references you could argue that the Germans were given
: advanced prototype weapons because of the importance of their mission. The
: Spanish treasure seekers might have only been able to afford older
: weapons.

: However, the Special Forces team should have had the best of the best...
: unless they were set up.

: Cheers
: Hamish

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Earthtopus 2/8/12 8:43 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/8/12 11:48 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zonepoena.dare 2/9/12 2:01 a.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 6:31 a.m.
                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 1:56 p.m.
                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 2:10 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 9:51 a.m.
           some say the world will end in fire.Earthtopus 2/9/12 10:17 a.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Godot 2/9/12 10:37 a.m.
                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 12:32 p.m.
                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneMrM12LRV 2/9/12 1:11 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 2:07 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 3:02 p.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 11:41 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneMrM12LRV 2/9/12 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 4:00 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 4:05 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 11:43 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/10/12 9:23 a.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/10/12 1:53 p.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/11/12 2:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/11/12 9:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/11/12 9:48 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/11/12 6:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/11/12 8:43 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/12/12 7:12 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/12/12 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/12/12 1:29 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/12/12 4:40 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/12/12 5:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Bob-B-Q 2/12/12 8:16 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/12/12 9:30 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/13/12 9:30 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/13/12 9:45 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/13/12 9:48 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/13/12 6:48 p.m.
                                                                                                           Conspiracy!Earthtopus 2/13/12 11:16 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/11/12 5:53 p.m.
                 Re: Snowdenpoena.dare 2/9/12 6:40 p.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneJabberwok 2/11/12 12:16 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.