/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*
Posted By: EarthtopusDate: 2/8/12 8:43 p.m.

First let me just say I'm not trying to spam the forum with every update; I'm not trying to annoy anyone by posting new threads as they occur to me. I'm very grateful for somewhere I can talk about the six hours of Pathways I've played in the last 36 hours. Thanks to MrM12LRV and thanks, Hamish, for the comments and dissemination.

So I got a bit ahead of myself when I was bragging about my progress through the suffocation room, as I immediately ran into the room of four Ghasts guarding the save rune on Warning: Earthquake Zone and got jolted to the realization that I had to start over. And then a third, and fourth time, at no less than forty minutes real-world at a pop spawning ammo every minute with the game's...patience-teaching inventory management.

The routine I honed: 42 minutes of resting with no Red Cloak on (six times, health to full.) With two hours of oxygen, you could conceivably spend the whole first hour (or just less than that) spawning ammo (ammo spawns twice as slowly when the Cloak is on) and then use the second hours-worth of air in the slowed-down two. Red Cloak + ctrl-turbo means the last 2 hours and change only take about 35 minutes. I spawned entirely frag grenades, having used up my last full MP41 clip a second before when not paying attention. The AK-47 rounds are on their way and I could use the practice quick-reloading grenades anyway. There's a few left in corners on upper levels, so they're not gone gone. I'd like to think I could beat the game with just potions and no resting whatsoever, and maybe that's possible. 42 more grenades might have been useful, too. But I'd missed that rest dialog.

A funny thing about the doors. Pedro says (I looked it up, since I don't have the crystal yet) "They will open and wait for someone else." But the doors are closed when you get there, and stay open once you've beaten it. You can in fact run back into the level proper (I did once to save to see if I could). I will check on the way out if the trap resets but I have a feeling it doesn't.

The next level, Warning: Earthquake Zone is a wonderful chance to practice quick-reloading on the grenades, start frantically making SABOT ammo, and poison myself. The green oozes offer the second point thus far I am required to take damage--5 while being poisoned (might be reducible to 4). I have taken 60 damage thus far (out of a theoretical minimum of 50). The Hellbeast room offers me the chance to take out 7-8 Ghasts at a time with the Violet Crystal and frag grenade combo. Tasty. The Hellbeast does not take damage from your hits, as evidenced by an attempt which saw me take potions and hit him with everything I had while crampingly pulling up ctrl-"carnage" every two seconds of gameplay.

So I'm camped out in a tiny teleporter room on Don't Get Poisoned at 12:03 PM on Sunday (5h50 of game time, 2h50m outside that dammed room)-and most of the my time has been patiently generating ammo until I have enough to get to the next save rune without running out. This next bit will be somewhat boring both to play and write about (run through teleporter maze, get hit, restart, map resets, pause for ten minutes to make 300 bullets) but so it goes. I'm still excited enough to see how my Violet Crystal holds out for two last-level waves of Phantasms to see it through.

-Andrew

PS You can totally drink potions while wearing the gas mask. That's how I poisoned myself and de-poisoned myself. Now I'm wondering what the second brown potion was meant for.

PPS Sure, Bungie wouldn't want to have given me three hours to make AK-47 bullets, but that Spanish expedition must not have liked Pedro if they put him last in line with an _empty_ rifle. Or maybe he was down to his last bullet and was lying to you about how he died...

clinging like a drowning man to eighty percent acc

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Earthtopus 2/8/12 8:43 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/8/12 11:48 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zonepoena.dare 2/9/12 2:01 a.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 6:31 a.m.
                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 1:56 p.m.
                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 2:10 p.m.
     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 9:51 a.m.
           some say the world will end in fire.Earthtopus 2/9/12 10:17 a.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Godot 2/9/12 10:37 a.m.
                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 12:32 p.m.
                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneMrM12LRV 2/9/12 1:11 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 2:07 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 3:02 p.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 11:41 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneMrM12LRV 2/9/12 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/9/12 4:00 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/9/12 4:05 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/9/12 11:43 p.m.
                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/10/12 9:23 a.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/10/12 1:53 p.m.
                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/11/12 2:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/11/12 9:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/11/12 9:48 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/11/12 6:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/11/12 8:43 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/12/12 7:12 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/12/12 8:14 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/12/12 1:29 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/12/12 4:40 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneEarthtopus 2/12/12 5:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake Zone *LINK*Bob-B-Q 2/12/12 8:16 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/12/12 9:30 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/13/12 9:30 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/13/12 9:45 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneGodot 2/13/12 9:48 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneBob-B-Q 2/13/12 6:48 p.m.
                                                                                                           Conspiracy!Earthtopus 2/13/12 11:16 p.m.
                                   Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneAlric 2/11/12 5:53 p.m.
                 Re: Snowdenpoena.dare 2/9/12 6:40 p.m.
           Re: I'd Rather Be Surfing, Warning Earthquake ZoneJabberwok 2/11/12 12:16 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.