/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Bungie, Cyan Worlds, and Blizzard
Posted By: MrHenDate: 11/28/06 8:54 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Contacting Bungie (McNutcase)

: I'm not entirely sure it's fair to compare Marathon to Myst or Starcraft in
: judging its success. In absolute terms, yes, Marathon was never huge, but
: I wouldn't know about relative terms. The Mac market is intrinsicly
: smaller than the Windows market, simply because fewer people have Macs.
: But then we get into the fact that even a relative flop on Windows can
: outdo a success on Macs simply because the Windows market is so much
: bigger... but I'm rambling.

I would hazard a guess both Myst and Starcraft each sold more Mac units than the entire Marathon Trilogy combined. I doubt there is even a contest between Myst and the entire Marathon Trilogy. The numbers would have to fly when comparing Starcraft to the Trilogy.

The sales are hard measure because of hybrid discs. Both Myst and Starcraft can still be found on shelves in Best Buy (at least, they were the last time I was there).

Of course, comparing Starcraft to Marathon is a little faulty. It would be more like comparing Warcraft or Warcraft II to Marathon.

The other interesting thing to compare is where the companies went from their successes.

Blizzard has not created a flop yet and now they are the top player in their current genre of choice with World of Warcraft.

Bungie continued to make great games (Marathon 2, Marathon Infinity, Myth), but Oni did not do as well as hoped. Then came Halo and Halo 2 and they are the top players in that genre.

Both Blizzard and Bungie managed to take their early successes and come out top-dog.

Poor Cyan Worlds has not had such luck. They have continued to make great games, but each Myst has sold worse than the previous. Riven did really well, but Myst III and Myst IV were missing something. (Most notably, Cyan Worlds.) Their big gamble was URU, but they ran out of money.

Rumor has it they are bringing URU back, which will be awesome.

Comparing fans, the Myst community is huge. The primary reasons for that are the same reasons we love Marathon so much, but it helps that they consistently have more material to work with. Myst V was recently released and URU is back online. Plus their are Myst books... yada, yada.

Blizzard's older games still have some fans, but Blizzard is really good at topping what they have done in the past. The stories have not been lacking, but Blizzard focuses mostly on game-play. The communities for their games tend to follow Blizzard to the newer Blizzard games.

Bungie has us. We need no introduction and I think it is safe to say we are not going anywhere.

All in all, all three companies have been extremely successful, and all are excellent at what they do. Comparing them is fun, but there is no real contest between them. I am not saying one is better than the other and that does include Bungie.

These three companies are my personal favorites when it comes to gaming developers due to a mixture of elements. One of those has been that I can always play their games on my Mac.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Wouldn't it be cool if...phobos 11/1/06 3:46 p.m.
     while it *would* be coolMrHen 11/2/06 1:25 p.m.
           Re: while it *would* be coolPhobos 11/2/06 3:28 p.m.
                 Re: while it *would* be coolkyjel 11/2/06 3:47 p.m.
           Re: while it *would* be coolAaron Sikes 11/2/06 3:50 p.m.
                 oh, now *that* would be coolMrHen 11/3/06 8:40 a.m.
                       Re: oh, now *that* would be coolNicholai 11/3/06 9:03 a.m.
                             Re: oh, now *that* would be coolAaron Sikes 11/3/06 9:13 a.m.
                             nice.MrHen 11/3/06 10:39 a.m.
                                   Re: nice.Nicholai 11/4/06 9:47 p.m.
                                         Is there a way to correct already posted messages? *NM*Nicholai 11/4/06 9:49 p.m.
                                               NopeForrest of B.org 11/4/06 9:56 p.m.
                                                     What about making your own?ukimalefu 11/4/06 11:10 p.m.
                                                     Re: NopeNicholai 11/5/06 7:48 a.m.
                                                           Re: Nopephobos 11/7/06 10:56 a.m.
                                                                 Re: NopeNicholai 11/10/06 12:29 p.m.
                                                                       granted that all of us want Marathon figures *NM*Nicholai 11/10/06 12:30 p.m.
                                                                       Re: NopePhobos 11/12/06 10:43 a.m.
                                                                             Re: NopeNicholai 11/13/06 9:22 a.m.
                                                                                   whoa, wait a minute...MrHen 11/13/06 9:48 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: whoa, wait a minute...phobos 11/15/06 4:06 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: whoa, wait a minute...phobos 11/15/06 4:21 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: whoa, wait a minute...Phobos 11/26/06 10:59 a.m.
                                                                                                           Contacting Bungie *LINK*MrHen 11/27/06 12:29 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Contacting BungieMatt 11/27/06 3:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Contacting BungieMcNutcase 11/27/06 9:32 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Contacting BungieMatt 11/28/06 1:31 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Contacting BungieMcNutcase 11/28/06 2:02 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Contacting Bungietreellama 11/28/06 2:45 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Contacting BungieMcNutcase 11/28/06 3:01 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Contacting Bungietreellama 11/28/06 6:45 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Contacting BungieMcNutcase 11/28/06 6:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Bungie, Cyan Worlds, and BlizzardMrHen 11/28/06 8:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Contacting Bungiekyjel 11/27/06 10:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Contacting BungieForrest of B.org 11/27/06 11:01 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   sadly trueMrHen 11/28/06 8:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Contacting BungieMrHen 11/28/06 9:01 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Contacting BungieAaron Sikes 11/28/06 9:34 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Contacting BungieMcNutcase 11/28/06 10:31 a.m.
                                         Re: nice.MrHen 11/6/06 11:15 a.m.
                                               Re: nice.Forrest of B.org 11/6/06 2:58 p.m.
                                                     I like that, but now we are missing a queen *NM*MrHen 11/6/06 4:53 p.m.
                                                     Re: nice.Document 11/6/06 7:37 p.m.
                                                           Robert Blake *NM*Nicholai 11/6/06 7:51 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Robert BlakeDocument 11/7/06 1:14 p.m.
                                                                       easy, he's the only one with Jason's face :-P *NM*Nicholai 11/8/06 11:44 a.m.
                                                                             LOL :-P *NM*Aaron Sikes 11/8/06 12:45 p.m.
     I created custom Marathon figures alreddy. : ) *LINK*Blayne 11/6/06 12:38 p.m.
           Re: I created custom Marathon figures alreddy. : )Phobos 11/6/06 4:14 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.