/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Mappers gather round
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 12/2/05 12:21 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Mappers gather round (RyokoTK)

: Like goran said, the leader of pretty much every project
: is also the main mapper (except for Eternal, I don't know how Fobo did
: that)

I did that by being the main mapper for most of Eternal as it is presently released, which is largely why is sucked so bad. (The boring textures didn't help much either, but I'm not going to get all down on myself about stuff here, it's not polite).

Of the maps 40 maps in Eternal Mk V (counting both of the recurring dreams levels as only one level each, not five each, and discounting the two completely unfinished maps entirely), here's the breakdown on who made what:

23 of them (57.5%) - Forrest
7 of them (17.5%) - Don
3 of them (7.5%) - Sean
3 of them (7.5%) - Dylan
1 of them (5%) - Adam
1 of them (5%) - Bill
1 of them (5%) - Can't remember the name off the top of my head, he made "Viscera"
1 of them (5%) - Can't remember the name off the top of my head, he made "Unlucky for Some"

I possibly made some mistakes in this calculation too... a couple maps I attributed to other people were possibly made by still other people that I don't remember (but they're in the credits somewhere, I have this all written down at home). Basically the only reason Eternal has such a high percentage of not-made-by-me maps is that the project is so damn old and a lot of people came and went over the course of the project... although looking at this, the only maps that were kept from before this last revitalization of the project are Viscera and Unlucky; the rest are are new recruits from here and such).

In Eternal X, I've realized my strengths and weaknesses and am focusing primarily on improving the 2D graphics in the game: textures, landscapes, interface, terminal picts, I might give a try at uniformly redesigning the weapons (though I'd rather they be 3D-modelled, which I can't do unless I can get my hands on Maya). About half of the maps have already been revised or recreated by Don, Goran, Adam, Andreas, and Dylan already, and they are so phenomenally better than any of the crap I made it's not even funny. (I wish you'd come back and do more, Goran. Still not sure why you decided to quit).

But anyway... your collective main point, Goran and Ryoko, I agree with. Release something first, do something yourself, take the feedback and work with it to make things better, and then people might want to help if they like the direction your project is going. That was the point of the incremented release schedule I did with the "Marks" - a series of public demos, betas, previews, whatever you want to call them, showing the progress of the project generating interest. Only once I'd done that did previously skeptical people with skills decide that they might want to help.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Mappers gather roundShadowbreaker 11/30/05 5:37 p.m.
     Get to back of the line... ; )Blayne 12/1/05 9:19 a.m.
           Re: Get to back of the line... ; )RyokoTK 12/1/05 11:51 a.m.
                 Re: Get to back of the line... ; )Steve Levinson 12/1/05 4:42 p.m.
                 Re: Get to back of the line... ; )Simon/team Sigma 12/1/05 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: Get to back of the line... ; )Blayne 12/6/05 2:15 p.m.
                             Re: Get to back of the line... ; )Shadowbreaker 12/6/05 7:25 p.m.
     Re: Mappers gather roundellio7t 12/1/05 10:21 a.m.
           Re: Mappers gather roundellio7t 12/1/05 2:43 p.m.
     Re: Mappers gather roundC Lund 12/1/05 12:37 p.m.
           Re: Mappers gather roundShadowbreaker 12/1/05 4:47 p.m.
                 Re: Mappers gather roundC Lund 12/1/05 11:51 p.m.
           Re: Mappers gather roundgoran 12/1/05 11:14 p.m.
                 Re: Mappers gather roundRyokoTK 12/2/05 3:22 a.m.
                       Re: Mappers gather roundSimon/team Sigma 12/2/05 3:31 a.m.
                             The problem is he doesn't have a Mac *NM*Steve Levinson 12/2/05 4:57 a.m.
                                   That's his problem, then. *NM*RyokoTK 12/2/05 5:08 a.m.
                                         Re: That's his problem, then.Shadowbreaker 12/2/05 8:36 a.m.
                                               Re: That's his problem, then.RyokoTK 12/2/05 9:43 a.m.
                       Re: Mappers gather roundgoran 12/2/05 10:05 a.m.
                             Re: Mappers gather roundShadowbreaker 12/2/05 11:30 a.m.
                       Re: Mappers gather roundForrest of B.org 12/2/05 12:21 p.m.
                             here's my storygoran 12/2/05 1:29 p.m.
                                   Re: here's my storyForrest of B.org 12/2/05 1:54 p.m.
                                         Re: here's my storygoran 12/2/05 2:48 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.