/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?
Posted By: C LundDate: 10/6/05 10:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie? (Steve Levinson)

: Blade Runner was exceptional for Sci-Fi, even in its day, but it definitely
: was not a typical mass-market movie. It happened to do well particularly
: because it was so well done.

Also, it had a near-total lack of Hollywood cliches. It didn't even have a real Villian.

: The Matrix - well, I really enjoyed this one, but I really have a problem
: with fatally flawed premises. Come on - build a huge support system to use
: humans to generate energy?

Yeah. I always wondered why they couldn't just build orbiting solar cell arrays. Or just leave earth altogether.

: I hate it when a
: movie forces you to suspend fundamental laws of physics.

Well, I enjoyed the original Star Wars films, even though I could hear their star ships roar in space.. ;)

It depends how obvious this suspention is. I have a bigger problem with the way CGI fx tend to ignore center of mass (Blade II fex), or the way people keep jumping through indows without getting a single scratch, or the way people can hit each other over and over without anybody getting permanent brain damage, or the way cars explode if you so much as scratch the paint, and so on.

But the biggest problem I have with Hollywood films is that no matter how original and interesting the first half hour of the film is, the rest of the film will always end up in the same predictable boring way. Villian get thrown of cliff after long andboring fistfight over ticking bomb with red LEDs while love interest sobs in the background* and so on.

* Although these days there's a good chance the love interest will have a Villainess she can fight while the hero fights the main Villain.

: Now there actually have been some outstanding movies to come out of
: Holywood in recent years - not many, and virtually none of them Sci-Fi.

Um. Ok. But Marathon would be Sci-Fi, and that means you have to compare it with the other Sci-Fi films Hollywood upchucks. And Hollywood makes it's Sci-Fi films according to the summer shlockbuster mold - which is what I'm talking about.

: I
: agree with Forrest - if someone came up with a really good script and,
: more importantly, with financial backing, Holywood will make it.

And then the studios will make small changes to the script, such as add a sidekick, a love interest, and a Villian that can be thrown off a cliff. Even Bladerunner had a brush with this in it's original release. Thus the stupid voiceover and the tacked-on happy ending. (I'm *so* grateful for the Director's Cut)

: The
: reason we won't see a Hollywood production of Marathon is that there
: aren't enough of us to generate instant demand (in contrast to Halo), nor
: is there a run-away block-buster Marathon book, nor is there a Billionaire
: Marathon Fan who is willing to put up the money to make it. *Sigh* And
: special effects cost money - no Indy film maker could afford to make a
: Marathon Movie.

Again, I'd like to mention the fanflics:

http://www-fi2.starwreck.com/thetrailer.php

CGI is coming to a desktop near you. Maybe some day the regulars on this forum will be able to make a Marathon movie ourselves (or more likely, 3-4 different Marathon movies, based on our differing ideas of what it should be like).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

"ring" movie again: Peter Jackson to Produce HaloSkrolnik 10/5/05 12:17 a.m.
     And we're supposed to care because..? *NM*Bob-B-Q 10/5/05 12:47 p.m.
     *forlorn hope for a Marthon movie* *NM*kyjel 10/5/05 1:33 p.m.
           Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/5/05 11:46 p.m.
                 Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Forrest of B.org 10/6/05 6:45 a.m.
                       Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/6/05 9:50 a.m.
                             Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 12:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Forrest of B.org 10/6/05 2:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Forrest of B.org 10/7/05 6:27 a.m.
                                         Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/7/05 6:17 a.m.
                       Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 12:04 p.m.
                             Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Steve Levinson 10/6/05 5:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 10:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Vid Boi 10/6/05 11:09 p.m.
                             Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Callie21V 10/7/05 6:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/7/05 6:29 a.m.
                 Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/6/05 9:40 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.