/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?
Posted By: C LundDate: 10/6/05 12:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie? (Forrest of B.org)

: Make Leela, Tycho, and Durandal holographic instead of textual.

hmyeah. Hollywood might do that. Then the Marathon would basically become "Resident Evil 4" (#3 being the imminent DOOM movie).

: Leela - female, possibly even a sort of platonic 'love interest' (I always
: did have a thing for Leela). "Save me save me!" even works in
: there.

Yeah, but Our Hero won't be able to lower her down on the bed while she moans "oh Rex" and violins whine and flames dance in the background. Can't *not* do that in a Hollywood film.. ;)

: Durandal - evil villain who sells us out to the Pfhor, sort of, though he
: doesn't quite wind up getting dissolved.

Yeah, but there's no blood. No skin falling off in chunks. The lowest common denominator wants the Villian to *bleed*.

: Tycho - well, he gets disassembled in the end, anyway.

The problem is that we're getting far too many characters in this point. A Hollywood fx spectacle needs a Hero, a Love Interest, a clumsy sidekick, and a Villian. Plus lots of noname henchmen / statists who can die during the movie. Any more characters than that would confuse the lowest common denominator. And we can't have that... B/

: And then you could always work in a Bernhard Strauss subplot if you really
: need more human interaction. Or focus on the group of Bobs from "The
: Rose" or some such as a parallel plot while cyborg-boy is off on his
: own. (Maybe they got taken to the Pfhor ship after we left them, so we
: encounter them - and Strauss perhaps? - while exploring over there, but
: are unable to save them and they get thrown into stasis. Except Strauss.
: He gets cocky and gets a shockstaff shoved up his... yeah).

But this is faar to complicated for the people Hollywood aims for with their films. They're going for the lowest common denominator. Not the connessoirs of this forum. ;)

: Seriously, I think just making the AIs holographic characters and telling a
: bit from the Bobs' point of view would make the Marathon plot perfectly
: suitable for even a Hollywood movie, and it would probably sell great.
: Especially if the Halo movie does well and Bungie gets some cinematic name
: recognition. Have it so that nobody ever see the main character's face and
: save money on a big-name actor. It worked for Darth Vader and Robo Cop.

I might be a bit cynical, but Hollywood has been churning out crap for the past twenty years or so. They do make the occasional good movie (Matrix, Blade Runner), but most of their gunk is more like Total Recall. I've been disappointed too many times. I generally find that the best part of the film is the trailer. If you've seen that, then you've seen everything worth seeing in the film.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

"ring" movie again: Peter Jackson to Produce HaloSkrolnik 10/5/05 12:17 a.m.
     And we're supposed to care because..? *NM*Bob-B-Q 10/5/05 12:47 p.m.
     *forlorn hope for a Marthon movie* *NM*kyjel 10/5/05 1:33 p.m.
           Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/5/05 11:46 p.m.
                 Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Forrest of B.org 10/6/05 6:45 a.m.
                       Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/6/05 9:50 a.m.
                             Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 12:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Forrest of B.org 10/6/05 2:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Forrest of B.org 10/7/05 6:27 a.m.
                                         Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/7/05 6:17 a.m.
                       Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 12:04 p.m.
                             Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Steve Levinson 10/6/05 5:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?C Lund 10/6/05 10:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Vid Boi 10/6/05 11:09 p.m.
                             Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?Callie21V 10/7/05 6:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/7/05 6:29 a.m.
                 Re: Are you sure you *want* a Marathon movie?ukimalefu 10/6/05 9:40 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.