/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The NeverEnding Story
Posted By: YossarianDate: 4/9/05 8:11 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The NeverEnding Story (•M)

: After three harrassed days without much sleep a friendly client in high
: places on mars pulled some corporate levers and he got a report of the
: martian security force and a videofeed of one of their sec-bots. The
: report was dry, harsh and to the point. A tiny mob, no more than a dozen
: people were chasing the neigbours wife who somehow had gotten an armfull
: of vat-grown food. In panick she had busted in on Eve's
: surface-compartment, the mob also entered and in the strugle a faulty wall
: was breached. The explosive evaporating atmossphere launched the
: interior's furniture into a maelstrom and while most people escaped back
: into a secure tunnelback a few were hit by debris, among them Eve. She was
: knocked unconsious and could have survived if the air was breathable. It
: was not.
: The videofeed was after the body's had cleared. The chalked outlines combined
: with the trajectories of the furniture confirmed the tale.

: Ralph still had the report and vid, all closed up and double protected in his
: private mem-sphere. Once a year he got stone-drunk, looked at it in
: silence and went barhopping, looking for a fight. His crew knew about
: this, and while allowing him to pick a fight they made sure nothing
: serious happened after a drunken brawl. Then they made sure he got in his
: own quarters relatively unharmed.

: The triggering of memories by Eve's name had made him bitter in an instant.
: The UESC spook could go to hell trying to get to him on an emotional
: level. Which had worked. He was ready for a brawl right now.
: "You will give me an hour to clear matters with my crew", Ralph
: said.
: "Oh no mr Cameron, I must insist..."
: "Eat vacuum, I'm not much of a shipbuilder if I don't hand over the
: command to the boseman with the yards sec-files and keyes, am I? I'm not a
: diplomat, so if I say I need an hour to transfer protocols, I need 60
: minutes of them".
: "Allright mr Cameron, the 60 minutes start as of now. At 14.45 exact I
: will have you onboard the vessel Archangel Michel Bravo or your
: shipbuilderyears are over."

Ralph exited the office with forced determination, putting the radio to his mouth: "Crew chiefs and platform supervisors, I want you and your leads in the conference room in ten minutes." His radio chirped and clicked and his crew sent back confirmations. They liked using the old radios, seeing as how the P-coms never seemed to have enough range and were prone to software glitches; when you're in a pinch there's nothing like good old reliable radio waves to get the messages across.

Ralph holstered the radio and started towards the conference room.

"You're doing a wonderful thing for the Council, Mr. Cameron." Said the officer, his hands clapsed behind his back, following behind Ralph. "If you're as good at shipbuilding as we've heard, you're going to go very far. You should consider yourself lucky you've been considered to be a part of the U.E.S.C.'s most ambitious program to date."

Ralph punched the arilock release opening the door, as they exited the platform into the main corridor. "Ambitious how? As ambitious, as, say, feeding several million Martians? Or what? Another useless battlecruiser to protect us from an invisible fleet of aliens? Or how about a great big colony ship to start another settlement Earth can't support? Then I suppose I'd end up back here working on CRISTs again..."

"Mr Cameron, I understand the mindset the death of your wife has put you in, but the designs of the Council-"

Ralph stopped the officer dead in his tracks. "You want to know something? Fuck you and your beloved Council." Technicians passing in the corridor stopped and stared at the big engineer speaking down to the little black-uniformed spook. "Look, it's enough I'm coming along with you on this, but if I have to hear you parrot the whole time about our glorious Council and their amazing exploits and grand schemes for the future, then we're going to have a problem. Your black uniform and slicked back hair mean about shit to me, if you don't think everyone here can see you're nothing but a little man with a big ego then you're fooling yourself as well. You know why? Because we produce. We work. We use our hands to make a goddamn difference. Blood, sweat, and tears. You spooks sit on your asses and intimidate, wasting good air and good food." Ralph swung around, out of the officer's face. "Let's go." They started back towards the conference room.

The little man tagged behind, quiet, scowling at any passing tech or crewman that dared look in his direction.

Most of the crew were in the room by the time Ralph got in, making them early. Like Ralph, they hated wasting time. If he told them to be somewhere in then minutes, they were usually there in four. This made Ralph smile, his crew and the CRIST were, after all, what he lived for.

Ralph looked out into the group of yellow, green, and blue coveralls and helmets. "Okay everyone, I want to make this short and sweet." Ralph addressed them, standing with arms folded at the front of the room. "The situation has changed a little. We still have millions of tons of shit sitting in depots planetside waiting to go; we still have millions of Martians needing that shit pretty bad, we still have politicians all over our asses, and we've got less time to do more things that need to happen to get that CRIST up and going."

Ralph knew they knew the importance of what they were doing. They had the fastest turn-around time of any CRIST repair and refitting team in the past 100 years. They were the best welders, structural engineers, and equipment operators between Earth and the Moon.

"What has changed is me. I'm leaving today. The most important thing is that you stay to the schedule and get back on track after today's mishap with the cranes. I don't want anyone getting sentimental. All these years you've all been able to remember that this isn't about us, and it isn't about me. I know that all of you would cut off your hands if it meant a CRIST could leave dock the same day it came in, and that's is why you're the best. You've got heart and you always have." Ralph shot a glance to the spook while he said that final sentence. The officer was staring through Ralph, beyond the wall, out into space.

Ralph knew a lot of his crew had family on Mars. They'd gone without sleep before, and without comfort working on the ships. They'd go without pay if it came to that.

Ralph took his helmet, radio, and P-com and handed them to Eddie. "Eddie's the new CE as of right now. He knows what to do and so do you. I know you're itching to get back out there so..." Ralph paused, wanting to say more.

"That's it."

Instead of jumping up to return to work, everyone sat staring at him.

After moments of silence, Eddie stepped forward, removing his helmet. He looked Ralph square in the eye and gave him a good handshake. His goodbye said, Eddie put on his gloves and new helmet and starting walking back to the platform, back to work. Frank did the same. Then the crew chiefs and sup's one at a time took off their helmets, standing in line to say goodbye to the best boss, the best leader they had known. Ralph's eyes misted as the line grew, giving handshakes and hugs as they filed past to go back to work.

After all was gone, Anika was the last to say goodbye. As supply coordinator she had made sure they always had everything they needed; work had never been delayed due to shortages or late shipments. She held out to him a white paper box. He regarded her and then slowly opened the package, smiling as he pulled out a silver bolt. Since the early days of the CRISTs it had been considered luck for the cheif engineer of the refit to keep the last bolt of construction. The old engineers and captains said it kept them running longer and out of Earth's spacedock.

Anika kissed him on the cheek and walked out to join the others.

Ralph stood there in the empty room, his helmet and tools gone, with nothing but the silver bolt in his hand, turning it over, his eyes wet, a lazy smile on his face.

"You're a lucky man, Mr. Cameron." The officer in black said quietly from the corner of the room.

"Yeah." Ralph pocketd the bolt. "Let's get out of here."

Ralph went to his quarters, stuffing piles of dirty laundery into a duffel bag, leaving the empty bottles and food containers to the next occupant.

By 14:45 he was on the Archangel Michael Bravo, sitting down and wishing for a drink...

---
Hmm....a little soo mushy?

-Yossarian

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/2/05 9:55 a.m.
     Re: The NeverEnding Storyblake37 4/2/05 11:05 a.m.
           Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/3/05 4:49 a.m.
                 Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 4/3/05 9:46 a.m.
                       Keep going! I'll post this to the MaraFF in awhile *NM*Blayne 4/3/05 3:31 p.m.
                       Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/4/05 5:33 a.m.
                             Re: The NeverEnding Storyblake37 4/4/05 11:50 a.m.
                                   Just a reminder about pre-FTL communication *NM*Steve Levinson 4/4/05 12:31 p.m.
                                         Opps, your right.... Erm, crap :-\ *NM*blake37 4/4/05 1:10 p.m.
                                               Re: Opps, your right.... Erm, crap :-\D-M.A. 4/4/05 8:00 p.m.
                                                     Correct - wanted to be sure others didn't slip up *NM*Steve Levinson 4/4/05 8:19 p.m.
                                                     Re: Opps, your right.... Erm, crap :-\blake37 4/5/05 10:33 a.m.
                                   Re: The NeverEnding Story•M 4/4/05 9:45 p.m.
                                         Re: The NeverEnding StoryForrest of B.org 4/5/05 8:02 a.m.
                                               Re: AMB•M 4/5/05 8:13 a.m.
                                         Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 4/9/05 8:11 a.m.
                                               Re: The NeverEnding StoryForrest of B.org 4/10/05 5:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: The NeverEnding Story - noteBlayne 4/11/05 3:38 p.m.
                                               Re: The NeverEnding Story•M 4/13/05 1:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/18/05 5:25 a.m.
                                                           Re: The NeverEnding Storyduality 5/21/05 12:02 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The NeverEnding StoryBlayne 5/23/05 5:41 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 5/23/05 7:55 p.m.
                                                                             lazy baztardoz! *NM*Johannes Gunnar 5/24/05 6:22 a.m.
                                                                             did itduality 5/24/05 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: did itBlayne 5/26/05 12:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: did itduality 5/27/05 3:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 6/1/05 7:40 p.m.
                                                                       Wow! Great job, Yoss. *NM*Steve Levinson 6/2/05 3:56 a.m.
                                                                             Agreed! *NM*D-M.A. 6/2/05 7:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The NeverEnding Storychotinai 6/22/05 9:07 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 6/22/05 10:19 p.m.
                                                                             weirdest spam eVer mb?! :P *NM*Johannes Gunnar 6/23/05 2:26 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The NeverEnding StoryEnkidu 6/23/05 4:20 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The NeverEnding StoryBlayne 6/26/05 12:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 12/2/06 9:52 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.