/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The NeverEnding Story
Posted By: D-M.A.Date: 12/2/06 9:52 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The NeverEnding Story (Yossarian)

Chapter 2

13 years earlier.

Benji took one last look around the apartment. He had finished packing his bags in quite a hurry, and was trying to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything. He could finally say goodbye to the cramped, sterile room he had been calling home for the last five years. Still he could consider himself quite lucky, lots of people on Mars got by with much less.
It had been quite a surprise when a guy from the U.E.S.C. had shown up at his work asking for him. The guy in a clean, wrinkle free, black suite, unnaturally white skin and slick, black hair, not one strand of hair pointing in the wrong direction, had looked quite out of place there down in the dark and dirty mines.
Sure Benji was good at his job, and had recently been promoted for his outstanding performance, but still, he couldn't understand what the U.E.S.C. wanted with a simple mine driller as himself. Nevertheless, he would be a fool to say no to such an offer. Just the thought of getting a chance to leave Mars got him really excited.

"Beep beep beep"

The screen on his communicator was flashing the word "love".

"Yea baby, I'll be there in 15 minutes tops, I just finished packing."

"I still don't understand, we have to talk about this, you can't just up and leave your whole life like this!"

He could hear she had been crying, the voice on the other end was shaky and upset. Still he couldn't feel much sympathy right now, he was just too excited about leaving this shit hole to care. He briefly felt a lot of guilt for his selfishness.

"We'll talk when I get there baby, the guy only gave me one hour, but I would be a fool not to go, you have to und..."

There was a sudden crash outside. He could hear loud footsteps and angry, shouting voices coming his way in the corridor outside. There was an abrupt knock on the door.

"I have to go."

"Don't you dare han..."

He disconnected the com and headed to the door. He hardly even had time to unlock before the door was forcefully swung open. The door hit Benji's forehead with such a force that he stumbled backwards and fell down on his bed.
A tall man which looked like someone had just killed his grandmother stood in the doorway looking around taking in the view of Benji's apartment. His eyes stopped and fixed on Benji.

"IS SHE HERE?" The man shouted angrily at Benji.

Benji felt confused and angry at the same time.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ALL ABOUT?" Was the short and to the point reply.

The man took one last look around. He probably concluded that it would be hard to hide someone in the small room, and the confusion on Benji's face was probably quite visible. The man disappeared down the corridor.
Benji was too curious not to follow. He started running after the man down the corridor. "Curiosity killed the cat". The expression suddenly jumped up in his mind. But the cry of a woman further down the hall and more crashing sounds just fed his curiosity.

Maynard was sitting infront of the terminal screen totally submerged in the report he was reading.

BZZZZ

Not even the buzzing sound from his communicator could get his attention.

"Hallo?"

The voice of his superior snapped him right out of it though. Maynard fumbled around on the desk looking for the com.

"Yes sir?"

"We have a situation - Mr. Rawlings never showed up. I want you to look up th... ah what the heck, just meet me on 64'th street. Condo 252 in 20 minutes, okay?"

Maynard felt a tension build up in his gut. This could be his first "mission" outside the office. Perhaps his chance to show what he was made of. He tried to hide his excitement.

"Of course sir, I'll be there right away."

Maynard hurried out of his seat, while correcting his big glasses. He half ran down the three flight of stairs down to the ground floor. If someone told him to be somewhere in 20 minutes, he'd be there in half that time. He almost knocked down a man coming in though the door to the building on his way out. The older man grunted and gave him a disapproving look. Maynard nodded in an apologetic way...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/2/05 9:55 a.m.
     Re: The NeverEnding Storyblake37 4/2/05 11:05 a.m.
           Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/3/05 4:49 a.m.
                 Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 4/3/05 9:46 a.m.
                       Keep going! I'll post this to the MaraFF in awhile *NM*Blayne 4/3/05 3:31 p.m.
                       Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/4/05 5:33 a.m.
                             Re: The NeverEnding Storyblake37 4/4/05 11:50 a.m.
                                   Just a reminder about pre-FTL communication *NM*Steve Levinson 4/4/05 12:31 p.m.
                                         Opps, your right.... Erm, crap :-\ *NM*blake37 4/4/05 1:10 p.m.
                                               Re: Opps, your right.... Erm, crap :-\D-M.A. 4/4/05 8:00 p.m.
                                                     Correct - wanted to be sure others didn't slip up *NM*Steve Levinson 4/4/05 8:19 p.m.
                                                     Re: Opps, your right.... Erm, crap :-\blake37 4/5/05 10:33 a.m.
                                   Re: The NeverEnding Story•M 4/4/05 9:45 p.m.
                                         Re: The NeverEnding StoryForrest of B.org 4/5/05 8:02 a.m.
                                               Re: AMB•M 4/5/05 8:13 a.m.
                                         Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 4/9/05 8:11 a.m.
                                               Re: The NeverEnding StoryForrest of B.org 4/10/05 5:48 p.m.
                                                     Re: The NeverEnding Story - noteBlayne 4/11/05 3:38 p.m.
                                               Re: The NeverEnding Story•M 4/13/05 1:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 4/18/05 5:25 a.m.
                                                           Re: The NeverEnding Storyduality 5/21/05 12:02 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The NeverEnding StoryBlayne 5/23/05 5:41 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 5/23/05 7:55 p.m.
                                                                             lazy baztardoz! *NM*Johannes Gunnar 5/24/05 6:22 a.m.
                                                                             did itduality 5/24/05 1:51 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: did itBlayne 5/26/05 12:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: did itduality 5/27/05 3:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 6/1/05 7:40 p.m.
                                                                       Wow! Great job, Yoss. *NM*Steve Levinson 6/2/05 3:56 a.m.
                                                                             Agreed! *NM*D-M.A. 6/2/05 7:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: The NeverEnding Storychotinai 6/22/05 9:07 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The NeverEnding StoryYossarian 6/22/05 10:19 p.m.
                                                                             weirdest spam eVer mb?! :P *NM*Johannes Gunnar 6/23/05 2:26 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The NeverEnding StoryEnkidu 6/23/05 4:20 p.m.
                                                                             Re: The NeverEnding StoryBlayne 6/26/05 12:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The NeverEnding StoryD-M.A. 12/2/06 9:52 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.