/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the Sky
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/7/05 5:03 p.m.

In Response To: Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the Sky (blake37)

: Which I havent, but probaly should

Fist-of-God Mountain is a mountain where a giant asteroid (called Fist-of-God by the natives) smashed into Ringworld from the outside (the bottom, uninhabited side of the ring) and pummelled it's way through the nearly-impenetrable material that Ringworld is made out of ("scrith"), pushing up a huge bump on the inner (inhabited) side of Ringworld and then poking a hole in the top of it. You'd think that the atmosphere would all go rushing out the hole, but the bump (mountain) was so tall, it reached up above the atmosphere, so no air managed to escape it. (Although, a chunk of Fist-of-God fell back down on the habitable side later and poked another, very small hole, creating a huge sideways hurricane storm that will eventually drain the atmosphere away entirely).

Because the "hollow world" in Eternal is a sphere, there's no way for anything to get in or out of it unless you want to open a hole and let all the atmosphere fly out... unless, that is, you put the hole at the top of a huge mountain that reaches above the atmosphere.

On the topic of unrealistic effects on these levels, there is the sound of wind at the top of the hole, again added for dramatic atmosphere (no pun intended), even though there is no air here and thus could be no wind.

: Argh, I almost have it, but not quite, argh. Could I have a hint? Pretty
: please?

You wrote, "And it goes on to say that our ansesters know nothing of whay sleept beneith them, sounds like the PID W'rk to me". You are right that it is the W'rk from PiD, but it is not referring to the time of PiD; rather, to a time much, much longer ago. We'll cover this more in Chapter 5. :-)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

eternal Volunteers: the Land in the Skyblake37 2/6/05 10:30 a.m.
     Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the SkySteve Levinson 2/6/05 12:40 p.m.
           Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the Skyblake37 2/6/05 12:52 p.m.
     Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the SkyForrest of B.org 2/6/05 4:53 p.m.
           Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the Skyblake37 2/7/05 3:24 p.m.
                 Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the SkyForrest of B.org 2/7/05 4:09 p.m.
                       Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the Skyblake37 2/7/05 4:21 p.m.
                             Re: eternal Volunteers: the Land in the SkyForrest of B.org 2/7/05 5:03 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.