/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 8/26/04 5:23 p.m.

In Response To: Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else) (Forrest of B.org)

I'm feeling a little better now so I'd just like to comment on something here.

Adam, I don't entirely know why, but for some reason everything I read from you lately makes me upset. I think it's mostly the incessant nagging that I make drastic changes that require even more work to a project that's already losing momentum and probably won't see the light of day and, on top of that, it looks like once again nobody but I gives a fuck anymore.

I do hear what everyone is saying about the textures. I made a lot of changes to Set 5 while you were away, the 'base' materials are almost entirely redone (the first two at least, the metal is still just metal unless someone can suggest how to make it more metallic), the pipes are now a different color from the base and had more detail themselves, the logos likewise look less like just a Photoshop emboss of the background. Set 5 has been bugging me for a while and I've always figured I would make some revisions in Mk II. That does not mean throwing out the entire thing, though.

Likewise, I've always known that all the textures are in some ways a little boring, in the sense of there's alot of variations on the same things, and off in the back of my head I've been thinking of ways to fix that without, again, THROWING EVERYTHING I'VE ALREADY MADE AWAY. I am not, under any circumstances, retexturing Eternal again. The textures are what they are, and while they may and hopefully will see some improvements over the course of development, I am not scrapping the basic system that they're all built on. If you're wondering, the course I've been considering most for adding variety is simply to add a different type of "widget" for each color set - that is to say, while right now any given Set X has one type of "wall lamp" and fifteen variations thereof, to make, perhaps, three different types of wall lamp for each, one for each material type. Ditto more types of "pipes" (which don't all have to be pipes, just something the same general shape), etc, effectively tripling the number of unique texture types in the game.

Also, regarding the complex wall textures, the ones with the floor and ceiling linings and support columns and stuff, I'm thinking that those really were a nice texture, and I might redo the door textures so that there is only one door type which will function for either Split or Whole doors, and then make the other Door texture a complex wall texture combining different colors and materials.

But I'm not doing any of that for Mark II. Mark II will be released as soon as I get levels 16 and 19, and I'm holding you personally responsible for this delay. This is your fault, not mine. Built a large and complex space that made Forge puke in two days of no sleep, to make up for Duff Man flaking out, and I was relying on you of all people on the team to actually be able to pull through on time. I guess I can't rely on anybody but myself for anything.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/23/04 12:52 a.m.
     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)blake37 8/23/04 3:34 p.m.
     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/23/04 5:42 p.m.
           Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)mneub12 8/23/04 5:53 p.m.
                 Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/23/04 6:35 p.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)mneub12 8/24/04 6:42 a.m.
                             Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Andrew Nagy 8/24/04 7:12 a.m.
                                   Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)mneub12 8/24/04 7:58 a.m.
                                         Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Andrew Nagy 8/24/04 9:22 a.m.
                                               Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/24/04 10:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Andrew Nagy 8/24/04 5:00 p.m.
     MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED!!!D-M.A. 8/24/04 12:50 a.m.
           Re: MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED!!!Forrest of B.org 8/24/04 10:33 a.m.
     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Adam Ashwell 8/24/04 5:14 a.m.
           Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Adam Ashwell 8/24/04 7:02 a.m.
                 Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Steve Levinson 8/24/04 9:36 a.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/24/04 10:44 a.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)a disreputable source 8/24/04 4:57 p.m.
                             Yes!Steve Levinson 8/24/04 7:06 p.m.
                                   Forrest - Here's the dual liquid trickSteve Levinson 8/25/04 3:39 a.m.
                                         Re: Forrest - Here's the dual liquid trickAdam Ashwell 8/25/04 3:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Forrest - Here's the dual liquid trickSteve Levinson 8/25/04 9:07 a.m.
           Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Adam Ashwell 8/25/04 6:18 a.m.
                 Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 4:41 p.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 5:23 p.m.
                             Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Simon of team Sigma 8/26/04 5:53 p.m.
                                   Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 6:25 p.m.
                             Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now online *NM*Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 6:17 p.m.
                                   Forrest, check your email -_- *NM*Simon of team Sigma 8/26/04 6:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:02 a.m.
                                         Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:04 a.m.
                                               Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:09 a.m.
                                                     Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:10 a.m.
                                                           Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:14 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:26 a.m.
                                                                                   *BANG* reloads shotgunsblake37 8/27/04 3:30 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: *BANG* reloads shotgunsAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:38 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: *BANG* reloads shotgunsblake37 8/27/04 3:44 a.m.
                                                                                                     Thanks for the entertainment :) *NM*Steve Levinson 8/27/04 5:11 a.m.
                                                                                                           we'll be here till thursday! *NM*blake37 8/27/04 5:59 a.m.
                                   CoolAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:03 a.m.
                                         Re: CoolForrest of B.org 8/27/04 8:41 p.m.
                                               Re: CoolAdam Ashwell 8/28/04 1:45 a.m.
                                                     Re: CoolAdam Ashwell 8/28/04 1:55 a.m.
                                                           Re: CoolForrest of B.org 8/28/04 5:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: CoolSimon of team Sigma 8/28/04 3:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: Coolgoran 8/29/04 7:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Coolblake37 8/29/04 8:35 a.m.
                                               Re: Coolblake37 8/28/04 1:54 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.