/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)
Posted By: Adam AshwellDate: 8/24/04 5:14 a.m.

In Response To: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else) (Forrest of B.org)

While in Italy, I thought alot about Eternal.

First of all: There's a map I would like "added" to Chapter 1 whenever I get around to working on Chapter 1 again. I'd like a map centering around the bridge of the Marathon. Now, this will require slight story changes. Pretty much, I want a map between levels 8 and 9. In a story sense, Eternal would probably be better off without this, as its kinda unnecessary. But Eternal is also a scenario. So I'd like to request a tiny change to allow this. Okay, so, the player has deactivated the power distributor on level 8, and you've got to get into Tycho's core. However, there's a rather large problem: You can't get inside. Durandal controls the doors even to Tycho's own core, and he ain't helpin'. However, there is a way to get around this. In case something happened to Durandal rendering him unable to perform his duties, control of certain key areas can be routed from him to Tycho or Leela. This was never really expected to happen, so its not easy to do. There are several locations from which this (and other important things) can be done. However, all but the bridge are currently controlled by the Pfhor. Fortunately, the areas controlled by the Pfhor have been cut off from the command network (the command network is independent of the normal network; even while Engineering is not on the normal network, its still on the command network) from the bridge. So, the Pfhor are pushing to get inside the bridge. A rather confusing series of advances, retreats, attacks, and counter-attacks has left groups of humans and Pfhor scattered around the areas outside the bridge. The Pfhor have seized the lower area of the bridge itself, but the upper area is being held by security. And so, in the middle of this mess, the player is dropped in, to get to the upper bridge and route control of key functions to Tycho. I know this isn't really great in accordance to story, but I think it'd be a cool map. I think a good name for it would be "A Bridge Too Far" (kinda stupid, but I can't think of much better). Also, Hulks would be a good thing for this level (Hulks are trying to smash into the upper bridge). Well, what do you think?

Second of all: Forrest, I think you've misunderstood the criticisms about the textures. The textures themselves are good. It's just that, we need more textures. I don't know if this will be done, or when, but, I think that you should screw the color system, and make more unique textures for each set. Keep what we have. For Set 4, stick with the grey textures and special textures. Add some more colorful details to the grey textures. Then make some more textures. Also, why not use some M1 textures for Set 4 and Set 5? Tim Vogel's got 512x512 M1A1 textures. He's even got 1024x1024, but thats too much, in my opinion (Eternal's 512x512 are slow enough on my computer). Maybe make some modifications to the textures to suit you. If you like my suggestions, then, just do them whenever you feel like it. No hurry. Maybe for Eternal X or something. Overall, your textures rock. Just, we need some more variety. Oh, and, for Set 4 at least, bring back those two hallway textures you had made and had to dump. Those things kicked ass, man.

So, thats my two cents. I dunno if these are practical, or whether or not you'll like them, but its just what's been going through my head.

: Sorry for the OT post but the Marathon.org forums are down and everyone on
: the team reads this forum anyway, so...

: To the Eternal mapmaking team, or anybody else who cares for that matter:
: Since Duff Man appears to have vanished and I don't want to risk him not
: coming back by Mk II's scheduled release (Oct 31), I have begun to work on
: his assigned level, 18, myself. I got the beginnings of the geometry down
: tonight and I'm very pleased with the direction that it is going, but
: Kayla is coming to visit all this upcoming week starting tomorrow so I
: doubt I will get much opportunity to work on it further. I'm guessing
: we're probably just going to miss the date, especially with Adam gone as
: well, but if anybody would like to take a shot at this, what else needs to
: be done is clear. The file so far is here:
: http://eternal.psyjnir.net/files/Maps/Scenario/L18.MyKingdomPfhorAHorse

: One or both of the walkways should lead into the ship, somewhere inside of
: which a chip must be inserted and several switches set to prime the ship
: for takeoff. The crew in that sector must also be killed. There should be
: another terminal to use as the exit terminal.

: Sorry again to everyone this doesn't concern, I just needed to get this
: message to the rest of the team. Thank you.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/23/04 12:52 a.m.
     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)blake37 8/23/04 3:34 p.m.
     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/23/04 5:42 p.m.
           Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)mneub12 8/23/04 5:53 p.m.
                 Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/23/04 6:35 p.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)mneub12 8/24/04 6:42 a.m.
                             Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Andrew Nagy 8/24/04 7:12 a.m.
                                   Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)mneub12 8/24/04 7:58 a.m.
                                         Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Andrew Nagy 8/24/04 9:22 a.m.
                                               Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/24/04 10:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Andrew Nagy 8/24/04 5:00 p.m.
     MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED!!!D-M.A. 8/24/04 12:50 a.m.
           Re: MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED!!!Forrest of B.org 8/24/04 10:33 a.m.
     Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Adam Ashwell 8/24/04 5:14 a.m.
           Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Adam Ashwell 8/24/04 7:02 a.m.
                 Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Steve Levinson 8/24/04 9:36 a.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/24/04 10:44 a.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)a disreputable source 8/24/04 4:57 p.m.
                             Yes!Steve Levinson 8/24/04 7:06 p.m.
                                   Forrest - Here's the dual liquid trickSteve Levinson 8/25/04 3:39 a.m.
                                         Re: Forrest - Here's the dual liquid trickAdam Ashwell 8/25/04 3:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Forrest - Here's the dual liquid trickSteve Levinson 8/25/04 9:07 a.m.
           Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Adam Ashwell 8/25/04 6:18 a.m.
                 Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 4:41 p.m.
                       Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 5:23 p.m.
                             Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Simon of team Sigma 8/26/04 5:53 p.m.
                                   Re: A Message to the Eternal Team (or anyone else)Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 6:25 p.m.
                             Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now online *NM*Forrest of B.org 8/26/04 6:17 p.m.
                                   Forrest, check your email -_- *NM*Simon of team Sigma 8/26/04 6:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:02 a.m.
                                         Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:04 a.m.
                                               Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:09 a.m.
                                                     Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:10 a.m.
                                                           Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:14 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineblake37 8/27/04 3:24 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Revised Set5 shuttles/archives now onlineAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:26 a.m.
                                                                                   *BANG* reloads shotgunsblake37 8/27/04 3:30 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: *BANG* reloads shotgunsAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:38 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: *BANG* reloads shotgunsblake37 8/27/04 3:44 a.m.
                                                                                                     Thanks for the entertainment :) *NM*Steve Levinson 8/27/04 5:11 a.m.
                                                                                                           we'll be here till thursday! *NM*blake37 8/27/04 5:59 a.m.
                                   CoolAdam Ashwell 8/27/04 3:03 a.m.
                                         Re: CoolForrest of B.org 8/27/04 8:41 p.m.
                                               Re: CoolAdam Ashwell 8/28/04 1:45 a.m.
                                                     Re: CoolAdam Ashwell 8/28/04 1:55 a.m.
                                                           Re: CoolForrest of B.org 8/28/04 5:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: CoolSimon of team Sigma 8/28/04 3:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: Coolgoran 8/29/04 7:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: Coolblake37 8/29/04 8:35 a.m.
                                               Re: Coolblake37 8/28/04 1:54 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.