/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Apologies and Grievances
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 8/10/04 4:05 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Apologies and Grievances (Little Kago)

: this is funny: "give me your opinions, but do it within these strict
: parameters. my delicate sensibilities shatter easily."

It really amazes me how nice people are in general on this forum. Little Kago's comments are probably more typical of the most constructive comments you would find on almost any other forum. I think that Forrest would have been told to go f**k himself on nearly any other game forum out there. One of the reasons I keep coming back here is that with the exception of the occasional Neoleptimus post, this group is exceptionally helpful and dedicated. In the spriit of helfpulness of the Story Forum, I think that Little Kago's comments were a bit like pouring salt in an open wound. I have to admit, however, that I agree with all of his comments.

Forrest, I have read every post in the thread that I started. BTW, I appologize for the unfortunate thread title - it seemed clever at the time. What strikes me is that with the exception of your tirade, every single post has been an attempt at being helpful - even those that suggested making major revisions or ripping up parts of maps. No one likes to admit that certain parts of a map suck, but nearly every successful mapmaker has gotten there by doing just that. Just ask Chris, or Scott, or Scott N., or Ian, or FM, or Mark etc. - every one of them will tell you that they have ripped up, thrown out or redone large portions of thier maps. Doing so is not an admission of inferiority - it's an admission that you can do better - that mapmaking is a learning process and it is not in any way, shape or form a race against time. Now please - I'm not saying that you should follow everyone's advice. People have even posted parables about the perils of doing so. Your are truly the only one you have to satisfy. Just try not to take criticism as a personal afront, and try to look at each suggestion as something meant to help you. I am here to help you with your scenario and I will be happy to beta test any map for playability on TC. Although I would much rather test and retest each map individually, your systems of Marks is legitimate, but it probably works to your disadvantage. This is entirely your decision, but be prepared for a lot of complaining and griping since people aren't used to this type of schedule of partial releases.

Forrest - I've been mentoring and teaching for a long time now. I've had students of every ability and makeup. As a student myself, I knew a student who committed suicide - brilliant in high school, he couldn't take the pressure of college. Your sensitivity scares me a bit. Real life is a lot harsher than what has been aired here. I myself am living through a crisis of sorts myself right now - witnessing much of my contributions to the University over the past 5 years being dismantled by a dean who has radically different ideas from my own - I may be making a move in the near future. I'm not a psychiatrist or anything, but if you need someone to talk to, just send me an e-mail and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Steve

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Apologies and GrievancesForrest of B.org 8/10/04 12:03 a.m.
     Re: Apologies and GrievancesLittle Kago 8/10/04 2:44 p.m.
           Re: Apologies and GrievancesSteve Levinson 8/10/04 4:05 p.m.
                 Re: Apologies and GrievancesForrest of B.org 8/10/04 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: Apologies and GrievancesSteve Levinson 8/10/04 4:46 p.m.
                             Re: Apologies and GrievancesForrest of B.org 8/10/04 10:39 p.m.
                                   Re: Apologies and GrievancesD-M.A. 8/11/04 1:11 a.m.
                                         Re: Apologies and GrievancesJohannes Gunnar 8/11/04 3:40 a.m.
                                         Re: Apologies and GrievancesForrest of B.org 8/11/04 10:38 a.m.
                                               Re: Apologies and GrievancesYossarian 8/11/04 11:31 a.m.
                                                     Re: Apologies and GrievancesForrest of B.org 8/11/04 1:05 p.m.
                                               Re: Apologies and GrievancesBlayne 8/12/04 11:15 a.m.
                                                     Re: Apologies and GrievancesAnaphiel 8/12/04 11:46 a.m.
                                                     Re: Apologies and GrievancesForrest of B.org 8/12/04 9:22 p.m.
                                                           Re: Apologies and GrievancesJohannes Gunnar 8/13/04 3:18 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Apologies and GrievancesForrest of B.org 8/13/04 11:48 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Apologies and GrievancesBlayne 8/13/04 1:34 p.m.
                             Re: Apologies and Grievancesgoran 8/11/04 12:11 a.m.
                                   Re: Apologies and Grievancesdeathmonger 8/11/04 6:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Apologies and GrievancesBlayne 8/11/04 10:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Apologies and GrievancesCheerful 8/11/04 2:56 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.