/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Best 3rd pary scenario
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 3/29/04 8:59 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Best 3rd pary scenario (Little Kago)

: well, frigidman's review of rubicon sums up what i think awfully well. i
: really hate to sound like a me-too'er, but i don't know what i can add
: that he didn't say (except maybe some vehement swearing and cursing). no
: flow and no fun makes jack an extremely unhappy gamer. and bad lighting
: and dull textures make him even unhappier.

The muted texture set is more a matter of taste than anything, but the one thing I will give you is the lack of differential shading. Scott and Mark and I have tried repeatedly to convince Chris of the importance of this in the development of Rubicon X. Scott has even gone so far as to show before and after screen shots, but Chris prefers the unshaded ones! He is a gifted mapmaker, but his ideas of perspective are uniquely his own. From my other posts, I think you know that given a good layout versus pleasing visuals where my preferences lie.

: what do i find in TI that i don't find in rubicon? i hate repeating myself,
: but the maps simply have no flow whatsoever. as borzz said on agm,
: "Consider flow like the path of a river - it starts somewhere and
: creates a path to its logical conclussion." - there's hardly any of
: that in rubicon; there, it's more like "splash into a huge lake and
: circulate around erratically and eventually dribble out somehere".

Hmmm . . . TI is certainly a funny scenario to compare to Rubicon in this sense as flow is also a major problem, as was brought out in the Volunteers Series. True, the flow problems are very different, but Rubicon has numerous clues if you look for them, whereas TI often leaves you wandering, looking for that obscure door panel to tab on or poly to trigger that is no where near the door that must be opened. Rubicon's approach is more one of traditional puzzels and nonlinear map layouts. TI is more a matter of go as far as you can go in one direction, then retrace your steps until you find the new door that opened. I for one like logic and I like puzzles - within reason.

: TC difficulty is not "challenging nearly or at the point of frustration
: but still fun" but "idiotically difficult and teeth-grinding,
: keyboard-smashing frustrating".

Huh? You lost me there. Are you saying Rubicon is too difficult on TC or not difficult enough? There are parts of Rubicon that are outrageously difficult on TC, but these are few and far between. Compared to TI2, Rubicon's a snap. Compared to Infinity, it can be a challenge.

: you'd have to be blind to not see the sincere work work people put into it.
: there are some clever tricks here and there, but i believe the rubicon
: team placed style and design priority way, waaayyyy over playability and
: enjoyability (or functionality - a clear example of where their priority
: lies would be those pathetic "maps" given in the walkthrough
: guide in the original install). i just do not believe it is the sum of its
: parts, not by a long shot.

Frankly, while I agree that there was a high priority placed on the "polish" of Rubicon, I think that playability is its strength. That, and the story. I guess we just have different styles of gameplay.

: of course pfh'joueur isn't the only one to do that - even plenty of modern
: fps games do that. but it's probably most tedious of any non-combat intro
: level i have ever played in any fps game. it seems also to be specifically
: designed to bore the player to tears. but allllright...i'll give it
: another go.

Boring? I guess it's no fun if you don't have something to shoot or something shooting at you. Next time, try shooting some of the bobs - that will liven things up a bit. Personally, I think that there's just so much eye candy here and there are so many places to explore that it's nice to have a level where all you need to do is explore. Do be patient - there's a lot here to like - at least by my tastes.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Best 3rd pary scenarioMneub12 3/26/04 6:00 a.m.
     Re: Best 3rd pary scenariothe Battle Cat 3/26/04 6:31 a.m.
           Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioSteve Levinson 3/26/04 8:05 a.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioMneub12 3/26/04 8:16 a.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioSteve Levinson 3/26/04 8:34 a.m.
                             Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioBoomer 3/26/04 8:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioSteve Levinson 3/26/04 10:02 a.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioAdam Ashwell 3/26/04 11:39 a.m.
                                               Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioElliott 3/26/04 1:46 p.m.
                                                     Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 3/27/04 9:55 a.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioAdam Ashwell 3/27/04 10:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 3/27/04 10:43 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioBoomer 3/28/04 2:09 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioAdam Ashwell 3/28/04 4:51 p.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioElliott 3/27/04 11:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd pary scenariothe Battle Cat 3/28/04 7:38 a.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 3/27/04 10:52 a.m.
                 Marathon: Dissentrampancy 4/6/04 9:41 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon: DissentSteve Levinson 4/6/04 10:09 a.m.
     Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioLittle Kago 3/28/04 1:46 p.m.
           Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioElliott 3/28/04 7:10 p.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd pary scenariothe Battle Cat 3/29/04 6:10 a.m.
           Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioSteve Levinson 3/28/04 8:58 p.m.
                 Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioLittle Kago 3/29/04 8:28 a.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioSteve Levinson 3/29/04 8:59 a.m.
                             Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioAdam Ashwell 3/29/04 12:51 p.m.
                       Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioC Lund 3/31/04 11:51 p.m.
                             Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 4/1/04 12:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioSteve Levinson 4/1/04 1:05 p.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 4/1/04 9:21 p.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioSimon 4/1/04 1:15 p.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 4/1/04 9:33 p.m.
                                               Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioC Lund 4/1/04 10:49 p.m.
                                                     Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 4/2/04 10:18 a.m.
                                                           Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioC Lund 4/2/04 10:58 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 4/2/04 11:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioC Lund 4/2/04 11:43 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioYossarian 4/2/04 11:54 a.m.
                                                                       Rubicon TexturesAnaphiel 4/2/04 1:31 p.m.
                                   Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioC Lund 4/1/04 10:37 p.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd pary scenarioYossarian 4/1/04 11:31 p.m.
                                         Re: Best 3rd pary scenariogoran 4/2/04 11:02 a.m.
                                               Out of curiosity . . .Steve Levinson 4/3/04 4:18 p.m.
                                                     Re: Out of curiosity . . .C Lund 4/3/04 8:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: Out of curiosity . . .C Lund 4/4/04 4:15 a.m.
                                                                 excuse? my ass. This is fun.goran 4/4/04 8:10 a.m.
                                                                       Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.D-M.A. 4/4/04 9:02 a.m.
                                                                             Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.goran 4/4/04 11:24 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.D-M.A. 4/4/04 11:46 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.goran 4/4/04 2:16 p.m.
                                                                             Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.C Lund 4/5/04 2:28 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.D-M.A. 4/5/04 7:38 a.m.
                                                                       Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.C Lund 4/5/04 2:25 a.m.
                                                                             Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.goran 4/5/04 8:16 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.Elliott 4/5/04 8:49 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.goran 4/5/04 11:04 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.Yossarian 4/5/04 11:35 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.goran 4/5/04 3:57 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.Elliott 4/5/04 3:25 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.goran 4/5/04 3:35 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.Jacke 4/6/04 2:10 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: excuse? my ass. This is fun.C Lund 4/6/04 12:03 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Out of curiosity . . .Steve Levinson 4/4/04 5:14 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Out of curiosity . . .Elliott 4/4/04 9:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Out of curiosity . . .C Lund 4/5/04 2:30 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Out of curiosity . . .Steve Levinson 4/7/04 6:35 a.m.
                                                     Re: Out of curiosity . . .goran 4/4/04 8:13 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.