/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: my big rubicon confession
Posted By: the Battle CatDate: 2/2/04 11:08 a.m.

In Response To: Re: my big rubicon confession (Steve Levinson)

: Although I have no reason to doubt him, it must be kept in mind that Scott
: Brown may have been biased when he posted this response to the
: aforementioned thread. If there is any truth at all to what Scott said,
: however, it paits a picture of FM being a very self-serving, vengeful
: individual. This doesn't mean that he didn't have reason to complain about
: elements of Rubicon, but I can think of no example of poor flow in Rubicon
: that doesn't have an equally bad or worse counterpart in Evil. Indeed,
: Evil is filled with entire areas of its maps that serve absolutely no
: purpose other than as places for the player to explore and waste ammo.
: Taken in context and in light of his prior arrogance, I have to conclude
: that FM's motives were anything but pure.

Now don't get me wrong, I freely admit that I cannot know what was in those two guys minds when this was going on. But I can give you an unbiased 3rd party perspective of what I saw going on as I was there at the time. To give you this, I will respond to Scotts post that you linked to so that it may clear up some confusion. (In the interest of full disclosure, I am a staff member at Fileball):

[Scott] There's actually a longer story behind Rubicon's "panning" from Frigidman-

[tBC] This is pure speculation, Scott can't read Fm's mind, besides he speculates based on partially faulty data as explained below. Not to say Scott doesn't honesty believe this.

[Scott] FM spent a bunch of money starting up the Evichra network, and designing and coding the thing. He wanted to make a download network for mac and PC mods, and cash in by selling banner ads. To publicize his project, he asked me if I would be willing to have Rubicon's release date on the same day as the marathon Arkive's opening, and to make them our exclusive download spot. Basically, he wanted to pump up his own site using the large press & public interest in Rubicon.

[tBC] Fm spent nothing starting up the network, designing it and coding it. He kept track of his hours so he would have an idea of how much to charge clients to create a similar network for them (this had nothing to do with any costs of Fileball). Bandwidth was what was costing Fileball money, bandwidth Fileball was willing to spend on Rubicon. Fm did want to cash in on Banner ads to pay for the bandwidth, no question about that. I was a part of the PR for the Lh'owon Ar'kives so I can say definitively that Fileball wanted to coincide the release of Rubicon with the opening of the Lh'owon Ar'kives (Fileball itself had been open for a long time and didn't need pumping, this event was for the Ar'kives). Fileball wanted to use the occasion to pimp the Ar'kives AND Rubicon. Fileball wanted a 2 week exclusive for downloads in trade for using Fileball resources to pimp Rubicon to the high heavens. This part was totally glossed over by Scott, Fileball wanted to help Rubicon first and then get the "trickle down" business generated from it. It was like a business deal. I was in on that part, I was the PR guy. At first Rubicon agreed to this plan and then at the last minute they reneged.

[Scott] I told him that Evichra was welcome to mirror our game, but I wouldn't tie the two together. He got offended because Evichra was "his baby" and I essentially put it on even ground with our other mirrors.

[tBC] This was mind reading. Yes, AFTER Scott reneged on the deal he still wanted Fileball to mirror the scenario... which Fileball did (there is a whole section devoted to Rubicon at Fileball). Afterwards, in ensuing conversations, it sounded to me like Fm was very disappointed and angry and it is my observation that he felt this way because he believed he was screwed around by Rubicon.

[Scott] He responded like a child. End of story.

[tBC] I can't criticize a man's opinion.

End of Scott's post.

OK, here comes my 2 cents. It appeared to me to be a deal that went sour at the last moment leaving behind sour grapes with both parties. I like Fm. I like Scott. Chris and I used to have a lot of fun doing Marathon science experiments at alt.games.marathon. Here is what I think happened, it was just a giant MISUNDERSTANDING of what was expected of the other guy. It's a crying shame that so much acrimony seems to have come from it.

Now as far as Fm "trashing" Rubicon in a review because of what happened with the release of Rubicon is anybodies guess. I can't profess to know what is in any man's mind but I can tell you this with certainty, Fm is an abrupt, honest man who will tell you EXACTLY what he thinks and how he feels with no punches pulled and no quarter expected. You almost never have to guess what he is getting at or means by something. He is the definition of "guileless". In my experience, if he didn't mention the Rubicon release mess, it didn't play that much at all into writing his review or he would have blasted them for it in the review. You never have to guess where you stand with him, and I like that. I get burned sometimes but I appreciate his punch-in-the-face honesty.

More 2 cents worth here: I don't think Fm trashed the review. It pretty much reflects my experience playing the map although I wouldn't be so harsh in stating my opinions in a review. He gave it glowing kudos in some parts and kicked some other parts in the balls. It was classic Frigidman.

So to sum this monster post up, the whole Fileball/Rubicon fiasco was in my first-hand-observers opinion a huge misunderstanding on both sides. Also, I have learned this one at great cost: "Never let a person's enemies be the voice that defines him." I apologize that this post was so long, I just hope some healing can come from it.

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 1/30/04 11:36 a.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/30/04 1:04 p.m.
                 Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 1:46 p.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Johannes Gunnar 1/30/04 2:11 p.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 7:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 7:36 p.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?the Battle Cat 1/31/04 6:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/31/04 6:32 a.m.
                                         Re: Who is your favorite map maker?the Battle Cat 2/1/04 6:59 a.m.
                             Praise?! :OoogaBooga 2/3/04 11:09 a.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/31/04 7:09 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/31/04 7:21 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/31/04 8:49 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?goran 1/31/04 11:17 a.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 1/31/04 1:47 p.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/31/04 6:42 p.m.
                                         my big rubicon confessiongoran 2/1/04 12:02 p.m.
                                               Re: my big rubicon confessiongoran 2/1/04 12:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/1/04 3:22 p.m.
                                                           Re: my big rubicon confessionAdam Ashwell 2/1/04 3:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: my big rubicon confessiongoran 2/2/04 1:08 a.m.
                                                                       FM's reviewgoran 2/2/04 1:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: FM's reviewD-M.A. 2/2/04 3:01 a.m.
                                                                             Re: FM's reviewYossarian 2/2/04 5:04 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: FM's reviewSteve Levinson 2/2/04 5:25 a.m.
                                                                             Re: FM's reviewoogaBooga 2/3/04 11:23 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: FM's reviewSteve Levinson 2/3/04 1:10 p.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/2/04 5:23 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionElliott 2/2/04 9:41 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionthe Battle Cat 2/2/04 11:08 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/2/04 3:00 p.m.
                                                                                         That sounds like a plan! =) *NM*the Battle Cat 2/3/04 7:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionAdam Ashwell 2/2/04 11:30 a.m.
                                                           Re: my big rubicon confessionthe Battle Cat 2/2/04 9:35 a.m.
                                                                 Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/2/04 11:02 a.m.
                                                                 Re: my big rubicon confessionC Lund 2/3/04 1:03 a.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/3/04 5:20 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionDr. John Sumner 2/3/04 9:25 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/3/04 11:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionC Lund 2/3/04 2:50 p.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionthe Battle Cat 2/3/04 7:46 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionC Lund 2/3/04 2:55 p.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Vid Boi 1/31/04 4:34 a.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 1/31/04 7:56 a.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?deathmonger 2/2/04 7:23 a.m.
           Re: Who is your favorite map maker?deathmonger 2/2/04 7:32 a.m.
                 Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 2/2/04 9:20 a.m.
                 Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 2/2/04 9:37 a.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 2/2/04 9:59 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?D-M.A. 2/3/04 12:52 a.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 2/3/04 8:16 a.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?deathmonger 2/2/04 11:25 a.m.
           Re: Who is your favorite map maker?the Battle Cat 2/3/04 8:03 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.