/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: FM's review
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 2/3/04 1:10 p.m.

In Response To: Re: FM's review (oogaBooga)

: Personally I found rubicon to be one of the most
: rewarding, challenging scenarios i've ever played. Harder than RED. Yep, I
: said harder than RED. Reason being? F#CKING MASER BOBS/NEW ENFORCERS!!!!
: YAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH!!!!

Interesting comment. I have always been baffled by those who place Rubicon in the league of hard scenarios when I managed to get through it on TC so handily. I'm no vidmaster, although I obviously have become quite skilled over the years. I think that the key point is that every monster has its vulnerability and learning what these are and how to exploit them is a big part of the game. We all know the vulnerabilities of the original Marathon monsters and most of us can take down single hunters and S'Pht with our fists. Rubicon's fighters and troopers are actually easier to kill as they won't fire back when being hit. The maser bobs and enforcers are definitely a challenge.

In the case of the former, you can outrun them, but the best way to take them out is to sneak up on them and to fire just about anything at them. They are incredibly vulnerable, so even the magnum is effective. When there are multiple maser bobs, just firing a grenade is often sufficient to take them both out, although you will miss being able to collect their weapons. In the case of the new enforcers, those guided bolts are definitely a killer. It is very difficult, although not impossible to outrun them, but eventually the enforcers will get you. They are very readiy stoped by dual magnums or a spray of bullets, so I find the best approach to be to sneak up on them and fire before they have a chance. Dual shotguns won't work with them - you'll always take damage. If you're interested, the way I approached the denizens of enforcers in Hell Pfhor You was to use rockets. This sacrificed picking up their weapons (something John Sumner would not approve of), but it made it fairly straight-forward.

I suppose the problem I have with RED is that I haven't figured out the monsters' vulnerabilities, yet. Unfortunately, the player is so thoroughly ambushed in the first real level that it's hard to get to square one.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 1/30/04 11:36 a.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/30/04 1:04 p.m.
                 Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 1:46 p.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Johannes Gunnar 1/30/04 2:11 p.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 7:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/30/04 7:36 p.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?the Battle Cat 1/31/04 6:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/31/04 6:32 a.m.
                                         Re: Who is your favorite map maker?the Battle Cat 2/1/04 6:59 a.m.
                             Praise?! :OoogaBooga 2/3/04 11:09 a.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/31/04 7:09 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Adam Ashwell 1/31/04 7:21 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/31/04 8:49 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?goran 1/31/04 11:17 a.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 1/31/04 1:47 p.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 1/31/04 6:42 p.m.
                                         my big rubicon confessiongoran 2/1/04 12:02 p.m.
                                               Re: my big rubicon confessiongoran 2/1/04 12:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/1/04 3:22 p.m.
                                                           Re: my big rubicon confessionAdam Ashwell 2/1/04 3:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: my big rubicon confessiongoran 2/2/04 1:08 a.m.
                                                                       FM's reviewgoran 2/2/04 1:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: FM's reviewD-M.A. 2/2/04 3:01 a.m.
                                                                             Re: FM's reviewYossarian 2/2/04 5:04 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: FM's reviewSteve Levinson 2/2/04 5:25 a.m.
                                                                             Re: FM's reviewoogaBooga 2/3/04 11:23 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: FM's reviewSteve Levinson 2/3/04 1:10 p.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/2/04 5:23 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionElliott 2/2/04 9:41 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionthe Battle Cat 2/2/04 11:08 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/2/04 3:00 p.m.
                                                                                         That sounds like a plan! =) *NM*the Battle Cat 2/3/04 7:06 a.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionAdam Ashwell 2/2/04 11:30 a.m.
                                                           Re: my big rubicon confessionthe Battle Cat 2/2/04 9:35 a.m.
                                                                 Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/2/04 11:02 a.m.
                                                                 Re: my big rubicon confessionC Lund 2/3/04 1:03 a.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/3/04 5:20 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionDr. John Sumner 2/3/04 9:25 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: my big rubicon confessionSteve Levinson 2/3/04 11:04 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionC Lund 2/3/04 2:50 p.m.
                                                                       Re: my big rubicon confessionthe Battle Cat 2/3/04 7:46 a.m.
                                                                             Re: my big rubicon confessionC Lund 2/3/04 2:55 p.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Vid Boi 1/31/04 4:34 a.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 1/31/04 7:56 a.m.
     Re: Who is your favorite map maker?deathmonger 2/2/04 7:23 a.m.
           Re: Who is your favorite map maker?deathmonger 2/2/04 7:32 a.m.
                 Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 2/2/04 9:20 a.m.
                 Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Steve Levinson 2/2/04 9:37 a.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 2/2/04 9:59 a.m.
                             Re: Who is your favorite map maker?D-M.A. 2/3/04 12:52 a.m.
                                   Re: Who is your favorite map maker?Elliott 2/3/04 8:16 a.m.
                       Re: Who is your favorite map maker?deathmonger 2/2/04 11:25 a.m.
           Re: Who is your favorite map maker?the Battle Cat 2/3/04 8:03 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.