Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Serina was just a Shipboard AI
Posted By: Bry <bmulheran@gmail.com>Date: 8/8/09 3:39 a.m.

In Response To: Serina was just a Shipboard AI (Karagara)

: The books have made it canon that "Dumb" AI still have unique
: personalities and can pass for a sentient being.
: They are , more or less, sentient anyway.
: Kind of like a self aware robot following Asimov's Three Laws.

: Smart AIs were created by using brain scans and stuff like that, like how
: Cortana sprung from Halsey's brain.
: They're just a copy of a person. True Sentience.
: They become rampant because they, really being a Human in another form, end
: up not being able to cope with not having a physical body, and the
: memories of their creator.
: Cortana has been shown to have Halsey's memories.

: Like Wellsley in The Flood, Serina is just an AI built for a specific
: purpose.

: It is very likely she survived 22 years.

You are forgetting Sif. She was only a space station bound AI, yet was very definitely a smart AI, and Sif comes straight to us from Joe Staten.

There are official Halo Wars sources that, by your own definition, make Serina is a smart AI.

: Cortana has been shown to have Halsey's memories.

Serena has also been shown to have memories from her life as a human.
From the bio section of the official guide:

Serina could see that Hershey wasn't about to let this drop. "Well, I do try to remember what chocolate tastes like... I've actually tried to simulate the approximate chemical response within my neural network and so far have not met with any success."

Hershey was puzzled. "When have you ever tasted chocolate, Serina?"

"Lulu, don't you know anything about AIs?"

Hershey had only ever seen one other AI on a school tour of the planetary weather centre. It was a lot simpler than Serina and much more function over personality.
"You're computers. Advanced, but still a computer. Right?"

Serina looked aghast. "I am NOT a computer! I just happen to live in one. My core neural network is actually cloned from a human."

Hershey was shocked. "No way!!! That's gross!"

"My network has been allowed to expand, and I am no longer that human, but I share many of her core memories."

"What do you remember... I mean, from before?"

"The identity of the human I am cloned from is unknown to me. I do remember food, the smell of flowers, the feeling of grass on my feet, and a lot of little moments..." Serina flickered and her hue changed again, this time slightly reddish. "Lulu, can you keep a secret?"

Hershey was intrigued. "Well, sure, sweetie! I'm all ears!"

"I kissed a boy once."

Hershey laughed. "Well shocker! So did I! That's not a secret!"

"I run simulations about it. Detailed simulations..."

Hershey pushed back off the station and giggled out loud. Of all the people on this ship, she never
thought the AI would be the one she would gossip with.
"Serina, darling, you just made my day!"

Serina looked hard at Hershey. "You tell anyone and I can unmake that day pretty darn quick."

Message Index

Replies:

Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?nomis78 3/8/09 7:51 p.m.
     Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?CaptainTony 3/8/09 8:03 p.m.
           Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?Neloms 3/8/09 8:15 p.m.
                 I *NM*SonofMacPhisto 3/8/09 8:38 p.m.
                       Oops. I mean, I *love* that thread. :D *NM*SonofMacPhisto 3/8/09 8:39 p.m.
                 Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?nomis78 3/8/09 10:50 p.m.
                       Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?Neloms 3/8/09 10:54 p.m.
                             Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 3/9/09 7:06 a.m.
                                   Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?gspawn 3/9/09 4:02 p.m.
                       Correct me if I'm wrong...7he grunt w/a plasma pistol 3/8/09 10:58 p.m.
                             Re: Correct me if I'm wrong...nomis78 3/8/09 11:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Correct me if I'm wrong...Ragashingo 3/9/09 2:00 a.m.
                                         Re: Correct me if I'm wrong...Vincent 3/9/09 3:27 a.m.
                                               Serina was just a Shipboard AIKaragara 8/7/09 9:05 p.m.
                                                     Re: Serina was just a Shipboard AIBry 8/8/09 3:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: Serina was just a Shipboard AISonofMacPhisto 8/9/09 9:26 a.m.
     Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?sharpsniper99 3/9/09 4:20 a.m.
           Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?nomis78 3/9/09 7:36 a.m.
                 Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?sharpsniper99 3/9/09 2:39 p.m.
                       Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?nomis78 3/10/09 1:44 a.m.
                             Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?Grimlock 3/10/09 6:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Frankie, Serina, Chief, Cutter, clues?Rigal 3/14/09 6:24 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.