Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behi
Posted By: EkimDate: 4/8/05 7:39 p.m.

In Response To: Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behi (ICDedPpl)

:"Soon the Great Journey shall begin. But when it does, the weight of your heresy will stay your feet and you shall be left behind."

: Does this mean that the Prophets plan on inviting humanity along for the
: Great Journey? Yes and no. I think it's been fairly clearly established
: that Truth (and probably Mercy) didn't really believe in the Covenant
: religion, and have some plans of their own (Truth lets Mercy die because
: he knows too much, or something to that effect [Regret's demise could also
: have occurred under similar sentiments]). The Prophets absolutely despise
: humanity (for reasons unknown except to themselves) and would not be
: interested in letting them into "the Divine Beyond". The
: Prophets know what the Halos do and are willing to use them to get rid of
: humanity."

First of all, humans were never regarded as higher than angels. The Bible calls us "a little lower than the angels" (psalms 8:5). Perhaps the real motive is made clearer in this section of "The Flood";

"Like all members of his cast, 'Fulsamee knew that the Prophets had evolved on a planet which the mysterious truth givers had previously inhabited, and then, for reasons known only to the ancients themselves, subsequently abandoned. This ring world was an excellent example of the ancients' power and inscrutability."(p6).

Here we see that the prophets grew up with the Forunner, getting to know them very well. What if they never changed their species' name, prophets? A prophet is "a person who speaks by divine inspiration or as the interpreter through whom the will of a god is expressed." or "A person gifted with profound moral insight and exceptional powers of expression."(dictionary.com). So perhaps they at one time prophesized. But to whom? Maybe to humans? Maybe at one time the Forunner used the prophets to speak to the humans, deal with them, interact with them, and lead them. But then something happened that caused the Forunner to favor the humans over the prophets. Maybe humans started abandoning religion and started looking into the scientific and found they had an aptitude for it. On many occasions in the books, it says humans are adaptive and covenant are immatative. The forunner probably decided to make humans the overseers/protectors of the Halos. That's why the halo's have earth gravity/atmosphere. Thats why only humans are regarded as reclaimers and are the only ones able to activate the rings. I think that the prophets were percieved as dangerous for this job. The reasoning is most clearly seen in the "Inside Job" cutscene where MC, The Arbiter, 2401 PT and The Prophet of Regret are all talking with Gravemind. The difference of thought process/understanding between 2401 and Regret I think captures the Forunner's hesitance to appoint the Prophets as the guardians.

"[regret]Of all the objects our Lord left behind, there are none so worthless as these Oracles! They know nothing of the Great Journey!" "[2401]And you know nothing about containment! You have demonstrated complete disregard for even the most basic protocols!"

Further, in Halo 1, 343 said as you played through the Library "I would conjecture that the other species currently on the installation is responsible for releasing the Flood. They seem most persistant in their attempts to access restricted areas."

So the prophets really suck at doing a good job simply because they are too inquisitive and because they just dont understand anything beyond religous mindset.

So long story short: Forunners come along, decide to make prophets the honorary place as the middle man between the forunner and humans. Humans grow up, forunner develop/discover the Flood virus and decide to study it, they build the halos and appoint humans rather than prophets to keep them. Prophets get mad because they thought they were superior to humans and maybe they release the Flood on purpous? The forunner have to think quickly and put the humans on earth to survive. AAAnd the prophets get even madder because the forunner didn't make them an ark to survive (at least there isnt any reference to it). Proof that there is a grudge between prophets and humans can be seen in the fact that they never gave humanity a chance to become part of the covenant, they simply declared war and killed as many as they could, without an option to surrender.

Also, on a side note, the next quote 343 says after "I would conjecture...", is "Why naturally the Flood is simply too dangerous to release, and mass sterilization protocols may again need to be enacted. Of course, samples were kept here after the last catastrophic outbreak...for study. It seems... that decision may have been an error."

The fact that they kept samples for study implies that they (the forunner or humans, whoever made the decision) knew that they would come back. Maybe some forunner survived? but then, where are they? Or maybe what happened is that there was an outbreak and humans fired the ring without waiting for the forunner to get to safety. This would explain why our existance is "an afront to the gods" and why the 'weight of our heresy' will keep us from going on the great journey.

speculate away

Message Index

Replies:

...and this time none of you will be left behindWado SG 4/7/05 6:50 p.m.
     Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Reebo!!!? 4/7/05 7:29 p.m.
           Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Echoes 4/7/05 7:35 p.m.
                 Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Reebo!!!? 4/7/05 7:53 p.m.
                       Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Echoes 4/7/05 7:57 p.m.
                       I hate it when people write in all capitals.Pha7e 4/7/05 8:35 p.m.
                             Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.Reebo!!!? 4/7/05 8:45 p.m.
                                   Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.mrbananas 4/7/05 9:45 p.m.
                                         Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.scorpionxx7 4/15/05 3:34 p.m.
                                               Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.Cambion 4/15/05 3:45 p.m.
                                               Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.mrbananas 4/18/05 6:51 p.m.
                                   I also hate it when people don't capitalize thingsPha7e 4/7/05 10:39 p.m.
                                         Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thReebo!!!? 4/7/05 11:45 p.m.
                                               Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thPha7e 4/7/05 11:59 p.m.
                                                     Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thReebo!!!? 4/8/05 12:13 a.m.
                                                           Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thPha7e 4/8/05 12:47 a.m.
                                                     Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thICDedPpl 4/8/05 11:06 p.m.
                             Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.suave 4/10/05 1:35 p.m.
                                   I hate it when people have elitist attitudesFuzzyWhisper 4/28/05 1:36 a.m.
                 Nephilim had six fingersWado SG 4/8/05 2:32 a.m.
                       Re: Nephilim had six fingersOwm 4/8/05 3:48 a.m.
                       Remember what Bungie asked?Mortalis Deus 4/8/05 4:15 a.m.
                             Re: Remember what Bungie asked?Zak Anderson 4/8/05 4:49 a.m.
                                   Invalidating my theory...Wado SG 4/9/05 4:12 a.m.
                                         Re: Invalidating my theory...longWriter 4/18/05 6:11 p.m.
                                               Re: Invalidating my theory...suave 4/18/05 6:22 p.m.
                                               Re: Invalidating my theory...Wado SG 4/18/05 6:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Invalidating my theory...Zak Anderson 4/19/05 3:21 a.m.
                                                     ...Louis Wu 4/19/05 8:51 a.m.
                                                           this post is right onMiguel Chavez 4/19/05 9:36 a.m.
                                                                 I think...Louis Wu 4/19/05 9:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I think...Wado SG 4/19/05 12:06 p.m.
                                                                             Territories, of course. *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/19/05 12:31 p.m.
                                                                 POST OF THE DAY! *NM*XLNC 4/19/05 2:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: Invalidating my theory...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/19/05 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: Nephilim had six fingersSilky Red 4/9/05 11:23 p.m.
           Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!longWriter 4/18/05 6:41 p.m.
                 Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!UrsusArctos 4/18/05 7:37 p.m.
     Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiICDedPpl 4/8/05 1:05 p.m.
           Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiEkim 4/8/05 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiAdam Downes 4/12/05 6:08 a.m.
     Re: Future, maybe humans lose?Dominic Moberly 4/10/05 2:05 p.m.
           Re: Future, maybe humans lose?Guilty Spark 4/10/05 2:09 p.m.
                 putting my two cents inDirge 4/12/05 6:37 p.m.
                       Comments upon blood colourEarthScorpion 4/15/05 12:40 p.m.
                             Re: Comments upon blood colourscorpionxx7 4/15/05 3:24 p.m.
                             *Camels and lamas comes to mind. *NM*Dundre 4/16/05 8:12 a.m.
     The Great Journey117 Reclaiming Factor 4/16/05 1:31 a.m.
           Re: The Great Journeytrojanman42 4/16/05 1:45 a.m.
           Re: The Great JourneyPeptuck 4/16/05 7:51 a.m.
     Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiphoenix927 4/16/05 12:14 p.m.
     Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiajenteks 4/20/05 5:58 p.m.
           Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiShadowsniper689 4/20/05 6:21 p.m.
     My old post about "100,000 years war"replay 4/27/05 3:23 a.m.
           Re: My old post about "100,000 years war"Jamirus99 4/27/05 5:13 a.m.
                 Re: My old post about "100,000 years war"mrbananas 4/27/05 7:31 a.m.
     On to somethingFlawed Legacy 4/28/05 9:30 p.m.
           Am *I* On to something?!Likada 'Banshee 4/29/05 2:16 p.m.
                 Re: Am *I* On to something?!AlfaSub 4/29/05 11:33 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.