Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Secrecy=good, Hype=bad
Posted By: Scanner Darkly <scnrdrkly@gmail.com>Date: 12/10/04 9:32 a.m.

In Response To: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. *SP* (Sep7imus [subnova])

Personally, upon playing the game, I thought that Bungie's philosophy (or marketing scheme, whatever) of keeping the game's plot a secret was justified. Before release I was pretty annoyed by Bungie's silence about the campaign, but upon playing I was grateful for it.

I remember watching that cinematic before the gas giant mission, and thinking to myself, 'I wonder...', and then letting out a delighted 'woot!' when I looked down on my hooves. I was likewise satisfied by the introduction of Gravemind, High Charity and other "secrets".

But that's just me.

The feelings of betrayal caused by the Earth centric advertising campaign are another matter. I suppose that the duality aspect could have been spinned to a successful marketing campaign, but in these troubled times a clear, singular message of civilization under attack is sure to evoke a strong emotional response. Stronger than the idea of getting to know the "other".

So the secrecy imposed by Bungie lead to the only possible direction that the marketing could take, and with the immense amount of hype lead people astray in their expectations. Bungie did drop hints of surprises and such, but the message was drowned out in the noise.

Liez? I suppose that I could feel betrayed, but thankfully I was able to enjoy the _game_, not the image formed in my head by advertising and my own expectations. H2 did provide me with the most intense three days of gaming since, well, H1. I would have to find time to play it again to form a better opinion of the sequel's merits and flaws, but even though it may have not met its potential, I got my money's worth. Perhaps the story, being fresh and unknown to me, played part in my enjoyment.

So a more truthful marketing campaign (surely an oxymoron?) could have saved Bungie from (some of the) complaints, but at least my enjoyment would have been diminished -and that's all that matters to me. In conclusion: secrecy=good, hype=bad.

Message Index

Replies:

The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. *SP*Sep7imus [subnova] 12/10/04 8:06 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Vorpal Sword 12/10/04 8:36 a.m.
     Hmm...Ducain 12/10/04 8:54 a.m.
           Agreed *NM*Andrew Nagy 12/10/04 9:42 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Warbow 12/10/04 9:00 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Captain Spark 12/10/04 9:08 a.m.
     I agree *long*Epyon 12/10/04 9:11 a.m.
           Re: I agree *long*Zaknafein 12/10/04 11:57 a.m.
                 Re: I agree *long*Sep7imus [subnova] 12/10/04 12:22 p.m.
           Re: I agree *long*Hikaru-119 12/10/04 12:16 p.m.
                 Re: I agree *long*Epyon 12/10/04 2:49 p.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Ma1agate 12/10/04 9:27 a.m.
     Secrecy=good, Hype=badScanner Darkly 12/10/04 9:32 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Ross Mills [subnova] 12/10/04 9:37 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.madcowjim 12/10/04 9:50 a.m.
           Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Lakhesis 12/10/04 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Sep7imus [subnova] 12/10/04 1:54 p.m.
                       Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Lakhesis 12/10/04 3:35 p.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Clefton Twain 12/10/04 11:07 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Eric 12/10/04 3:51 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.