/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: And as a brief followup...
Posted By: JorgeDate: 2/23/05 9:49 a.m.

In Response To: And as a brief followup... (Anaphiel)

: ... I think the best evidence that the tools are becoming too complex for the
: masses is to look at the mod communities that sprang up around
: Doom/Quake/Quake3, Half Life, UT and Marathon and to compare it to the
: state of the Doom3, HL2, and Halo modding scenes.

: There have been a scant handful of decent Doom 3 mods (mods that go beyond
: hacking physics or simple solo maps), I don't have a single fan-made HL2
: mod, HaloCE never took off at all... there are a few big teams working on
: a few big mods, but there isn't the explosion of small projects that the
: previou generation of games spawned. There are a lot of fan-made UT2k4
: maps being made, but how many "Marathon Resurrection" - style
: total conversions?

: The only "modern" games I can think of that seems to have the same
: sort of rabid mod scene are games like Morrowind and NeverWinter Nights.
: Not surprisingly, both games ship with amazingly easy-to-use editors, and
: both have huge libraries of reusable content, and both have spawned fan
: add-ons that rival the quality of the original games (not that hard to do
: with NWN IMO).

I couldn't agree with you more Jay. I myself have been bit in the arse trying to keep up with the tools and technology. Back in the day that I was webmastering the biggest Mac UT site on the planet, I was churning out some pretty good content...

http://osx.beyondunreal.com/eko/

With UT2K3 and UT2K4 (not to mention the birth of my son has also eaten into my free time like a rabid pirahna), the complexity of creation has gotten to the point where I have simply dropped out. It was one thing to muster the skills to use UnrealEd to create some fun simple maps and/or simple mods and mutators, it is another thing altogether to have to learn how to use Maya or 3dsMax, a new much more complex UnrealEd, etc. etc. etc. to create a good looking map. In essence, I have been "shut out" by the learning curve. My skills simply don't cut it anymore.

That being said, there is now another group of very talented folks who trudge on with the hope that this may be their ticket to breaking into the game industry... so for them, it IS worth it to spend all this time learning tools, etc. etc. And there are some very fine ones indeed, like, for example, Alien Swarm ( http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/ ). Quite a wonderful mod done with a first person shooter engine, eh? :-)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I get jealous when I see other...Nicholai 2/22/05 8:41 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...Forrest of B.org 2/22/05 9:32 p.m.
           Re: I get jealous when I see other...TwelveMotion 2/23/05 1:25 a.m.
                 Re: I get jealous when I see other...Jorge 2/23/05 5:43 a.m.
                       I've said it before and I'll say it again...Anaphiel 2/23/05 6:40 a.m.
                             And as a brief followup...Anaphiel 2/23/05 6:49 a.m.
                                   Re: And as a brief followup...Jorge 2/23/05 9:49 a.m.
                                   Re: And as a brief followup...Little Kago 2/23/05 1:18 p.m.
                                         Re: And as a brief followup...Anaphiel 2/23/05 2:03 p.m.
                                               Re: And as a brief followup...luke9 2/23/05 6:02 p.m.
                             Re: I've said it before and I'll say it again...Malakite 2/23/05 2:50 p.m.
     You get what you pay forSteve Levinson 2/23/05 5:06 a.m.
           Re: You get what you pay forTyler 2/23/05 2:34 p.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestNicholai 2/23/05 6:45 p.m.
                       Re: Sorry about the spelling and grammar mistakes *NM*Nicholai 2/23/05 6:52 p.m.
                       Re: You get what you pay for, Forrestrampancy 2/23/05 7:06 p.m.
                             Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestForrest of B.org 2/23/05 8:20 p.m.
                                   Re: You get what you pay for, Forrestrampancy 2/24/05 2:58 a.m.
                             Re: You get what you pay for, ForrestNicholai 2/23/05 8:29 p.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay forrampancy 2/23/05 7:11 p.m.
                       Re: You get what you pay forJorge 2/24/05 5:13 a.m.
                             Just tell me, why don't improve?Nicholai 2/24/05 12:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Just tell me, why don't improve?Forrest of B.org 2/24/05 12:54 p.m.
                                         You win this discution...Nicholai 2/24/05 1:03 p.m.
                                               Re: You win this discution...Jorge 2/24/05 4:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: You win this discution...Nicholai 2/24/05 4:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: You win this discution...Forrest of B.org 2/24/05 5:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: You win this discution...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 2/24/05 5:05 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...Adam Ashwell 2/24/05 5:43 p.m.
                                                                             back to topicukimalefu 2/24/05 6:29 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: back to topicSimon of team Sigma 2/25/05 3:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: You win this discution...tcm 2/24/05 7:42 p.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...Jorge 2/25/05 4:04 a.m.
                                                                       Re: You win this discution...D-M.A. 2/27/05 2:08 a.m.
           Quick question...Siphonopho 2/24/05 8:09 p.m.
                 Re: Quick question...Steve Levinson 2/25/05 5:07 a.m.
                       Re: Quick question...Nicholai 2/25/05 12:06 p.m.
                             Re: Quick question...Forrest of B.org 2/25/05 4:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Quick question...Adam Ashwell 2/25/05 5:18 p.m.
                                         Re: Quick question...Nicholai 2/25/05 7:38 p.m.
                                               Quick question... how hard woul it be to add theNicholai 2/25/05 7:54 p.m.
                                               Re: Quick question...D-M.A. 2/27/05 2:18 a.m.
                                                     Re: Quick question...Speaker-To-Animals 2/27/05 9:50 a.m.
                                                           Re: Quick question...D-M.A. 2/28/05 12:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Quick question...Speaker-To-Animals 2/28/05 8:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Quick question...goran 2/26/05 12:54 a.m.
           Re: You get what you pay forSpeaker-To-Animals 2/27/05 9:27 a.m.
                 Re: You get what you pay forthermoplyae 2/27/05 4:14 p.m.
           Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Me_43 2/27/05 11:39 p.m.
                 Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Steve Levinson 2/28/05 5:15 a.m.
                       Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Me_43 2/28/05 10:39 p.m.
                             hey where can I see this E0...Nicholai 3/1/05 1:53 p.m.
                                   Re: hey where can I see this E0...Me_43 3/1/05 10:23 p.m.
                             Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!Steve Levinson 3/1/05 9:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Crap! Can't believe I missed this thread!!luke9 3/1/05 9:19 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...thermoplyae 2/27/05 4:13 p.m.
     Re: I get jealous when I see other...tcm 2/28/05 7:13 a.m.
           Re: I get jealous when I see other...Nicholai 3/1/05 1:48 p.m.
                 Re: I get jealous when I see other...tcm 3/2/05 9:49 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.