glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...
Posted By: Master Chief Mabry <Johnnycashak@hotmail.com>Date: 9/9/02 8:16 a.m.

In Response To: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events... (Alexis)

: I am also hoping to see "normal" un-engineered humans wearing
: powered-down versions of the Mark VI armor, shields and all, made to
: augment them without being so fast as to "break" them. I never
: really understood why this couldn't/wasn't be done in the first place...
: Think how much deadlier the Marines would be if they had types of Armor
: better than what they currently use. Time constraints, maybe? Has anyone
: here ever read Starship Troopers?

: Thoughts? Anything to add?

: -Alexis

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time constraints weren't an issue I don't think. Humans were getting schooled by rebels, political non-contents, and pirate years before the covenant came along. From day one, the mjolnir equiped SPARTAN's proved their battle effectiveness, and the suit particularly sparkled on several occasions. If you trust the history introduced by FoR, the Mjolnir armor has been around since before reach was even a military stronghold, so basically back to the very early days of slipstream drive and humanity's expansion into the galaxy. The mark I's were very powerful in their own right, but were power hungry. There was two ways to power them: built in fusion packs 5 times larger then those on the MC's armor, or a form of broadcast energy. (think Tesla and microwave transmission) Both of these are obviously problematic, and in real combat conditions these would make a Mark I equipped soldier more of a liability then an asset.

The Mark V that the MC and his squad wears is a completely different animal altogether. Instead of relying on the controller to physically move the suit, and then use computers to utilize the suits built in hydrolic joints to amplify that movement, the suits computers reads brain impulses directly, and tranforms that thought into real time movement. The problem with this for the average marine is that the suit is so strong, and reacts so quickly (literally the speed of thought) that is broke the bones of the first test subject, because his joints and body could literally not keep up with the suit he was wearing. The SPARTAN's, with their augmented body's (think wolverine without the claws, plus neural enhancements to make their response time 1/20th of a normal human) were the first humans to be strong enough and fast enough to be able to utilize these suits. Because of the way they are designed, possibly too perfectly, they cannot be slowed down. There is no such thing as a Mark V Lite. Yes we could take normal marines and augment them so they too could use the armor, but the fact that over half of them wouldn't survive the augmentation process kinda kills the thing before it starts, no pun intended.

So there's you're answer.. little longer then I intended, but I get into these things once I start em. Maybe with new advancements and as we understand the tech that has been.. borrowed.. from the covies, new suits might be possible. Who knows what HALO 2 has in store. Personally, when it comes to new tech being introduced on screen in the new game, I REALLY want to see a MAC orbital in action. I've seen what a pulse laser can do to a UNSC ship, I'd like to see a little payback in the form of magnetically hyper-accelerated depleted uranium slugs the size of suburbans slaming into a covie cruiser.

-=This isn't a cudgel, you barbarian!=-

Message Index

Replies:

Amazon sales rank.vector40 9/8/02 5:07 a.m.
     Re: Amazon sales rank.Uriel 9/8/02 5:25 a.m.
     add to the madnessUriel 9/8/02 5:28 a.m.
           Re: add to the madnessStick 9/8/02 9:57 a.m.
           Re: add to the madnessDjof 9/8/02 11:17 a.m.
                 Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...Alexis 9/8/02 3:07 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...FrogBlast 9/8/02 4:10 p.m.
                             Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...Postman 9/8/02 8:08 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...Rixor 9/9/02 12:48 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 9/9/02 1:28 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...vector40 9/9/02 2:04 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...*Ar-Isildur of *WP* 9/9/02 2:30 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...vector40 9/9/02 8:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...Andrew Nagy 9/10/02 1:03 p.m.
                                         Re: Book infoAlexisq 9/9/02 1:48 a.m.
                       Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...Master Chief Mabry 9/9/02 8:16 a.m.
                             Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...Alexis 9/9/02 9:23 a.m.
                             Re: Halo 2's in-game explanation of events...vector40 9/9/02 8:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.