Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Battle of the Bay Rocked
Posted By: vector40 <vector40@aol.com>Date: 3/31/02 5:13 p.m.

In Response To: Battle of the Bay Rocked (Psyrixx)

Wee-hoo. A fantastic event. I quite frankly can see little that could have improved it, save for perhaps a ban on grenades (which had a habit of killing me when their skill-less owners could not), shackles for Acidfire (the only person whom I'll admit owned me during the night), and tempered-steel tendons (as, after calling it a night, I spent the entire BART trip back cringing at the pains in my right wrist.)

Yep, it was indeed a nearly-solid ten hours of Haloing. I got to meet Tarrsk (who has too many S's in his name), Appleicious (who is just plain annoying), Allenthar (who... well, you'd have to meet him), Rico (who was simply cool), Pfhor, and a truckload of others. Didn't see Psyrixx, though... strange.

My favorite game of the night was probably the first one we played, a 16-player (or thereabouts) CTF carnagefest in Sidewinder. Some genius set the respawn time to 2 seconds, predictably ending up with a standoff, as it was nearly impossible to infiltrate an enemy base when the instant you killed a defender he respawned RIGHT WHERE HE DIED. However, I absolutely owned that game — either running through the tunnels or pulling the Ghost-through-the-fence trick to get to their base and ripping off some mad pistoleering skills on the defenders. I racked up something like 50-60 kills that game, and scored our team's only two captures (giving us a win) — both performed by ramming a Ghost into the opposing base, running over everybody, and gliding away chortling.

The 16-player Blood Gulch rocketfest was also a practice in insanity, and if you haven't tried this then you've been missing out on life... positively INSANE. We followed it up with a similar match but with only sniper rifles, which was also nice, and was characterized with me dominating left and right with my pistol.

Ah, yes... the pistol. I've always liked it, but if yesterday served one thing, it was that the human pistol rocks. At least, for me — any game that there was a pistol, I had a very good chance of winning, and any game that didn't was up in the air. It's actually sort of unfair — people will be peppering you with all kinds of crazy stuff, you'll give them your onetwothree combination, and... they... die. It's got an easy range from a foot away to across Blood Gulch, and it's pretty maddening to get yourself killed that way (since you don't even get the dignity of a Wrath-of-God sniper explosion.)

C'mon, you guys — at least admit that I rocked with the pistol :)

Another highlight was the one attempt we all made at cooperating... well, never mind, it hurts to think about. It'll be posted sooner or later, probably.

Free drinks were plentiful and so were bathroom runs. Most of which ended up with Haloers being locked out by the maddening, auto-locking door.

Despite a lack of actual tournament-organization, the South-bayers won. Easily. Psshaw.

I had some fun with moving-Warthog mounts and dismounts, which are much harder than they sound but still very cool.

Yes, Acidfire was better than me. Better, in point of fact, than all of us. I can't tell you how many games ended with the scoreboard saying,
"1. Acidfire [not his real name, but I can't remember all the number-for-letter subtitutions]
2. Vector
3-16. Lots of other people"

The aggravating gametype Psyrixx mentions was actually my idea, and yes, it really sucked. Really.

Ahem. Moving along.

(fine. 3 kills. okay? factor in respawn-time growth and it was an exercise in pain)

The 2 vs. 3 DM game that Psy outclassed me in was rigged. We still won, of course, but he somehow fragged better than I... probably my controller was messed up, since the ENTIRE OTHER NINE HOURS I OWNED HIM. Oh well.

The 4 vs. 12 game was lots of fun, and was indeed a fairly close call. But Psy is losing his memory, or perhaps been partaking in some "bad mother," as we call it — when I joined their team to make it 5 vs. 11, we WON.

The only thing I concede to him is a remarkable propensity for rocket whoreing. Some bored gods must be following him around with bagfuls of luck.

Speaking of following, Allenthar doesn't like me.

The low point of the day was probably the last game we played... as Tarrsk says, most folks had gone home already, and the rest of us were toning down with some low-key Rallisport, NASCAR Heat, or whatever. At last, we decided to end the night with one last Halo game.

That ended up being a Chill Out 4-on-4 that, for a number of reasons, more or less sucked, so the "last game" extended to another, a free-for-all DM.

Which lasted about five minutes, with my absolutely dominating. You see, they chose Wizard, a pistol-owned map.

We extended into another Wizard deathmatch. There was a repeat performance, the same except that I increased my win margin.

So we headed for Blood Gulch. Fools that they were, they believed they could escape my pistol that way — but ho, big mistake.

I did some more pistol-slaughtering, so we had another game, same stuff.

And here, well, I don't know, but Appleicious must have been practicing or something, because we were neck-and-neck to the end (50 kills). He kept trying to pull away, but I repeatedly met him, and it was at 48-48 — with me running out of apple-related profanities — that I was sure I would take him once and for all.

... when the end-game statistics suddenly popped up, my eyes boggled, and I made ready to spit something awful at him. But I looked again, and saw that the winner had been...

TARRSK?

Yep, apparently. The bugger had been in third, that was true, but it had been a DISTANT third, and there was no way he could have skipped past us both. But he had — somehow gotten a kill or two in miserable few seconds between me checking the scores (which, at the end, I was doing constantly), then slammed out a double kill to leapfrog me and Apple and take the game.

Oooh... I'll kill that man...

:) But all in all, a terrific gathering. Definite kudos to Rico for handling all the little bits and pieces, as well as securing us a great room. Looking forward to doing it again... when Acidfire has had his arms amputated.

Message Index

Replies:

Battle of the Bay RockedPsyrixx 3/31/02 1:54 a.m.
     It sure did.Appleicious 3/31/02 3:33 a.m.
           BTWAppleicious 3/31/02 4:01 a.m.
                 Re: BTWTarrsk 3/31/02 6:18 a.m.
                       Awesome.Allenthar 3/31/02 12:20 p.m.
                             ehehehPsyrixx 3/31/02 4:56 p.m.
                       Re: BTWNatas 4/3/02 11:34 p.m.
                             Battle of the Bay 2 (Summer 2002)Natas 4/3/02 11:46 p.m.
     Re: Battle of the Bay Rockedvector40 3/31/02 5:13 p.m.
           Re: Battle of the Bay Rockedvector40 3/31/02 5:23 p.m.
           Re: Zappa-doodle-dooTarrsk 3/31/02 6:19 p.m.
           Re: Battle of the Bay RockedPsyrixx 3/31/02 7:14 p.m.
           Re: Battle of the Bay RockedAllenthar 3/31/02 8:14 p.m.
                 Re: Battle of the Bay Rockedvector40 3/31/02 8:52 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.