Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*
Posted By: Patroclus #CP#A <billg@ucdavis.edu>Date: 3/7/02 12:49 a.m.

In Response To: Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP* (emildlux)

: One other thing. The Forerunner=Human Ancestor link is too much of a strech.

I think I agree with this one. Here's an alternative explanation for why the Covenant want to wipe out humanity. I could throw in a bunch of citations but I'm too lazy :D

The covenant found Forerunner sites, possibly another of the Halos, from which they stole much of their technology. These all-powerful-but-absent beings were revered as gods, and the Forerunner strove to learn all they could about them. The covenant learned about the horrors of the Flood, but the Flood had been destroyed so they didn't know anything about what they were, only the destruction they had caused. Their theology converted the Flood into devils.

The covenant discovered humanity, and mistook the humans for the flood. A rabidly expansionist species that was spreading across the galaxy at an tremendous pace? Sounds like a good description of humanity before the Covenant showed up. The covenant knew the forerunner destroyed the flood before, and so sought to replicate the feat.

One possible plot point for Halo 2: what was the Forerunner word for the Flood? Maybe the Marathon logo plastered all over all the human ships and gear is, by tragic coincidence, very similar to that word? If you look at least one of the glyphs in the level 343GS, you can see some oblique similarity.

If that's the case, it would be sort of like us finding space aliens with red and black Swastikas all over them. The covenant would be justified in flipping right the heck out...

Message Index

Replies:

New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*Warbow 3/6/02 3:25 p.m.
     Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*emildlux 3/6/02 7:24 p.m.
           Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*NthDegree256 3/6/02 7:33 p.m.
                 Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*emildlux 3/6/02 8:08 p.m.
                       Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*Tarrsk 3/6/02 11:38 p.m.
           Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*Patroclus #CP#A 3/7/02 12:49 a.m.
           Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*Resistivity 3/7/02 11:40 a.m.
     Re: New theory...way out there...but good! *SP*brad 3/7/02 4:50 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.