Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo 4 Review- the honest truth (opinion reall
Posted By: Cody MillerDate: 1/20/13 9:36 p.m.

In Response To: Halo 4 Review- the honest truth (opinion really) (drossello)

: I’ve enjoyed many things, and not enjoyed some: Story: Bungie never really
: delved into the universe they created the way it should have been done,
: and if they did, they just made a quick look. Story wise, Bungie created a
: great story, but the narration was sloppy and had to be revised many times
: to be fully understood, for example in Reach, they could have explored the
: innies (Insurrectionists) more, but instead, we have fast gameplay moments
: that could have been aid with a small cut scene or other characters in the
: story.

I don't know. The 'universe', or in layman's terms the 'setting', doesn't really need to be explored that freely. The setting is meant to frame a story, and inform us about the characters and their action / motivations.

Why do I keep talking about Star Wars? Anyway, much of the backstory to the original trilogy didn't really need to be shown, since it was really just a way to let us know Darth Vader is evil. In a way, seeing how it actually happens makes it a bit less cool. I know in my mind, when I was a kid, my imagination filled in the gaps as to how he turned to the dark side. So in my mind, the transformation was about as perfect as it could be, fed by my own prejudices and fears and such. It was just this event that happened, and the less specific the details, in a way it was the most powerful. I think most people can agree what we saw in the prequel trilogy didn't really help things…

It's like not seeing the monster. Your mind fills in the gaps terrifying you since it's from your own deepest fears. And so when you have a story set in a much larger world, your imagination can fill in the gaps in a way far more satisfying than actually seeing it. Ironically the more that you don't actually see, the more real the world feels.

But when you go detail every event, every character, every location, you sort of lose that magic. When Bungie really started releasing supplemental material (such as the Halo Graphic Novel), that I think was the beginning of the end for me when it came to the magic. You had stories which were not meant to be told for the sake of them being good stories, but stories being told to flesh out the universe, and of course to make money.

JRR Tolkien said it best when asked about the possibility of writing more LOTR stories:

"I am doubtful myself about the undertaking. Part of the attraction of the L.R. is, I think, due to the glimpses of a large history in the background: an attraction like that of viewing far off an unvisited island, or seeing the towers of a distant city gleaming in a sunlit mist. To go there is to destroy the magic, unless new unattainable vistas are again revealed."

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 4 Review- the honest truth (opinion really)drossello 1/20/13 1:32 p.m.
     Title made me lol *NM*TDSpiral 1/20/13 2:02 p.m.
     Re: Halo 4 Review- the honest truth (opinion reallRagashingo 1/20/13 4:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo 4 Review- the honest truth (opinion reallCody Miller 1/20/13 9:36 p.m.
           Hmmm... *OT*Firestorm12 1/20/13 11:42 p.m.
                 Re: Hmmm... *OT*Flynn J Taggart 1/21/13 12:28 a.m.
                       Re: Hmmm... *OT*Firestorm12 1/21/13 1:15 a.m.
           Excellent post. *NM*Kermit 1/21/13 6:30 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.