Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is up
Posted By: uberfoopDate: 9/20/12 5:51 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is up (cheapLEY)

: I don't
: know. I'll only know for sure when I actually play it, but it seems like
: they've departed too much from how weapons used to sound.

That is an interesting issue, and one that I'm grappling with a bit. The thing is, I'm not sure that there's any particular way that weapons in Halo have traditionally sounded. Halo 2's overall weapon sound style has been very influential, but it's still been mixed up with each game, and CE's is very different (well, and CEA's, which is its own thing as well). Halo 4 probably takes a larger horizontal leap than we've seen before, but the idea of doing so is nothing new.

: The Plasma Pistol especially sounds off. Too mechanical.

I thought that too, though it's been so long since an iteration of plasma weapon sound design has wow'd me that I'm willing to give it a shot.

: Maybe these videos just aren't capturing the experience as much as actually
: playing the game, but something just bugs me about most of the weapon
: sounds. They seem to lack the punch of the weapon sounds of Reach. They
: sound weak and fake to me.

That's definitely an effect that can be dependant on playing the game, and when watching these videos I try to filter my perspective as well as possible toward actual gameplay feel as opposed to hearing the sounds in and of themselves.

The CEA/CE sound difference is pertinant here. The bangyness that everything in CEA has makes the sounds seem far more powerful in and of themselves, but I think the original CE sounds resonate with the mechanics and style (and weapon cadences) in a way which makes them seem very solid and grounded. For all the praise the CEA sniper rifle gets, I find that using it in the original game is a meatier experience.

It's like if you were to try and blow up a balloon really big. The most solid, powerful-feeling sound design is when you blow the balloon up big and stop. The really bangy stuff is what happens if you blow it up until the balloon pops, and then you keep on blowing.

: I guess it's just nitpicking, but I don't know.

Expressing concern about something that is going to be present constantly throughout something which many people will put hundreds of hours into is hardly "nitpicking." Especially since most of your concerns seem to be directed systematically as opposed to at individual details.

Seriously, it's infuriating how often the term "nitpick" gets launched at concerns over huge aspects of a game experience.

Message Index

Replies:

Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upuberfoop 9/20/12 5:11 p.m.
     Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upcheapLEY 9/20/12 5:26 p.m.
           Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upuberfoop 9/20/12 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upcheapLEY 9/20/12 5:58 p.m.
     Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upArchilen 9/20/12 5:31 p.m.
     Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upDEEP NNN 9/20/12 6:18 p.m.
     Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upDruff 9/20/12 8:10 p.m.
           Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upDrDoctor 9/20/12 11:11 p.m.
     I don't... TOTALLY hate them.Azo 'Galvat 9/20/12 11:36 p.m.
     Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upGeneral Vagueness 9/22/12 8:28 p.m.
     Re: Covenant weapon sounds w/o wub is upGeneral Vagueness 9/24/12 5:03 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.