Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent Cartographer
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 6/26/12 6:38 p.m.

In Response To: Marine Blasting on The Silent Cartographer (PerseusSpartacus)

: I recently tried to email Rockslider about some fun you can have on The
: Silent Cartographer, but he said he was too busy.

Geez, what a meanie eh? But before you give anyone the wrong idea, what I said was that I already had a huge backlog to work on, so I encouraged you to go ahead and post your own account - which I'm glad to see you have.

: The basic idea of this fun is that you can modify a potential Hunter Firework
: into a frozen bomb. This bomb can then be dropped into the midst of a
: maximum of six Marines, all in Warthogs, blowing them all to smithereens.

Ok, what you've got here is an example of the tag bang launch method I put forth in High Impact Halo in late 2010. Namely the idea of tagging a frozen AI then killing and 'releasing' (unfreezing) him to make the plasmas go off together to send stuff flying. I never quite got around to posting an article about that on my site, and I'm guessing you weren't aware of it. However, I think you've done a pretty nice job of describing a specific set-up, and perhaps it'll hurry me along to showing some tag bang launching in my movies sometime soon - not to mention Hunter fireworks.

: First, you should start the level on Easy, that way the Hunters don't kill
: you so easily and so that you have some reasonably healthy (or at least
: living) Marines for having fun with.

On the other hand though, it's much easier leading a Hunter on Normal as they're so hesitant on Easy.

: As soon as the Warthog is fully
: manned, drive it off to the plateau that the Pelican crashes into later

You could alternatively leave all the Marine transporting until after the Hunter is in position, yes?

: You now have a full set of Marines to blow up.

So, six Marines in three hogs - that's the picture?

: Bring the Hunter back to the Pelican Plateau, and leave him standing
: relatively close to the ocean. I say close to the ocean because the
: release line is sort of in between the plateau and the main cliff, so it's
: best if you keep him closer to the sea.

I'm not familiar with that release line - I'll have to check it out - but just out of interest, was your Hunter pretty much where I had my massed Hunters in BCM34, or closer to the sea, or what? It sounds like you've got him quite a way away from the release line, but if you have him close to the release line you could witness the bang at close range, and you could even contribute a rocket.

: When that happens, head back to the Hunter, and you'll
: find him frozen just like in Elite Fireworks.

I expect you meant Hunter fireworks there.

: Now hop in a Warthog and drive it to the opposite side of the Hunter (closer
: to the cliff). Drive straight through the Hunter and spin around as you
: come through him.

I have a suggestion for a possible simplification. Kill him with a pistol shot instead, and you'll know he'll pretty much fall on the spot when released. You won't need to check where he's going to go.

: However, when they
: see the grenades, they will start staring at them even after you cross the
: release line, making the situation all the more comedic.

I'm picturing it now.

: You could even blow up everyone except him, at which point he'll
: say some fun thing like "My men are not the enemy!"

Cyborgs always get the blame eh?

: Spare grenades would be nice, but it'd be very difficult, if not impossible,
: to do, especially on Easy. You'd have to lure Grunts and Elites to just
: the right spot and then kill them right there, hoping they drop spare
: plasmas. In sum, better to just stick with the usual four plasmas you have
: in your inventory.

Prior to positioning the Hunter, you could lure the gold Elite to the general area and kill him to get dropped plasmas. Then lead the Hunter to where the plasmas fell. There's also the possibility of getting dropped frags from Marines you're not going to launch of course. But also, if you don't mind a lot of running about, you could potentially tag the Hunter with a load of plasmas from other covies (which you don't even need to've killed yet), thus ending up with a massive launch - which is the sort of thing I was getting at with my HIH post.

Bad Cyborg

Message Index

Replies:

Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerPerseusSpartacus 6/26/12 4:12 p.m.
     Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerRockslider 6/26/12 6:38 p.m.
           Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerPerseusSpartacus 6/26/12 7:32 p.m.
                 Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerRockslider 6/27/12 2:41 a.m.
                       Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerPerseusSpartacus 6/27/12 6:04 p.m.
                             Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerRockslider 6/28/12 12:32 a.m.
                                   Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerPerseusSpartacus 6/28/12 9:33 p.m.
                                         Re: Marine Blasting on The Silent CartographerRockslider 6/29/12 3:38 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.